• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Planner charge-out rates

Baud

I am currently looking for any information regarding charge-out rates for planners working in private firms. I work as an urban designer for an architecture firm and I am currently re-negotiating my billing rates. So here's where I need help...

I know there is huge variety depending on experience, type of work, responsibility, location, etc. So what I'm after is to try and get a range of rates - for instance a person with moderately high responsibilty/project co-ordinator who is accredited as a planner, has 5 years experience (I'm not just copying my resume ;) ) normally gets billed out at approximately $$ dollars per hour, charge out.

Again, I know this will vary but I'm just trying to get some broad ranges - thanks. Any input helps!!

MR

el Guapo

Capitalist
Here in the US Midwest I'd say $50-65(US) per hour for an AICP holding, 5 years of experience planner is fair as a non-benefited contractual hire (not an employee). More if they are a big name or have better skills. Remember 50% comes off the top for taxes right away and that leaves $25 an hour to pay wages and insurance. Hope this helps. I think I may be low balling it.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We are unusual in that we a re a public office, and we charge out our time. For 2002 its $65 an hour, but that will be going up.

Jeff

Cyburbian
$50.00 for just a generic planner...
$60-65 for a senior/upper level planner
$75 for Planning Director...

donk

Cyburbian
some of the consultants we have used are

$400-500 / day for intermediate level staff
$600-800 / day for senior staff
$250-350/day for administrative staff

all pricces are CDN

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I was doing a little better than breaking even at $65 an hour when I closed my consulting practice in 1999, but there has been some modest inflation since. Around here (Rocky Mountain West), people with the level of experience you are describing would be billed at maybe $75-80. Top level people are getting well over $100.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
The Northern Virgina area :

Many developers/property owners/applicants in the legislative entitlement and administrative processes hire Planners who work for law firms to represent them. Not sure this happens in too many other places.

The Planner rate is between:

$165.00 and $225.00 per hour.

Baud

Thanks for all the responses thus far - quite a spread. Wonder if any law firms out there need an urban designer.....?

MR

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Relationship between salary and billable rate

But what about the multiplier? If the multiplier for the firm located in your area is around 3.5 and your billable rate is $65, then you should be making about $38,629.

$65.00 x 40 hours per week x 52 weeks = $135,200.00.

Divide the $135,200.00 result by the 3.5 multiplier and you get $38,629.

Does that sound about right?