• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Planned Office definition

ssc

Cyburbian
I have inherited a zoning ordinance with confusing uses and no definitions, and I am getting grey hairs fast as a result :-\

My latest issue is with a use called "Planned Office". There is no definition, and it is permitted by right in most districts. We have an applicant who would like to apply under Planned Office for a small non-profit administrative office building (3000 sq. ft total) in a multifamily zone because in that zone the use "Single Family Administrative Office" is only permitted on lots of 5 acres or more whereas Planned Office has no minimum lot size.

With that rather long-winded preamble, I will get to the point, which is:

Does anyone out there have a definition of "Planned Office" in their zoning ord?

Thanks very much.

SGB

Cyburbian
You may want to look at past permit records to see what was allowed previously under that use title. That may give you your de facto definition.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Main Street Maven said:
I have inherited a zoning ordinance with confusing uses and no definitions, and I am getting grey hairs fast as a result :-\

That is not a good thing. Even though they office may have came up with some sort of guide lines for past permits, without definitions, this could leave it wide open as to what can, and can not be done or what a business really is.

For ours we list it under the intent instead of the definitions. “Designed to accommodate office and institutional land use activities and are planned to service as transitional area between residential districts and commercial districts and between major thoroughfares and residential districts.” (Intent for office service district zoning)