• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Phobias

What are your phobias?

• Bugs

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Heights

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Land use attorneys

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yankees or other culturally alien beings

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Airplanes

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other to be explained below

Votes: 22 50.0%

• Total voters

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Have we done phobias yet? I've only been on here since Sept. so I may have missed it. If not, what are yours?

Runner

Cyburbian
Hillery Clinton / Al Sharpton ticket for 2008, and they actually get elected.

Scary, very scary.

Makes a shiver run up my spine just thinking about it!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol um i have a phobia of falling snow*

yes its strange and yes living in NoVa right now is getting me past that.

* the fear is of the FALLING snow. Im fine once its on the ground

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm not so keen on heights, but different types of heights. Airplanes...no problem. Observation decks where you can look out but not straight down, no problem. I just don't like that vertigo feeling when I look straight down.

Other phobia: swimming in the ocean when the visability is low.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
It's not the heights that bother me, nor the thought of falling, it's the hitting the ground that hurts! So, yeah, I am slightly intimidated by heights if I think I could fall... But I really dislike enclosed, dark spaces. I'm never going caving again. Ever. (I was pretty brave to go the first time IMO)

donk

Cyburbian
Mine is pretty silly, I am scared of being electrocuted. I think those run ins with electric fences and cattle prods as a kid took their toll on me. Most of my appliances and sthings at home are on breaker bars, so i can turn the electricity off before I unplug them.

My other one is needles / giving blood. No chance me being a junky. I had to go for a blood test last week and I warned the tech that needles made me queasy, she was like tough it out, she and another lady had to pick me up off of the floor.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Im with ya there Donk, i dont mind other folks blood but seeing mine-even a small bit the alarms go off in my head and the lights go out.

this is a closed system-if i see my own blood there is a serious problem.

I think this fear of my blood and pricks comes from 3 spinal taps, a broken off needle, and military docs/techs...god they are mean as hell.

donk

Cyburbian
My funniest / most embarrassing blood story is as follows.
in High School they had a blood donor clinic, I saw the packages of blood and some friends with really white looks on their faces. I go to class and am sitting there. I get up because I am feeling queasy and head to the nurses office, I woke up in the nurses office, not knowing how I got there. It turns out I made it tothedoor of the class room and about 6 steps down the hall and then I passed out. Note,I did not give blood, this is only from seeing it and others that had.

Maybe this phobia is worse then the electicity one.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
donk said:
My other one is needles / giving blood. No chance me being a junky. I had to go for a blood test last week and I warned the tech that needles made me queasy, she was like tough it out, she and another lady had to pick me up off of the floor.
This is mine to a T! I've passed out during half of my blood tests, and once passed out during a first aid video at the sight of spurting blood.

NHPlanner

Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
sounds like it-thank god your not a woman and have to give birth
The funny thing is that I think I'll be OK when my wife gives birth. I've seen births before (though never in person) and they didn't bother me for some reason....

And I WILL be there when my wife gives birth (crossing fingers that that will be in 9 months!).

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
just watching them on TV or in class and i pass out, if everyone is lucky i dont throw up too. freaks me the hell out-im glad i cant have kids i could not do that mess.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I hate needles too - but I can suck it up when it's time for a blood test. Of course, it's been 10 years since I had one...

el Guapo

Capitalist
NHPlanner said:

The funny thing is that I think I'll be OK when my wife gives birth. I've seen births before (though never in person) and they didn't bother me for some reason....

And I WILL be there when my wife gives birth (crossing fingers that that will be in 9 months!).
Tim,
The key to performing well in the clutch is practice. You need some time in the simulator. Soak a cat in tomato soup and then have someone try to shove it out a section of 6" sch40 PVC all the while a tape of blood thining screams are blasting in the background. That should prepare you for the birth. :)

MY PHOBIA - Crowds of People - everything from war refugees to shoppers at Wal-Mart make me wish for personal space. I'm looking forward to my trip to Calcutta, India with my wife in 2006.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Heights but only when balancing is involved like on a ladder. I don't like being undewater either.

This isn't a phobia but is anyone else incapable of running down stairs for no good reason?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I used to have a thing with needles, but I got over it after I sold plasma for a semester in grad school.

donk

Cyburbian
I thought I was over the needle thing too, after last year's trip to the hospital, but recent experience shows other wise.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I am squeamish watching needles, but if I look away it doesn't hurt... so I guess I don't care. I give blood every six months or so, so it hasn't stopped me from being needled from time to time. Watching Requiem for a Dream was a bit difficult though... I kept having to close my eyes during the needle sceens. ewww.

Here's a new one: my boyfriend has a fear of standing water. Like if an intersection is flooded or the basement. Horror movies where they have to walk through flooded areas always freaks him out. At first I thought it was a bit strange... but the more I think about it, it is a little freaky.

Cockroaches.....they are very common in this area and everyone is prone to having one in their house regardless of income, type of house, neighborhood or level of cleanliness. Even still, I absolutely hate those little b*st*rds!!!!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Cockroaches.....they are very common in this area and everyone is prone to having one in their house regardless of income, type of house, neighborhood or level of cleanliness. Even still, I absolutely hate those little b*st*rds!!!!
Oh god! Cockroaches... I hear ya! We don't have them in Alberta (or snakes supposedly). And I don't miss them!

In college we had the worst cockroach problem in my apartment. My roommate and I did everything we could to get rid of them... bombed the place, cleaned everything spotless, never left food out, etc... but still, you'd turn on the light in the middle of the night and you would see dozens scurry everywhere. We found out that the lady that lived below us was a terrible housekeeper and they were breeding down there and coming up the pipes. The super' went in to her apartment one day and found something like 60 cockroaches both alive and dead. Creeped me out so much I had to move when my lease was up. Ick!

Habanero

Cyburbian
I don't like swimming in the ocean, I'm not too fond of heights, and I'm unnerved around little people.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Planderella said:
In college they would start spraying the married student housing apartments at one end of the building. They were long "L" shaped buildings. I would set up a toxic barrier of death on the wall towards the exterminator's start point. As the roaches, which are smart bastards, would try to get away from the spray they would move from apartment to apartment. Upon reaching mine they would hit a mix of roach powder, roach nerve agent, and roach genetic modifier. I tell you many roach felt the taste of death those days!

Not a phobia - just a hatred.

donk

Cyburbian
I lived in residence during first year, one of the guys on my floor set the fire alarm and sprinkler system off hunting **** roaches with a home made flamethrower (aerosol deodorant and a lighter)

kms

Cyburbian
My phobia is crowds, too. I feel trapped; maybe the real phobia is claustrophobia. Crowded places, buses, airplanes all make me uneasy. Crowds bring out the worst in me; it's the cultural equivalent pf PMS!

My own quirky phobia is having someone block my car into a parking space. As soon as it happens, I want to go home NOW. This fear even prevents me from going to some places. It also keeps me out of lines of cars at school pickup. I can't stand being blocked in by cars in front of and behind me.

Tom R

Cyburbian
fear

Needles, snakes, even attorneys (is there a meaningful difference?) don't bother me. My subliminal fear is a fear of not being afraid. Let me 'splane. What if there REALLY IS A GOD AND HELL etc? I don't believe it , and I won't know until the big one comes, but if there is, I see trouble. Maybe I should just aclimate myself to heat, just in case.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
It's an odd one.

I have what I call "squashophobia"... The fear of being smashed flat. Work under a car on jackstands? Not a chance... If it has even the most REMOTE chance of falling on me, I won't get under it. I had to fix water lines under a mobile home, that was on blocks and tied down, and I came out of there shaking and sweating.

And it isn't enclosed spaces... I have no problem spelunking or getting in tight spots. Just UNDER things gives me the willies.

NHPlanner

Staff member
El Guapo said:

Tim,
The key to performing well in the clutch is practice. You need some time in the simulator. Soak a cat in tomato soup and then have someone try to shove it out a section of 6" sch40 PVC all the while a tape of blood thining screams are blasting in the background. That should prepare you for the birth. :)
Thanks Guap....I'll have to run that one by my wife! :)

BKM

Cyburbian
needles, dentists, and eye exams

Needles and dentists.

My employer is CONSTANTLY running Blood Drives. I have not done my patriotic duty. I just won't.

I know my cholestorol is too high (cheese and chocolate!), but one test a couple years ago is enough.

Dentists: The hygenicist suggested gas for my next cleaning. I wore a tee-shirt, because I usually sweat through any more formal clothing. And, this is with high-tech dental equipment (ultrasonic cleaning instead of crick-crick-crick with a probe)

Eye exams are almost as bad to me. I still wear glasses because the thought of putting things in my eyes still creeps me out.

Mary Poppins

Cyburbian
I have a few different phobias..not sure if they are considered phobias or just paranoia, but I will let you all in on them anyway!

I am petrified of bridges...for some odd reason I am afraid when I am on a bridge it is going to just fall into the water below. Odd thing though...on the way home from my honeymoon, I drove accross the Confederation Bridge and that didn't seem to bother me at all since you can't see over the barriers on either side.

I am afraid that my car is going to be engulfed in water and I am going to die inside because I can't get the door open with the pressure of the water.

I am claustrophobic and can't have anything covering my face, a crowded elevator would give me a reason to use the stairs and get a little more exercise!!:)

I am petrified of boats, and think that they are going to sink. The Cat ferry to Nova Scotia was horrible and I will never get on that thing again.

Other than the claustrophobia thing I am pretty much scared of anything that involves large bodies of water. I am ok in swimming pools, but I won't swim in the ocean, mainly because I hate the salt water, but also because there are big fish and things in there!!

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
OOH! The eye doctor thing reminded me. It's not really a phobia, but that stupid gluacoma test at the eye doctor. That puff of air thing they shoot in your eye. I hate that!

I hate knives and straight razors. Would use them myself, since I would be in control, but hate watching someone using them on tv/movies

Also hate driving through mountains, especially being a passenger on a road with barely a shoulder.

Mary P - I understand the bridge thing! The Mackinac Bridge, which connects the lower peninsula and upper peninsula of Michigan is 5 miles long and at the heighest point 550 feet over Lake Huron/Michigan (whatever it is). The middle is a grating for snow/ice purposes and you can see through to the lake. It makes a horrible horrible noise when you drive over it.

Last edited:

Mary Poppins

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
OOH! The eye doctor thing reminded me. It's not really a phobia, but that stupid gluacoma test at the eye doctor. That puff of air thing they shoot in your eye. I hate that!

The middle is a grating for snow/ice purposes and you can see through to the lake. It makes a horrible horrible noise when you drive over it.

[/img]
Just by looking at the picture I can tell you I would find an alternate route , or just never go across the river. Being able to see through into the water would keep me from ever crossing it! Luckily I live in an area that has very few large bridges, but there is one near my house that if you are sitting on it and an 18-wheeler comes up next to you, you can feel it shaking...that creeps me out!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mary Poppins said:

Just by looking at the picture I can tell you I would find an alternate route , or just never go across the river. Being able to see through into the water would keep me from ever crossing it! Luckily I live in an area that has very few large bridges, but there is one near my house that if you are sitting on it and an 18-wheeler comes up next to you, you can feel it shaking...that creeps me out!
I love the Mackinac Bridge. The one at Soo/Sault Saint Marie isn't bad, either - very high. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge from Virginia Beach to the DeMarVa Penninsula is pretty good - something like 20 miles long, with a bridge for people who are afraid of them, and tunnels for people afraid of enclosed space.

I'm not bothered by bridges, heights, tight places, needles, etc. What is under a mobile home may be a little intimidating. My fear is toasters. I have this premonition that my eventual death will somehow involve a toaster. Four-slice models don't bother me as much as two slicers. I won't leave the thing plugged in.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Thank you all! I feel much better now. I have major cockroach, height, giving blood, and shark phobias, and I am not alone!

For the shark-phobic, here is the solution (being in Florida, you need this). Never go in until there is a huge crowd of people, then get right in the middle, so if a shark shows up, it will pick off the people on the outside first.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Re: needles, dentists, and eye exams

BKM said:
Dentists: The hygenicist suggested gas for my next cleaning. I wore a tee-shirt, because I usually sweat through any more formal clothing. And, this is with high-tech dental equipment (ultrasonic cleaning instead of crick-crick-crick with a probe)
Its not a phobia but I always want to laugh out of nervousness when I'm in the dentist chair. I always imagine the technician dropping the instruments down my throat and I can't help thinking its funny that some woman I don't know is poking around my mouth with weird objects for a half hour. I sometimes want to laugh during haircuts too.

donk

Cyburbian
I actually like going to the dentist.

I find it relaxing to lie in the chair for an hour.

it also does not hurt that my dentist is easy to look at and her assistant is hot too.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Heights -
I refused to drive my harley over tall bridges. Way to freaky.

Blood -
I routinely apss out when having blood drawn.

ok - i have just two
1. Extremely crowded crowds, as in, you can't move, you're packed in so tightly together. i'm pretty vertically challanged (5'1"), and i hate the feeling that if there is a stampede, i've got zero shot of not being trampled. So going up to to a stage at a concert, or the beer alley at Harborfest in Oswego - my nightmares. It really helps that if i am in a situation like this, I have Rob, who's a full foot taller than I, to hang on to.
2. IV's. i can have blood taken, but the thought of having to have this thing jammed in my hand for an extended period of time - um, no. i probably won't get an epidural during childbirth, just to avoid the IV.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
[joke] Sometimes when I'm dancing at 2:00am in the Rainbow Room wearing a construction hat, I get scared that my wife, mother, daughters and boss will all walk in. [joke]

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!
hahahahahhahahah good one Seabishop!

Oh and one thing I forgot to put before... I am also afraid (well, not really afraid, but I do hate) of crowded spaces. Hence I hate concerts, crowded beaches and any place that could become very crowded...

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Opening an old thread rather than start a new thread.....

What's your phobia, if any? Lottsa responses on this old thread but there are many newer Cyburanites who may want to jump in.

My only phobia is swimming in the ocean. I have been spoiled all of my life, swimming in crystal clear up north waters.....fresh waters with no sharks and stingy things.

A friend of mine is scarred to death of heights, yet has no problem working on a roof of a garage. This seems strange to me.....you are much more likely to be seriously hurt (or die) in a fall from a garage rather than a glass elevator shooting to the top of Toronto's CN Tower, the tallest occupied building in the world. Everytime we went to the top of the tower for cocktails he would be backed-up against the back wall of the elevator with a horrible look on his face.

We laughed at him.

Bear

zman

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
My only phobia is swimming in the ocean. I have been spoiled all of my life, swimming in crystal clear up north waters.....fresh waters with no sharks and stingy things.
Bear
What about a big Northern Pike biting your toe off??
In the back of my mind while swimming in the lakes of Northern Minnesota.

I don't like heights, from a building. I have flown and flown in airplanes, hiked to mountain peaks but if I am in a tall skyscaper, I will not go near the window.

I also do not like abandoned buildings. (This did not help for playing hockey at a rink built within the closed Lowry Air Force base in Denver.)

Last edited:

Michele Zone

BANNED
Y'all don't want to know about my loooooong list of phobias. I voted for "heights". That is probably the easiest one to admit to, publically. :-c :-$ ;-)

MZ, who climbs castle towers and mountains, shaking with terror, :-|, but it don't stop her. :h: :)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
zmanPLAN said:
What about a big Northern Pike biting your toe off??
In the back of my mind while swimming in the lakes of Northern Minnesota.
Zzzzz.....every pike I've ever seen while I was swimming moved away. The little pan fish, though, are kind of interesting.....they like to "peck" at swimmers. Not fun, especially if skinny-dipping.

Optional Bear

Dacia0117

hmmm... public speaking i guess. I hear its the number one fear of Americans 2nd to death. I guess Harry was smart when he said that we'd rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy. :-$