• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Planning: general Planetizen courses

DVD

Cyburbian
Meh. If you actually expect to learn a skill, that won't happen. If you want an overview of how to do something and maybe a few step by step instructions they give you that. Think of it as the second day of college courses or maybe condensing all your lectures into a couple hours.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I took their AICP prep course nine years ago and found it helpful. Don't know about the others.

Yikes, nine years!

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I've never taken one, but like luckless pedestrian, I've heard the AICP course is good (along with many of the AICP courses offered by state APA chapters).

Planetizen has been offering courses for a long time. If they weren't good, their critics would probably be slamming them here or in social media, and that's not happening.

The are kind of expensive, though. If you're paying out of pocket, consider the reason why you're taking one (AICP CE credits, or just to expand your skills), and where else you can gain the same knowledge (regional/state/national planning conferences, webinars, independent research, etc). If your employer is paying, go for it, and report back to us. :)

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
AICP course from Planetizen was the foundation of my study for the test and worked well for me. You get a bunch of practice tests and a lot of back and forth with the instructor when the "right answer" to a question doesn't feel "right."

Neither course, nor the certification test have much bearing on my day-to-day work, other than the ethics and principles.

af2087

I took a course a couple of years ago that focused on the real estate market, real estate financing, and planning. I don't know if they have the course anymore. I liked that it was something I could do at my own pace, as much or as little at a time as I wanted, but had some deadlines for exams to provide some structure. That said, at the end, I don't know that I extracted all that I had hoped to. I understand what they're trying to do and provide, but I do think it needs more refinement. The AICP course is solid. I've had staff take the SketchUp course, and they found it helpful.

notabigcitygirl

Cyburbian
I've taken many Planetizen courses to get my AICP CM credits. Some are meh, but some have been worthy of my time. I like that they have thematic modules to build on previously learned material. All in all, I find them worthy and helpful. And, most importantly, a cheap way to earn credits.