• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Philly

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I prefer to think of the place as The City That Loves You Back.

Great city, IMHO, but ... well, much more of it isn't. It really does have a lot of litter, a lot of grime (as opposed to good 'ol grit), and a lot of decay. Surprising, considering its location in the Northeast Corridor. It has critical mass to be so much more.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Funny thing -- I was pleasantly surprised during my visits to Philly. I was doing some work on a project in West Philly, and it actually reminded me of Detroit (with less decay). Lots of homeownership, although the quality of many of the rowhouses leaves much to be desired. And Center City was much more vibrant than I anticipated.

I got a chance to see huge parts of West, South and North Philly (the filth in filthadelphia), but didn't see any of Northeast Philly.

Dharmster

Cyburbian
I like Philadelphia. Center City Philadelphia has undergone a renaissance in the last 15 years and offers so many amenities at a much more affordable price than Manhattan (not to mention its more livable). There are also some nice areas near the city line in Northwest (Germantown, Manyunk) but the rest of the city is just really grimey and run down. Philadelphia I believe was hardest hit by deindustrialization and the white flight that accompanies suburbanization. Finally, the level of financial support Philadelphia recieves from the Commonwealth is small compared to what say Baltimore or New York City get from there states.

I really think the new Mayor Street's efforts to open up development by clearing blight (tearing down whole blocks) is a great idea. Rendell already stared down the unions and got the financial books in order. The city has a lot of potential, it just needs to attract more taxpaying citizens back into the city or it faces a bleak future.

Dan said:
I prefer to think of the place as The City That Loves You Back.

Great city, IMHO, but ... well, much more of it isn't. It really does have a lot of litter, a lot of grime (as opposed to good 'ol grit), and a lot of decay. Surprising, considering its location in the Northeast Corridor. It has critical mass to be so much more.

Jeff

Cyburbian
North and West Philly give us a bad name.

I'm all for taking the dozers and just grazing these sections of the city and starting over. The city is actually trying to do just that in alot of neighborhoods because the houses are just falling down, but they are meeting alot of resistance.

I live in NW Philly (Roxborough) beautiful neighborhood as is all of center city and most of the NE.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mike DeVuono said:
North and West Philly give us a bad name.

I'm all for taking the dozers and just grazing these sections of the city and starting over. The city is actually trying to do just that in alot of neighborhoods because the houses are just falling down, but they are meeting alot of resistance.

I live in NW Philly (Roxborough) beautiful neighborhood as is all of center city and most of the NE.
I lived in Olney and Oak Lane (right at the end of the Orange Line subway). Blue collar and upscale blue collar, respectively... Really *not* bad parts of the city, at least back then, considering they were really part of the infamous "north Philly". Did you grow up there, Mike? I'm a Central grad...

Jeff

Cyburbian
Yup, I've lived here my whole life. Grew up in the NE (Frankford) right by Bridge & Pratt and went to Roman Catholic. Years ago Olney and West/East Oak Lane weren't bad neighborhoods. But hate to break it to you, they're ghetto now as is my old neighborhood for that fact.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
That sucks...

Mike DeVuono said:
Yup, I've lived here my whole life. Grew up in the NE (Frankford) right by Bridge & Pratt and went to Roman Catholic. Years ago Olney and West/East Oak Lane weren't bad neighborhoods. But hate to break it to you, they're ghetto now as is my old neighborhood for that fact.
Guess going back for a tour of the old stomping grounds wouldn't be wise... I'll just have to stick to Cheltenham where we went to pick up... erm, nevermind.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Damn Cheltenham isn't much better. No Olney and the Oak Lanes aren't terribly dangerous like North Philly they have just seen better days, and are starting to get really run down.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mike DeVuono said:
Damn Cheltenham isn't much better. No Olney and the Oak Lanes aren't terribly dangerous like North Philly they have just seen better days, and are starting to get really run down.
Jenkintown?! Thow me a crumb here, for Pete's sake!

With Planderella's theme topic in mind, I always think of the opening credits to Fresh Prince for Philadelphia:

Back in Philadelphia, born and raised,
On a playground's where I spent most of my days
chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool
just shootin' some b-ball outside of the school

Jeff

Cyburbian
Jenkintown is still just like you left it I'm sure. Of coure 611 may look a little different (big box stores).

Top Bottom