• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Administration / review / process "Petition" or "application"

We're undergoing a reorganization and some rewriting of our development codes, and I suggested renaming all requests for development approval "petitions" instead of "applications". I don't have a strong reason for the change, other than that "petition" seems more serious and formal. From a little bit of searching I found that one or the other term is popular in different states and regions, but probably not many people give it any thought as to why they use one instead of the other. But I'm curious if anyone out there has an opinion on the matter. Thanks.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
I go with application. Petition more often refers to protests, voting items, and court documents. I'd say follow the state, but I'm down the street from you and Kansas says nothing on the topic.

I go with application. Petition more often refers to protests, voting items, and court documents. I'd say follow the state, but I'm down the street from you and Kansas says nothing on the topic.
Same here - we use application. MI statute uses the word application, and only uses petition as the means to protest a zoning amendment.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I use petition if some relief is needed, like a special permit, variance and the like whereas an application is a request for things like site plan review or design review