• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Pet crematorium

Otis

Cyburbian
I've recently gotten an inquiry about a pet crematorium as an accessory use to an existing veterinarian's office and kennel in a general commercial zone. I think it's kinda on the edge as an accessory use, but want ot get other's opinions/experience. We have a human crematory in town as apart of a mortuary in the general commercial zone and I doubt many people are aware of its existence.

SGB

Cyburbian
I dealt with this question in a similar context a number of years ago when I had zoning admin responsibilities.

I said yes to allowed accessory use, but required a copy of the state air quality permit prior to issuing a building permit. (Copies of all state & federal permits prior to issuing a building permit was my standard procedure.)

This was not a popular decision with the adjacent residential neighborhoods. IIRC, the zoning board upheld my decision on appeal.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I haven't ever thought about it. I suppose enough pets are brought in dead, or die in their care :(, to consider this service. If you have established a crematory in a GC zone previously, I don't see why one for animals couldn't be acceptable. Perhaps you could restrict the type or size of animals cremated? What about the possibility of other vets shipping their animals for cremation?

SGB

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
What about the possibility of other vets shipping their animals for cremation?
A very good question! I seem to recall being told that crematories are more efficient and less costly to run in longer runs - that is to say with multiple and/or consecutive animals being disposed of at one time..