• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Phish will fold after summer tour

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From the Indianapolis Star Wednesday May 26, 2004

Phish, the enormously popular jam band that experimented with myriad musical genres and whose legions of dedicated fans made the group a younger version of The Grateful Dead, announced Tuesday that it is breaking up.

The surprise announcement came as the band prepared to release a new album, "Undermind," on June 15. And the band will still embark on a summer tour June 17.

More from the AP Wire at:
http://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...982.story?coll=sns-ap-entertainment-headlines

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Yeah, I heard about this on the radio last night.

They said they want to end it before they become a caricature of themselves, like some bands that have been around forever and a day (can you say Rolling Stones?)

There are going to be alot of college drop-outs left by the side of the road though. ;-)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's no secret that Phish inherited the Grateful Deads' fan base, but would I be inviting too much rath by suggesting that the group's sound was rather derivative?

Let me try this from another direction. The Dead sounded the way they did because they WERE the embodiment of the 60's. Lysergic acid played a prominent role in the creation of the whole hippy sound and I seem to remember hearing once that Jerry Garcia & Co. may have experimented with marijuana or possibly other substances on several occasions. Phish on the other hand seem to me like these guys were all first chair in their respective high school band (drugs are really not the issue here but rather the culture surrounding them). Excellent musical technicians but they're not the 'real thing'.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Good Riddance!

I'll bet the members form another band and continue the tradition. Who steps in now as the jam-band de jour?

biscuit

Cyburbian
I have to admite that even though I own an album of thiers, I was never a big Phish fan and won't really miss them. Although, there are some friends of mine who will be crushed by the news....being the dirty hippies that they are.

Repo Man said:
Good Riddance!

I'll bet the members form another band and continue the tradition. Who steps in now as the jam-band de jour?
Widespread Panic maybe

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Never liked the Dead, never liked Phish....means nothing to me that they'll be gone.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I own many studio albums and hundreds of hours of bootleg recording of their concerts from 1983 to 2000. I was a big fan of theirs back in college but have since expanded my musical taste and have not purchased or obtained any of their music in several years.

While I'm sad to see the end of an era and a band that I had lots of fun with in collage I won't really miss them.

The bands I think will pick up the slack are.

moe. or Ekoostik Hookah

SGB

Cyburbian
Favorite headline thus far, from the Boston Globe:

Members of Phish decide it's time to cut bait