• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

PETA strikes Buffalo!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This is somewhat related to the thread about city name changes. I'm quoting the entire article from the Buffalo News, because articles are kept online for only a few days.

HAMBURG
Rename town? $15,000 bid would dub it Veggieburg
By MARY PASCIAK
News Southtowns Bureau
4/22/2003

A national animal rights group is offering schools in Hamburg $15,000 in nonmeat patties if the town changes its name to Veggieburg.

A spokesman from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said that the offer is a bit tongue-in-cheek but that the group is ready to put its money where its mouth is.

"I hope they get a little chuckle about it, and then I hope they think about it," said Joe Haptas, a campaign coordinator for PETA. "Our offer is serious as a heart attack."

Monday, Haptas faxed Hamburg Supervisor Patrick H. Hoak a letter outlining the offer, noting that "the town's name conjures up visions of unhealthy patties of ground-up dead cows."

Upon hearing that description, Hoak - who comes from a family of restaurateurs - paused briefly, then responded diplomatically.

"With all due respect, I think it's a delicacy in our community," the supervisor said.

Hoak said that he appreciated the offer of veggieburgers for schoolchildren but that he was not racing off to order a new town letterhead to make that possible.

"In Western New York and in the Town of Hamburg, we're proud of our name and proud of our heritage," he said. "We're not going to easily give up that name."

The Buffalo suburb, which has been named Hamburg since 1812, has for more than 100 years claimed to be the birthplace of that American culinary cornerstone.

Local lore has it that brothers Charles and Frank Menches ran out of pork sausage at the 1885 Erie County Fair. So the Ohio men bought some beef, ground it up, tossed in some brown sugar and coffee, and - voila - the hamburger was born.

Each year, thousands of people flock to Hamburg to celebrate Burgerfest, commemorating the birth of a food that's synonymous throughout the world - for better or for worse - with American cuisine.

While Hoak notes the pride that Hamburg residents take in their claim to American history, Haptas points not only to the suffering of the animals who are slaughtered to make the meat, but to what he says are adverse health effects for people who eat burgers.

Two in three people in the United States are overweight, he said, and that is due in large part to the millions of hamburgers consumed each year. Haptas ticks off a list of ailments he connects to eating hamburgers: heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes.

"On average, vegetarians live seven years longer," he said.

"When people choose veggieburgers over hamburgers, it's a win-win. They're dramatically healthier for people, and animals don't have to be killed."

Repo Man

Cyburbian
The City of Seymour Wisconsin may have a problem with Hamburg about the origin of the Hamburger

As for PETA, I really think that they would get their message across to a wider audience if they tamed their "shock and awe" ad campaign. When you tell the Green Bay Packers to change their name to the "Pickers" because of your anti-meat packing stance, you are going to turn off 99 percent of the people who read about it. Same with the tasteless ad below.

If PETA would concentrate on real animal cruelty issues, they might get some support, but their tastless ads just make people laugh at their stupidity.

donk

Cyburbian
As a person who dislikes activists like this, they do have one good thing to say:

"PETA claims beer is more nutritious than milk, referencing a recent Harvard Medical School health study that reports beer consumption in moderation can provide protection against certain major medical ailments such as heart attacks, strokes and hypertension."

http://www.ccchronicle.com/back/2002-10-21/campus8.html

Repo Man

Cyburbian
What happens when PETA finds out that the spent grains used in the brewing process is often sold to local farmers for cattle feed?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
What about the little dude wearing shorts....wuss

I thought the same thing. At least he could wear a speedo or tighties to present the illusion....

donk

Cyburbian
Of course the shoes are not leather, they are made out of plastic, that uses oil /petroleum products as the primary ingredient. Only people and birds die for oil, not like leather which is a waste product from us carnivores.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
My sister is vegan and whenever I used to tease her about owning leather products she used to shoot back - "well, I don't eat my shoes."

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Not a supporter of PETA

When I worked at Yale University, I performed surgeries on Golden Hamsters. Without going into the gory details, let's just say at times, after a behavior experiement in which a male interacted with a female, I had to sacrifice the male so that we could get his brain tissue. After I "obtained" the brain tissue, the tissue was then cut very thin so we could stain neurons and look at them under the microscope.

PETA has a right to be concerned about the fate of animals at university research centers. It is gut-wrenching to think about what happens to the primates in cages with tubes stuck into every orifice. But PETA's tactics are so over the top that no one in their right mind is going to pay attention to them. I certainly feel great sadness for the hundreds of hamsters I sacrificed, but from a cost-benefit perspective, the work I did ultimately has paid-off for our society. I have no regrets.

Not that I watched it, I swear! But I remember reading an article about Corey Feldman on Surreal Life getting into an argument with one of his housemates about how he wasn't hypocritical for being a vegetarian and wearing a leather belt and shoes.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I'd love to belong to a middle of the road PETA...I don't agree with everything they are against but I do agree with what they stand for, somewhat.

I feel animals should be treated humanely, i.e. lets not pour bleach into a dogs eyes to see how long it takes him to go blind, etc. But I do realize we are the top of the food chain. And to the victor come the spoils of war. I don't eat red meat but I do eat fish and poultry.

Here's a conundrum.......why treat an animal like a human when it's not one?

I guess I'm like most people....a walking contradiction because I'm leather shoe-wearing carnivore and quite proud of it.

donk

Cyburbian
We don't have to treat animals like humans, but we should treat them humanely. As the top of the food chain, we know what we are doing and have control over what we do, so we should do the right thing and care for those things that are unable to care for themselves or are going to provide us benefit from their bodies.

I dated a girl in university that tried to argue with me that it was ok for her to wear leather shoes as it was the waste product from us carnivores, I countered that I was actually consuming the waste from her leather shoes.

I have no problems with vegetarians and vegans, I have a problem with preachy ones.

Ok, I will admit to watching the beginning of the first episode, but after that, I just read recaps on the internet.