• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Careers 🎩 Planner vs management analyst vs etc.

Watermark

As I look for opportunities to advance in my career, I have come across management analysts in my searches. And some descriptions are similar to planners. I was wondering what are the differences between a manager analyst in planning and a planner? I actually just saw an update where a senior planner accepted a management analyst position.

Which has also made me think, what are other searches or fields that I should be searching for that I might be missing out on as a planner. Thanks.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
The management analysts from what I have seen in my parts is typically connected to the City Manager's office. Tempting, but I am to into the temptress we call planning.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
This is a part of my job now and I like it very much. I guess like most things it's how you approach it and how your organization wants to use it and you. When I went back to school for my MPA I had a class called Program Analysis and Policy Evaluation (or something like that) and while some of the actual theory was pretty dry the concept behind it was really intriguing to me. I've definitely used it to evaluate several of our departments here and make lots of recommendations and changes. It's a great way to have an impact on how work is conducted day to day. Not everyone will enjoy that but I really do. It allows you to connect and get to know a lot of your personnel and how each unit operates.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
In my experience the title can be used pretty broadly, and is not always related to working within the City Manager's Office per se. For example, in my MSA the municipalities will use the term 'management analyst' as a position within each of the large departments, and the role is really about aligning the department's work with the organizational structure and processes within the City (e.g. council agenda processes, annual budgeting processes). That being said, I have seen other examples (particularly in the smaller municipalities) where the role really is about assisting with much of the day-to-day in the City Manager's Office. I would guess in both cases it's fairly similar, but with smaller municipalities the role would handle multiple departments.

From what I have seen the skill sets can have a lot of crossover with planning. Much like the question about whether to pursue an MURP or MPA, whether or not it is a good fit will likely have to do with your professional interests. The role is less likely to allow you to take a full dive into planning, but it can probably be a good opportunity to get the broader perspective and skill sets within public policy and administration.

DVD

Cyburbian
Our title is management assistant. They handle things for the City Manager or assorted department heads. Some of it is basic reporting of department stats and preparing monthly reports. Some of it is doing research on whatever topic is needed and some of it is handling the angry person. Basically a catch all for the department head, but really good experience. Just not a job I want in my town.