• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Place that touch your soul

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
ChevyChaseDC said:
I've been there too, we would stay in a cottage a bit west of Munising and Pictured Rocks, right on Lake Superior.

Back in the early 1950's my family and a couple other families (from the Toledo area) rented a cottage, a few years in a row, at Lake AuTrain (a bit west of Munising). This was prior to the building of the Mackinac Bridge.

I remember the ferry crossing.....I remember a violent thunderstorm scaring me.

I took my parents back there in 1980.....had a blast.

Ahhh, da U.P.

Bear

Xing500

Cyburbian
It has to be East ST. Louis for me. That city just makes me think. The history is so complex, and the troubles and problems it's gone through are parallel to my own. It gets no respect, and is often avoided. It has had its good times and its bad. Man...

Man With a Plan

Cyburbian
Rome...Maine
New Orleans
Block Island, RI
Narragansett, RI
Brewers Corner, MA
Fenway Park
McCoy Stadium, Pawtucket, RI
The neighborhood, Quincy
Baxter State Park, ME
Newport, RI
Keany Gym/Ryan Center/Dunkin Donuts Center Rhody Hoop Games

nuovorecord

Cyburbian
Two places that really do it for me...

1. The Columbia River Gorge. When I die, I want someone to scatter my ashes from an airplane over the Gorge.

2. New York City. It's New York...'nuff said!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore between Munising and Grand Marais MI, either on the water looking at the rocks or hiking along one of the beaches. Even if I am never able to go back there, I will carry this place in my soul.

Downtown Chicago. I was there during the national conference several years ago. I had forgotten how nice the city was after dark.

Crown Point IN, after my grandfather's funeral. I felt the presence of my ancestors cover me like a warm blanket on a cold night.

The 10,000 islands, south of Naples, FL

Various worship services at church

margey

NYC will always be special for me. First went there with my company for a few days over Christmas about 9 years ago. It was very cold, and really seasonal. fairy lights on bare trees outside restaurants etc. 5th Ave and Central Park are magical that time of year.

Got to go back 3 years ago for my birthday for a week with my wife.

Can't wait to return.

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
margey, Why don't you just throw in the towel and move to Manhattan? You obviously like it, and no ther place in the US can match it. Get a high-paying job (there are plenty for a bright fellow), buy a little condo or rent one of those big old rent-controlled apartments on West End Avenue (bribe the doorman), send your kids to one of the terrific New York City magnet schools, and settle in for the duration. You'll never leave.

margey

ablarc said:
margey, Why don't you just throw in the towel and move to Manhattan? .....send your kids to one of the terrific New York City magnet schools, and settle in for the duration. You'll never leave.

I would love to be wealthy enough to have a 2nd home/appatrtment in NYC, but i don't think i could live there 24/7. I could deffo work there and spend every weekend there but i think for my home and kids schools etc it would need to be a bit more peaceful and slower and basically more suburban.

dream on eh!

Last edited:

ssc

Cyburbian
#1. New York City (Manhattan) will always be #1 for me - I grew up there and there is no place like home. I love the neighborhoods, the vibrancy, the feel of being surrounding by all that life! Like you are in the center of the world.

#2. New York City (Brooklyn). I'd move back in a second if I could. The best neighborhood I have ever lived in was Carroll Gardens. I'll never forget Mrs. Borelli, our next door neighbor who raised her 6 kids in the railroad flat she still lived in. She was crushed when we moved to another apartment all of 6 blocks away when I was 8 months pregnant - she wanted us to "stay in the neighborhood!" Needless to say, we came back to visit her with the baby.

#3. Amagansett, NY before "The Hamptons" became so trendy. I spend my childhood summers there, and it was heaven.

#4. Stonington, ME. The epitome of an unspoiled coastal Maine town - absolutely, incredibly, heart-stoppingly beautiful.

#5. Costa Rica. The whole darn country. Wonderful people, no standing army (granted, the cops carry automatic weapons, but still...), incredible beauty, the rainforests, coasts and deserts.