• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Phobias

What are your phobias?

• Bugs

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Heights

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Land use attorneys

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yankees or other culturally alien beings

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Airplanes

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other to be explained below

Votes: 22 50.0%

• Total voters

zman

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
Zzzzz.....every pike I've ever seen while I was swimming moved away. The little pan fish, though, are kind of interesting.....they like to "peck" at swimmers. Not fun, especially if skinny-dipping.

Optional Bear

Yeah I could see the pan fish. Although we were jumping off some "cliffs" into a lake in Minn. once, and keep going near this dark "rock". That rock turned out to be a big snapping turtle... :-c

Watch out for the toes then!

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
I hate enclosed places and not too fond of heights...dont know that "fear" is the right word...more like "sick"...ventured into the Arch a few months back to take the kids..I don't know what I was thinking, I have been in the thing enough times to know I hate it...o I crawl in the tiny elevator already having a tough time and then get to the top of the thing and could barely breathe...as soon as the elevator hit the floor I ran out of the place...was ill the rest of the day :-{ :-|

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm not too good at heights. I guess that's why I haven't bought a ladder yet to get on the roof and clean my gutters. I'm also not to big on flying---cruising altitude is fine, it's the take offs and landings that bother me. But in my experience, the destination has always been worth it.

H

Cyburbian
I picked heights, but that includes (thought not limited to) airplanes.

I just cant stand looking down, for the fear of falling... Maybe it is because my grandma often read me Urtle the Turtle before going to bed... and we all know what happened to him... he fell!!! 8-!

Acrophobia = a fear of heights

Well, I don't fear heights exactly. More of a fear of falling from heights. I'll climb trees, rocks, etc. just to get a better view. Standing close to the edge, however makes me queasy. Again, flying per se I'm OK with, but the nagging thought that I could fall out of the sky is there just to make the flight a tad unnerving at times.

The other thing that makes me queasy are blood tests. The fact that something is left sticking out of/into you while you are leaking blood gets to me. My last physical involved me giving THREE :-c vials of blood! Suffice to say I was more than a bit uncomfortable +o( but I was able to remain conscious the entire time.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Flying. Ack. Can't do it. :r: Don't even like going to airports much. I've flown a lot, including a bunch of transatlantic flights, it just never gets much easier. Other than that, I'm not afraid of much. Getting stuck in a burning high-rise, maybe, and I'm kind of a hypochondriac, but that's it.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My fear of bridges is pretty well documented by now.

undergrad planner said:
Acrophobia = a fear of heights

Well, I don't fear heights exactly. More of a fear of falling from heights. I'll climb trees, rocks, etc. just to get a better view. Standing close to the edge, however makes me queasy. Again, flying per se I'm OK with, but the nagging thought that I could fall out of the sky is there just to make the flight a tad unnerving at times.

In 1985, I took cousins from Denmark to the top of the World Trade Center. Standing there looking at the other tower swaying back and forth made me a little queasy. Then thinking that if I were on that tower looking back at this one, it'd be doing the same thing. "Hasse, Lisbet. We have to go down. NOW." Haven't much cared for tall buildings ever since.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Clowns make me uneasy, but by far my biggest fear is being buried alive.

Ass. Planner

Cyburbian
The ocean freaks me out. I love to watch it from the sand, but I will not go more than knee-high in it. I thought I was going to hyperventilate during "The Perfect Storm". When flying over it, I get fidgety, my palms get really sweaty and I constantly stare at the ocean out the window as if I expect it to come up and 'get me'.

Another fear I have is that, while I am not afraid to die, I am afraid that the method of my death will be violent and painful.

GISgal

Cyburbian
Beyond heights:

I have a phobia of turtlenecks. I can't stand them. I get claustophobic when the neck is tight around my face. I have been that way since I was little.

The other thing that freaks me out is noisy wind and the thought of tornados.

zman

Cyburbian
So I had mentioned heights yesterday on this thread, and it is only in buildings and stuff. Well I get a call last night that a friend is in town from Salt Lake City for the Mountain West Hoops tourney in Denver.
I and another friend got invited down to the city for a night of bar hopping, hyjinks, and general mayhem with a couple of high school buddies...
... but I mention we're staying at his father's downtown apartment....

....on the 42nd floor....

... with a balcony....

:-c :-c

I think I'll stay inside, but if this is anything like the last time I was there, they will try their best to get me "out to check the view".... :-@

donk

Cyburbian
GISgal said:
I have a phobia of turtlenecks. I can't stand them. I get claustophobic when the neck is tight around my face. I have been that way since I was little.

You are not alone, I'll have to pass this on to a few people who say I am crazy for my dislike of wearing turtlenecks.

PlannerGirl said:
sounds like it-thank god your not a woman and have to give birth

nothing cures you of a needle phobia like being infertile, then pregnant.

Mr. Downtown doesn't have a needle phobia, but came very close to passing out when they did a CVS test on me, which he describes as me being "violently stabbed repeatedly in the abdomen with the longest needle you've ever seen." and he was totally fine with watching Jack be born. Well, except for the lingering horrible vision of what all my female parts looked like at the point, but oh well.

Downtown said:
2. IV's. i can have blood taken, but the thought of having to have this thing jammed in my hand for an extended period of time - um, no. i probably won't get an epidural during childbirth, just to avoid the IV.

Yeah, I got over this one when labor stalled at 7cm. The IV was the least of my concerns at that point. :D

zman

Cyburbian
Oh I hate snakes too... even when they're on TV I cannot watch...

boiker

Cyburbian
I'm with Mastiff, getting under big, heavy things...despite how they are secured is nervewrecking. The more I go under the car, the less nervous I feel about the situation.

Ass. Planner

Cyburbian
GISgal said:
Beyond heights:

The other thing that freaks me out is noisy wind and the thought of tornados.
The turtleneck thing reminds me of another thing that really bothers me....I have a hard time wearing necklaces and high-neckline shirts because they feel like they are boring into my chest - a really heavy, suffocating feeling. Very weird.

martyR

Interesting, i'm thinking about it and i can't come up with one thing. Does that mean (without being egotistical) that i'm a brave, courageous magnificent bastard? Or conversly, does it just mean that i'm afraid of everything to same degree?

Answers on a postcard please.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Not exactly a phobia, but I can't help but keep an eye on the wheels of tractor trailers as I pass them on the road - there is always stories on the news dealing with rig wheel seperations due to poor maintenance.

I think my concern started back in high school when I was tooling down the 401 in my vw beetle outside Toronto and was in the process of passing a semi. Just as I passed the cab of the truck, he had a tire blow out which caused a roll of steel he was carring to snap loose and hop of the truck while it began wildly fishtailing all over 2 lanes of traffic. I was lucky enough to be viewing this in my rear view mirror.

The One

Cyburbian
well....

Lets see, I'm not so much worried about snakes.....I have had good experiences with them:
1. While digging soil profile holes in N. Virginia, had a 8 foot black racer slink through my legs....like I wasn't even there....oh and slowly.....very cool to see it that close....
2. Have red bellied band snakes living near my house now....description of them says that they are very social, enjoy large family gatherings and produce a bad odor if frightened by some stupid human.....kinda cool snakes....

Giving blood sucks (har har har....) not fun....I too get ill when I watch.....

Heights....not a problem....ski lifts helped me get over that....oh and standing on a 900 foot cliff in the Absorka range of Wyoming.....or at the top of the black canyon of the gunnison.....

I do have a fear of criminals....is that a phobia?

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I had a major fear of heights and falling up until my brother drug my ass onto a rollercoaster at Six Flags Dallas. After that he created a monster and major rollercoaster nut.

I have a big problem with being in crowds (no problem speaking in front of them though).

I also can't stand the sight of my own blood. Anybody else is fine; I've even watched a heart transplant. But it's like something in my brain clicks when it's my blood and says "that's supposed to be inside me,,, time to get sick". The nice thing is a can predict when I am going to pass-out or puke so whoever the poor sap is taking my blood can get ready. For obvious reasons, I do not participate in blood drives.

Groovy Iguana

I LOOOVEE roller coasters. I HATE ticks. Dog ticks. I can pick them off my dog if I have to. I can't pick them off me.

Also, ladders. Why I can do roller coasters and not ladders has to do with a death in the family. Only, that didn't involve a ladder but a rickety Victorian porch that no one was supposed to be on. I can't climb ladders / be on a porch/treehouse/ other thing that is not visibly well supported. :-c

MitchBaby

Cyburbian
I'm hugely afraid of anything around my neck. Not the whole choking thing, but just having anything too close to the front of my neck that puts any pressure on it, I just can't take it... even ties that are too tight freak me out, so I often have to wear ties with the top button undone just to stay sane!!! Who kows, maybe I had the umbilical cord tied around my neck at birth or something...

MitchBaby said:
I'm hugely afraid of anything around my neck. Not the whole choking thing, but just having anything too close to the front of my neck that puts any pressure on it, I just can't take it... even ties that are too tight freak me out, so I often have to wear ties with the top button undone just to stay sane!!! Who kows, maybe I had the umbilical cord tied around my neck at birth or something...
[FLAKE] Sounds like you died by hanging in a past life. [/FLAKE] :-D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I've developed a new one since a recent accident near here: being crushed by a semi that tips over on an angled highway off ramp. Horrible fire; 4 people burnt to death.

Going over long arched bridges really freaks me out. I can barely drive over the Portland bridge... and of course...... planner stalking weirdos are on my phobia list!