• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Placement of housing questions.....

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
City Council wants me to look into possible restrictions regarding placement of housing. Our current ordinance has nothing - hypothetically, the door/porch of a house could face opposite of the street. Council doesn't want to prohibit unique housing designs, but wants to say that the door/porch should be on the front facade of a house, facing the street.

Also, they want to be able to require housing on corner lots to have the front be along the street to which it's addressed. Currently, the house can face either way, and have the street address side be the side yard.

Their intent is to protect neighborhood character. Anyone have dealt with anything similar, or have appropriate wording?

Jeff

Cyburbian
I think you are going to have a tough sell on the corner lot thing. All of my houses are canted to face on the corner, not one side or the other. It makes it look better so you see the front of the house on both streets.

Also, where the door sits on a house is an architectural feature, not an issue for zoning od S&LD. Again, I think you'd get into some trouble on this one.

Do you really have houses with front doors facing the rear yard?

I wish I had a digital camera. There is this 1950s era neighborhood right outside Philly with all the same house 40' x 20' approx. with side entry garages. One of the lots must have come up short on the width, so they just turned the house so the garage faces the street with the front door facing the side yard. Absolutely the worst thing I've ever seen.

Back to the topic....

Do you have a building inspector or someone similar? This would probably be an issue for them. Alot of plans simply show a square where the house "might" go. I know on my plans I show the biggest one or a "composite" but the house could really be 1 of maybe 10 different models each with 30 different options.

What I'm trying to get at is the plans you see usually show where a possible location for house is, not a fixed location.

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't think I've ever seen regulations that specific on front door locations in a regular single family district. I remember seeing something like this for manufactured housing in a town in California, but when I search the web... I found some front door orientation requirements for manufactured housing in St. Joseph, MO.

The other place you may find something is if you search for some residential components of historic districts, which are written much more specific.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Mike D. said:

Do you really have houses with front doors facing the rear yard?

We have several that face rear or side yards. It's a Sthapatya Veda thing.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I have seen codes requiring the front entrance be 'visable' from the street (for safety/security, I suppose), but nothing further than that.

peterb

building locations

This is not a zoning decision , this should be covered by 911 regulations.

Is this a location question or one of orientation and addressing?

Corner lots may have 2 addresses and a structure may orient one of two ways on this lot thereby determining its address. If the orientation is toward the apex of the corner then the address is a toss up.

Moderator note: This appeared to be a reply to the placement of housing thread, so I merged it and deleted the "building locations" thread.