• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

PhillyCarShare

jresta

Cyburbian
This is taking off of the "Oh the price of freedom." thread where the Duke was ribbing Jordan about car sharing.

To start, i'm not a carshare member but I don't own a car either. It's feet, bike, or transit for me. When i do need a car I need it for the whole day and even then it's normally because Amtrak is just too damn expensive. So i go on expedia and find myself the cheapest car (usually about $26 for the day after taxes).

The only thing I "need" in the suburbs is the bowling alley and Ikea. Ikea is about 20 miles away and the trip never takes less than 3 hours r/t. With PhillyCarShares relatively modest prices that would cost me $9.90 for time and $6.60 for mileage. $16.20 isn't bad if you're splitting it - especially when gas is covered by them. Tuesday night is $1 bowling in Cherry Hill. $1 a game, $1 beers, $1 fries, and $2 for shoes. I spend about $8. It's only 12 miles away but by the time I leave and return it's probably about 4 hours so the car might cost me $15. Even if you're splitting the ride it's still expensive to do every week. So PATCO it is.

PhillyCarShare recently won a CMAQ grant and i happen to be managing the project. They're putting 4 new cars at either end of the El. 4 new cars at the northern end of the Subway. 3 cars at the end of a regional rail line ( 3 miles for Ikea). 8 cars spread out between three trolley lines. These significantly reduces the cost of using PCS for suburban trips. The expansion happens to be geared toward low-income users who find themselves more and more pushed to the fringes of the city and far from most conveniences but it gives a break to the Center City users who might forgo the trip because of how long (in terms of time and mileage) it would take if you tried to start the trip from the center of town.

Right now their cars are confined to 4 locations in Center City and one in University City. They've been on the road for just over a year and they're turning a profit (they're non-profit so the money goes towards expansion and lowering rates) but i think once they roll out 37 new cars on the outskirts of the city and in the suburbs they're really going to take off.

Now if we can just get the city to dump the "one off-street space" parking requirement for new construction.

tsc

Cyburbian
looks like a great program. Do you have a link to more info?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Carshare is starting to take off here - we are struggling with how to incorporate it into development regs though. It's not like every development can provide a car-sharing facility.

jresta

Cyburbian
http://www.phillycarshare.org/

it doesn't say anything yet about the new cars but they might just be waiting 'til we have the project under contract with PennDOT.

If you click on "Locations" it shows a lot more cars than i had mentioned. I'm not sure if they've really bought that many new cars or if they've been spreading their fleet around as people donate parking spaces.

There's a subway under Broad St. and a subway under Market St. It would take 12 minutes to ride from the Old City location to the Spruce Hill location. The same trip by car would take 15 minutes at night and a half hour or more during the day.

http://www.septa.org/parking_project/fullmap.html

The probable locations:

Frankford Trans. Center. (Blue Line)
69th St. Terminal (Blue Line)
Olney (Orange Line)
Norristown Trans. Center (R6 or Purple Line)
Cecil B. Moore/Temple U. (Orange Line)
Germantown (R7/R8)
West Philly (Blue/Green Line)
Southwest Philly (Green Lines 11&13)
Southwest Philly (Buses 12,52,108,G, 64)
Soutwest Center City (Buses 7,12,64,40,17)

jresta

Cyburbian
leave it to BKM to be more intrigued by the band I quoted than about PhillyCarShare. :) Anyway, my avatar, that's been there for quite some time, is a picture of Emma Goldman. If i had hero she might be it.

Did i miss something with the beer avatars?

What city are you in Tranplanner? Agreed, it's hard to incorporate it into every new development if you are working in a city that is still growing geographically. PCS is trying to market it to developers as a way to cut the parking requirements - appealing to their bottom line. We'll see how cooperative the zoning board is and eventually, city council on passing a new ordinance.

BKM

Cyburbian
If I lived in San Francisco (or even Berkeley), jresta, I would definitely be more intrigued by a Carshare. With three dogs, a severe case of "restlessness" and a location 50 miles from the big city, I won't be giving up my car very soon :( Its just an excuse, maybe, but I have a lot of 'em. Plus, as a confirmed addict of the tailpipe, I LIKE to drive.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
jresta said:

What city are you in Tranplanner? Agreed, it's hard to incorporate it into every new development if you are working in a city that is still growing geographically. PCS is trying to market it to developers as a way to cut the parking requirements - appealing to their bottom line. We'll see how cooperative the zoning board is and eventually, city council on passing a new ordinance.
I'm in Toronto, Ontario. We've had some developers interested in exploring the provision of carsharing facilities, but it is not being considered as a way to allow developers to reduce parking requirements for individual developments. Our downtown parking regs for multi-unit developments are fairly low - 0.5 spaces/unit for bachelor, 0.7 spaces/unit for one bedroom, and 1 space/unit for two bedroom, with 0.06 spaces/unit required for visitor parking. Visitor parking requirements are often reduced/eliminated where an applicant demonstrates it is practicable (e.g. building is in proximity to rapid transit, availablitly of commercial parking close to site). Increasingly, it is the market which is determining actual parking rates - developers are selling underground parking spaces for up to $30,000 (CDN), so many people don't bother buying a space. In some cases, developers have come back after an application is approved to get a reduction in parking based on the number of spots they've actually sold.

There are a few large-scale, City-driven redevelopment projects in progress right now where we have written in policies to actively promote the establishment of carsharing facilities in order to obtain reductions in area-wide parking requirements - exactly how much of a reduction will be implemented we still need to determine.

jresta

Cyburbian
The market produces some much better parking "requirements" than city hall. We're only starting to get into that now with the construction of our first "parkominium".
Yeah, a condo for cars, where a space will cost you about $35k US and annual fees pay for garage security and maintenance.
People are already speculating in parking spaces. It's crazy.

http://citypaper.net/articles/2003-09-04/cityspace2.shtml

At any rate, I think as long as a city puts forth good design codes in respect to walking and cycling and provides a good transit system that the market will make having a car in the city too expensive for most.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Thats BS! God forbid we have meaningful development in Olde City, or Philly for that matter.

You can't get more walkable than Olde City, its a shame.

BTW...I like your car-share program, I wish you well! Too bad it wasn't around when I was running the Mobility Alternatives Program, I could've hooked you up with some advertising.

jresta

Cyburbian
ohh - it's not my program. PCS is their own entity. We're just managing a grant they won through the CMAQ process.

I've heard about the MAP stuff. That's still going on right?

Jeff

Cyburbian
jresta said:

I've heard about the MAP stuff. That's still going on right?
The FHWA still feeds it money to be secretly spent on planning for more highways if thats what you mean ;)