• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Pick-up lines

Pick-up lines: do they work or don't they?

• Yes pick-up lines are great

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Not usually

Votes: 20 87.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JNL

Cyburbian
Okay so there are a number of threads at the moment discussing relationships and how to meet people etc.... so. Pick-up lines. Do they work or don't they? Do you have any really good ones, or funny ones, or really really bad ones to share?

JNL

Cyburbian
I have a very confident male friend who swears this one works well:

After establishing eye contact, instead of asking "How you doin'?" he'll walk up to a woman and ask, "So, how am I doing?"

IMO, you don't really need pick up lines. "Hi" is a good start.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
A bottle of roofies usually does the trick... I mean some lines work and others don't.

Like I said before about Video Game Bameowling, sometimes actions speak louder than words.

This one sometimes worked, "Do you like drinking in the park?" What an ice-breaker.

One time I said I was going to be the mayor someday. Women love a man with hope and ambition, even if they never go anywhere in life. Its an illusion;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
What are you talking about, I have a friend from College who used them all the time.... and they always seemed to work... for me that is... The girl would slap him or something, so a little later I would walk over and apologize for him being such a jerk, and then we would start talking. I would take someone’s blunder, and find the positive for me.

He on the other hand... he would swear that they never work.
;-)

biscuit

Cyburbian
I've never actually tried a pick-up line on a girl before. Usually I just started a conversation or crack some smarty remerk to break the ice. It was just never my style to try something so cheesy. Besides I always needed to retain what little class I have.

I had a housemate in college on the other hand that would sometimes use a really bad pick up line to make a girl laugh and start a conversation and I saw that work on more than one occasion. It went something like, "Hey, you got nice ti**ies... wanna beer?"

Another tasteless pick-up line for the Outdoor Life Channel watching set...
"Girl, finding you is like catching a prize bass 'cause I don't know if I want to eat you or mount you." 8-!

So what do you ladies think? Smooooth.....

otterpop

Cyburbian
Let's say you see a woman you would like to meet. Ask her what time is it. When she tells you, smile and say "Usually beautiful women won't give me the time of day." It has worked for me.

JNL

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Another tasteless pick-up line for the Outdoor Life Channel watching set...
"Girl, finding you is like catching a prize bass 'cause I don't know if I want to eat you or mount you." 8-!

So what do you ladies think? Smooooth.....
I think: Eeek! Freak! Run.

Otterpop, that's a good one :)

Another way of posing this question, is how do you make the initial approach when you've seen someone that you'd like to inspect more closely ;)

I know I have often been too shy to walk up and start a conversation.

JNL

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Speaking of... One great pick-up line is "Does this smell like chloroform?" :-D
Maybe I shoudn't have asked to hear really, really bad ones B-)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Man, "Hey baby (optional intro), what's the difference between drinking beer and sex?"

Female, "I don't know."

Man, "Neither do I, would you like a beer".

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My usual weekends (before I got married) . . .

Me: Hey, I couldn't help but notice your eyes from across the room. My name is _________, but my friends call me Seabishop. You probably know me as the Town Planner for the Town of _________. That's right, I said "Planner." Did you see that article in the paper yesterday about that new housing development? You probably remember me as the one who said "the regulations of the overlay district allow for the clustering of housing units." I say stuff like that all the time. They call me "the Enforcer" because if I won't enforce the Subdivision of Land Development Regulations for the Town of _______then who will?

Hottie: Wanna go for a ride?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have had a few women use pick up lines on me… (crazy I know…) The two that I thought where the most creative where:

“You know, you don’t look good on the dance floor… you would look better on me in bed!”

“What would you like for breakfast tomorrow morning?”

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
My usual weekends (before I got married) . . .

Me: Hey, I couldn't help but notice your eyes from across the room. My name is _________, but my friends call me Seabishop. You probably know me as the Town Planner for the Town of _________. That's right, I said "Planner." Did you see that article in the paper yesterday about that new housing development? You probably remember me as the one who said "the regulations of the overlay district allow for the clustering of housing units." I say stuff like that all the time. They call me "the Enforcer" because if I won't enforce the Subdivision of Land Development Regulations for the Town of _______then who will?

Hottie: Wanna go for a ride?
You Playa Seabishop

Budgie

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I have had a few women use pick up lines on me… (crazy I know…) The two that I thought where the most creative where:

“You know, you don’t look good on the dance floor… you would look better on me in bed!”

“What would you like for breakfast tomorrow morning?”
Oh, by the way Michaelskis, did I ever tell you that you make me sick.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My personal favorite is "How would you like your eggs in the morning, scrambled or fertilized?" A close second is "Do you like to dance? Well then, could you go dance so I can talk to your friend? "

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The best used on me: opened my door one evening to find an absolutely gorgeous man standing there with a beer in each hand. He asked if I would like a beer and then asked me to guess which one of my neighbors had sent him over to meet me.

Almost married that one...(sigh)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I would first have to have the nerve or courage (read don't be a chicken s***) to say something beyond a simple "Hi"
Let alone when she even acknowledges my existance first by her first saying "Hi" to me.

Michele Zone

BANNED
JNA said:
I would first have to have the nerve or courage (read don't be a chicken s***) to say something beyond a simple "Hi"
Let alone when she even acknowledges my existance first by her first saying "Hi" to me.
I think you are making too big a deal of it. It has been my observation that men who make a big deal out of "talking to a woman" are the ones who have trouble getting a date. Men who will talk to a woman simply because she is a human being first and foremost seem to have no trouble getting female attention. If you are that hyper-aware that she is a WOMAN first and foremost -- rather than a member of your species -- she may feel like she is being sized up like a piece of meat. (just my 2 cents as usual -- I have never met you, what the hell do I know? and similar disclaimers)

Michele Zone

BANNED
Budgie said:
MZ, I like your observation.
thanks. I must not have screwed it up too bad. I think all that "oh, my god, it is a WOMAN" stuff is a source of a lot of pain. I think when people sort of are in that mind set of wondering in the 30 seconds before they say "hi" if this will lead to sex, marriage, etc --- god, who can even get their mouth open to say "hi"? lol. I think women are prone to the same thing, though.

Actually, I think that is probably part of Dan's problem with online dating: his "nice" letters must just scream "trying too hard". It makes me think of all those years I tried so damn hard to be "nice" to people and on good behavior... and then "open up" AFTER they hung around long enough to "get to know me" and convinced me they must LIKE me. Only they really had NOT gotten to know me and they didn't actually like ME. They liked that total sham: Ms. Goody-two-shoes. sigh. When she disappeared, so did the so-called 'new-found friend'.

I lost the vast majority of my so-called "friends" while deathly ill and bedridden and discovering that all these relationships were "one way streets" and they had nothing to give to me after counting on me for years. One friend called and was going on and on about how her husband lost his job, their money woes, etc. I interrupted her and went "I don't have the energy for this. I am fighting for my life." I NEVER heard from her again. (And good riddance!) I then gained a lot of actual friends while going through terrible drug withdrawal in the aftermath of all that nearly dying. I now do my level best to be on "bad" behavior when I meet someone and see if my more outrageous side will drive them away. If they are going to ditch me, I want them to do so before I get emotionally attached, thanks. Life is pretty darn good these days! :-D :-D :-D

Grassroots

Cyburbian
A little crude, but my brother once told a girl at a party:

"I would crawl ten miles over broken glass naked just to hear you fart in a walkie-talkie"

Tasteless, but nonetheless humorous. It must of worked because they hooked up after she stopped laughing her a$$ off.