• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Pics Of Chile... :D

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Here are some pics of my beloved Chile... (taken from the Tourism agency webpage :D) Sorry for the size... I couldn't find bigger... :( Also, sorry if it takes too much to load...

It's such a long country that I'll just put one or two pics of a region (Chile is subdivided in 13 Regions)

Lets start with the 1st:

Lake Chungara:

2nd Region:

Chuquicamata Copper Mine:

3rd Region:
Bahía Inglesa (English Bay):

Atacama Desert (with flowers):

4th Region:
Tololo Astronomic Observatory:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
part deux

Let's continue:
5th region:
Easter Island's Moais:

National Congress (where all our corrupt congressmen/congresswomen go :D) :

Now we'll jump to the 7th region (there's nothing very interesting in the 6th, besides wine and vineyards (which are also in the 7th)
Radal 7 Tazas National park:

Maule Valley Vineyards:

8th Region:
Laja River Waterfalls:

9th Region:
Huerquehue National Park:

10th Region:
Valdivia (where I live):

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
11th Region:
North Ice Shelf:

12th Region:
Torres Del Paine:

Punta Arenas (our most southern big city):

(all 12 above regions are in a North-south numeration, but the 13th region is right next to the 5th and north of the 6th)

13th Region ( aka Region Metropolitana de Santiago = Santiago Metropolitan Region):

La Moneda Palace (Government Palace):

(not shown: SMOG!)

Well that's the nice eye candy I can give, without the webmaster of the tourism agency writting me death threats... :D

If you wish to see more pics of Chile please go to:Sernatur's Images of Chile
I'm sorry to say that the site is in spanish.. so I don't think you'll be able to understand anything.... :(

Jeff

Cyburbian
WOW!!! Very cool!!

That snow cap in the first picture looks like it has a smily face on it :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'd like to see more of Santiago. Chilean poitics gets a fair share of media coverage in the US, and there has been some buzz about the region's prosperity and stability compared to Argentina.

BTW, in the late 1980s when I was an undergrad, I had a job delivering pizza at a Buffalo area Domino's. One of my co-workers was an international student who hailed from Santiago; his last name was Pinochet. Yes, there was some convoluted relationship between him and the Generalissimo.

BKM

Cyburbian
Cool Photos!

Chile would definitely be on the top of my list for visiting S. A. (I would like to visit Colombia, too, but I am a little nervous about safety)

Living in California, I would love to see some of the vineyard country in the Central Valley of Chile. And, of course, the Andes and the Volcanic Lakes.

I think the City that sounds most unique to me is Valparaiso. Is Valparaiso pretty safe for visitors?

Valdivia has a strong German influence in architecture, too?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Valparaiso, is my country's biggest port, hence there is a lot of activity, and crime. I'd say that it's quite safe during the daytime, but when the transvestis hit the streets... it isn't that safe... there are a lot of cool buildings (for the ones interested in architecture).

Valdivia, and I'd say all of the south of Chile is greatly influenced by German inmigrants of the mid 1800s. But you can still see some remains of the Spanish Colonial era ( Valdivia has 450 years)

Now, about Santiago, I personally don't like it, it's a 5-6 million inhabitant metropolis (aproximately 1/3 of Chile's Population), and one of it's biggest problems is smog, because it's built in a "hole" (it's surounded by mountains),plus there is a centralistic mentality, so everything important is in Santiago.
No wonder there is a saying here in Chile: "Santiago Is Chile"

Oh, and one last thing... Leave Pinochet where he belongs... IN THE PAST!, I'm sick of these people that go on and on crying of what happened to them... it's over, and get over it. I'm not saying we should forget about it, but we got to move on....we can't forget, because if we do it'll probably happen again.
And besides, don't say that US didn't help Pinochet do the coup, Nixon's wet dream was to get the Commies out of Latin America...