• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Picton, South Island, New Zealand

JNL

Cyburbian
Okay here's the last of my holiday snaps from December. This little town, Picton, is at the top of the South Island, and is the docking point for the Interisland ferry which takes people, trains, and cars between the North and South Islands. When a ferry is due to depart (there are several sailings each day), the township fills up. If there is rough weather and ferries are delayed, all the accommodation fills up. But otherwise, it's just a quiet little seaside town (population 4,000).

801DCP_0703-med.jpg

801DCP_0705-med.jpg
The Interisland ferry is in the background. That's a pedestrian overbridge in the pic with the Keep Right sign on it.

801DCP_0706-med.jpg

801DCP_0707-med.jpg

801DCP_0794-med.jpg
View out to the harbour mouth and the Marlborough Sounds

801DCP_0795-med.jpg

801DCP_0796-med.jpg

801DCP_0798-med.jpg

Last edited:

GRID

Cyburbian
Man -- look at that stunning scenery! I have always wanted to visit New Zealand. I actually have a relative that married "into" New Zealand via a N.Z. woman. It is really hard to move there otherwise. I'm glad, though, because it would become over-populated if the gates were too open.