• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Pixies Reunion

nerudite

Cyburbian
I just got word that the Pixies are not only reuniting, but they are going on a small tour this spring. And to top it all off, they are actually coming to Edmonton (hardly anyone interesting to me every comes here), so this is quite an occasion!

I have fears that they will suck, but I'm crossing my fingers that 1) I can score tickets and 2) they don't blow.

I'm pretty stoked though that a band worth mentioning is coming to Edmonton. :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I just got word that the Pixies are not only reuniting, but they are going on a small tour this spring. And to top it all off, they are actually coming to Edmonton (hardly anyone interesting to me every comes here), so this is quite an occasion!

I have fears that they will suck, but I'm crossing my fingers that 1) I can score tickets and 2) they don't blow.

I'm pretty stoked though that a band worth mentioning is coming to Edmonton. :)
shake your butt! :p I love the Pixies, I can't imagine them not being good.

plankton

Cyburbian
woohoo - thanks for the heads up

Great band with lots of fun songs. I just checked their website and see that the original four, including Frank Black & Kim Deal will be there - IMHO, it doesn't get much better than that.

Edmonton, eh.....I'll have to try to catch up with them in the Pac NW.

If they play a smallish venue in the Northwest (the Crystal Ballroom in Portland would be ideal), I propose a little cyburbia get together.....anybody interested??

Rem

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
ah... who are the pixies... and should I be afraid?
Oh young one. Sit here on uncle Rem's knee while I tell you about a time when popular music was going soft - yes soft I say. Then along came .........

Hey wait a minute - your just making out that your really young and some other Cyburbanites are really old - and I fell for it. Doh. |-) Michaelskis[/] don't be afraid, it will be relatively painless and afterwards you will start to think like everyone else and life will be good.

biscuit

Cyburbian
SWEEEEEET!

It's news like this that helps you start the day off on a good note.
I share nerudite's concern that they may suck this time around. I certainly hope not because I will be at that show should they play near my city.

Here's some background on the Pixies from the MTV website for Michaelskis and others who have not found enlightenment.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Those rumours have been floating around for about 6 months and I am glad to see that they are more than rumours. However, those tour locations stink!! (sorry Nerudite). The closest they come to Wisconsin is Winnepeg! They aren't even playing their hometown of Boston!

I hope things go well and they add some east coast tour dates.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Of course they are coming nowhere near Florida :( Oh well, I guess I'll have to coast on the good music mood that the Blondie show put me in last month. Debbie Harry still kicks ass BTW!!!

donk

Cyburbian
What's with all the dates on the prairies?

I never knew Regina and Saskatoon were hotbeds for 80's alternative rock?

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
I never knew Regina and Saskatoon were hotbeds for 80's alternative rock?
Are you crazy? The 80s just GOT to the Prairies. This is cutting edge rock out here, man. ;)

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Are you crazy? The 80s just GOT to the Prairies. This is cutting edge rock out here, man. ;)
So many snappy comebacks, so little time.

So the opening act is Warrant?

Only 10 more years until they tour the Maritimes.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Rem said:
Oh young one. Sit here on uncle Rem's knee while I tell you about a time when popular music was going soft - yes soft I say. Then along came .........

Hey wait a minute - your just making out that your really young and some other Cyburbanites are really old - and I fell for it. Doh. |-) Michaelskis[/] don't be afraid, it will be relatively painless and afterwards you will start to think like everyone else and life will be good.

LMAO!!!!!AAAHHHHaaaaah!
Actually, Michaelski is in all probabilty not kidding. He's not quite what I would call "tender in years" but let us take it upon ourselves to make him more worldly.....
I should preface my remarks by saying for the record that I watched Dick Clark ring in the new year - NOT Guy Lombardo.
The Pixies were an "alternative" rock band that enjoyed a cult popularity before the idea that a band could carry the label "alternative" as a marketing genre existed....exerted condsiderable creative influence on other 'alternative' bands throughout the 90's..... Oh yeah, and they rocked.

biscuit

Cyburbian
donk said:
Seamus McGowan is living in NYC and drinking himself to death. He does the odd solo show.
You mean he's not already dead? He very well could be so drunk and his innards so pickled that he'll never rot and no one ever notices. Kind of like that movie Weekend At Bernie's, or Keith Richards...

donk

Cyburbian
A friend saw Seamus 2 years ago at a bar in New York.

Teeth rotted out, barely able to stand, but I guess he could still sing.

From what I've learned here, there is an irish tradition / philosophy that makes this a way of life for some people and a way to enlightenment. I'll see if I can find the exact phrase.