• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Pick my new baby-

Grey or Blue

• Grey puppy

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Blue puppies

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Blue rocks

Cant say I've ever seen one in person though. Very cool.

The Irish One

but now that I have read the poll you must get the red/brown puppy -it is the underdog no pun intended which make him/her that much more lovable.

Habanero

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
but now that I have read the poll you must get the red/brown puppy -it is the underdog no pun intended which make him/her that much more lovable.
yeah, but I've got a grey.. why do they call it grey? Hatchers is more tan than anything. The blues sometimes have a "rose" on their chest.. it's just a white spot.

Here's what he looks like basically:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nope ... you want a Portuguese Water Dog.

Admit it ... you want one.

BKM

Cyburbian
Nope. You NEED A BASENJI

You want one of these:

As a Planner, your stress level is too low. You NEED a dog that is disobedient, too intelligent to listen to you, and will chew up your entire living room of furniture if bored :)

http://www.basenji.org/pics.htm

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Both are adorable, but the blue ones are amazing - I've never seen them that color before. Make sure you post pictures when you decide.

BKM - are basenji's a pain in the rear? Do you know that from experience? Not like it matters anymore.....Hubbie and I recently babysat his brothers two puppies - a 6 mo. old Jack Russell, and a 4 mo. old Basenji. The Jack Russell was a beast, but we loved the basenji - he seemed so much less hyper and destructive. We decided to hold off on the puppy purchase after that experience. I think I was set up.....

Jeff

Cyburbian
I will yake whichever ones you don't take....they are so cute.

Habanero

Cyburbian
So I went ahead and read up on the whole blue vs. grey thing.. blues only happen with a genetic screw-up.. basically, they aren't breed standard, although breed standard only says "solid color".
You know, those water dogs are damn cute, are they difficult to maintain?. So it that Basenji, although I'd be afraid of a little dog in our house (we're size freak).
Hatcher got his picture taken with Santa yesterday, I'll scan that pic in asap. He looks psycho in the picture though-

BKM

Cyburbian
Basenjis

SW Mi

In some ways, I am not the best person to ask about destructiveness in basenjis. My little gal is very calm. The most she will do is grab an occasional sock or, if she feels I am not paying attention to her, she may confetti a piece of newspaper or something from the trash. I think it helps that she is not left alone (I have other dogs) to get bored and destructive. The only real problem is an occasional battle with her packmate-which she doesn't instigate (I have a pretty macho shepherd mix who was nasty to her this weekend. No teethmarks, but I think he bruised her 'cause she winced when I touched a certain spot)

They are just very independent beasts. They have not really been bred for trainability or obedience, and they will entertain themselves.

I do know people who have more "challenging" dogs. But, they are so regal and elegant that, to me at least, they are worth it (Should this line be under the "pretentious" thread :) )

BKM

Cyburbian
Jack Russells

Total terror dogs. My neighbors' doesn't stop moving for one minute. Don't think I could handle that kind of energy. They're like the hummingbirds of the dog world!

donk

Cyburbian
To mkae your choice more difficult here is my parent's bllod hound, molly and their cat.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
TexasPlanner said:
You know, those water dogs are damn cute, are they difficult to maintain?
PWDs are related to Poodles, and they share their intelligence. They're not as stuffy or regal, though; their demeanor is really friendly. They're very smart, which means that you'll be dealing with some issues that you won't have with a Beagle. Porties want to have something to do, whether it's work or play, and they get bored easily. They're not content to just look out the window; they want to be an active part of your life. They follow you around the house, and even into the bathroom if you're not careful. They like to be close to humans, and one irritating habit is almost impossible to train out ... jumping on visitors. PWDs aren't hyper; they direct their energy to the task at hand.

Porties have to be socialized at a very early age, which means you've got to take your puppy to a dog park or doggie day care regularly. Because they don't shed, they need to be professionally groomed. Their hair grows slower than Poodle hair, so you only have to make a trip to the groomer every other month or so. They need to be brushed every other day, and stickers will cling to them much more so than other breeds.

Porties don't bark much, but they are vocal. They have multi-octave voices, and the noises that make sound quite close to human talking. Bailey, my female, occasionally does a cat imitation ... she'll meow! When you pet Guinness with a bit of pressure, he'll say "mmmmmmm" and "uhhhhhh," just like a human.

Because PWDs did retrieval work, they're mouthy dogs. When I come home from work, both of mine have to grab toys to greet me with; they like having something in their mouths. I was lucky ... I didn't have any furniture destroyed. If they're bored as puppies, though, they can be destructive. Bitter Apple helps a lot. When they play, they like to use their mouths, and they won't hesitate to "play bite" humans softly. PWDs are incredible at sensing the moods of humans they're near, and they'll adjust their behavior accordingly. If I'm sick or tired, they're far more gentle and caring. They're far more gentle with small children and toddlers than with active adults.

PWDs aren't considered an entry-level dog, because of their intelligence and work drive. They're affectionate, great with kids, good with other dogs, and almost human-like in their demeanor. They're also expensive; I got Bailey when I was workign for the Dark Side, and Guinness was a rescue. Still, though, I wouldn't hesistate recommending them to others. You'll spend more time and expense with 'em than a Lab, but it's worth it.

donk

Cyburbian
I can't forget to post my namesake, allistair the donkey, my parent's sheep donkey. My friends always tease me about him. Great pet, easy to train, clean, smart. A few problems though 500 lbs, big, and they are a long term commitment (40 years).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:
To mkae your choice more difficult here is my parent's bllod hound, molly and their cat.
Makes you wanna reach through the screen and grab those jowls and streeeeeetch em out as far as you can....

Habanero

Cyburbian
bturk said:

Makes you wanna reach through the screen and grab those jowls and streeeeeetch em out as far as you can....
I always grab Hatchers muzzle, pucker his lips, and blow into his closed mouth to make his cheeks puff like a baloon. (It's great fun.) but could you imagine how big his mouth would blow up?

el Guapo

Capitalist
donk said:
.... easy to train, clean, smart. A few problems though 500 lbs, big, and they are a long term commitment (40 years).
I can't resist...and how is this different from some marriages? ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
EEEK I'm going this weekend to look at a litler of Black Lab puppies and I just know I'm going to have to claim one.

bturk said:
EEEK I'm going this weekend to look at a litler of Black Lab puppies and I just know I'm going to have to claim one.
You probably will - it isn't humanly possible to go and just *look* at a litter - you always wind up bringing one home.

donk

Cyburbian
That is actually one of the bloodhounds best traits, nothing bothers them. They actually like people affectionately pulling their skin, ears and jowls.

as for how much they stretch tha is her ear and cheek to theright. digital cameras just are not great for "action" shots.

donk

Cyburbian
EG queried
I can't resist...and how is this different from some marriages?
Women will forgive and sometimes forget that you pissed them off or hurt their feelings, donkeys don't.

Allistair is still mad at me leaving him after the summer and for going to university 8 years ago. (I am not kidding)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Our donkey is an ass- no punn intended. He's really mean. He hates cats too, well, anything that moves really.

Status
Not open for further replies.