• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Planners and Cubs

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
I have this theory----that Planners are naturally attracted to the Chicago Cubs. Possible reasons:
---The Cubs are an urban team
---Wrigley Field is a historic resource
---The Cubs interact with the neighborhood
---The Cubs lose and come back for more (may be my favorite reason)
What do you think?
Could there be another baseball team that is a planner's delight?
I'll stick with the Cubs.
Hey Hey
Earl

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
The only team similar, but not as popular outside New England would be the Red Sox.

---The Red Sox are an urban team
---Fenway Park is a historic resource
---They're cursed by the sale of one of the greatest players of all time to their hated rival for cash to fund a failed Broadway Show.
---Everytime they get close to winning the World Series, something goes horribly wrong (Bill Buckner).

Yet, I don't think the Red Sox have the same appeal as the Cubs...the Cubs are just such lovable losers, while I would imagine people don't find the Red Sox to be as lovable.

I'm still (as I do every year) hoping for a Cubs-Red Sox World Series so that one city at least can put an end to their respective droughts!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Wrigley Field is one of the few decent ball fields left. Ticket sales wins out over creating an experience.

As for the Cubs, this is the year.

Really.

masafer

Cyburbian
Bah! The only problem with Wrigley Field is that it's full of Cubs fans. Or people pretending to be Cubs fans, which is almost as bad.

Go Sox! (White, that is)

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Great posts to date. As planners we should be careful of "instant Cub Fans" as when the Cubs had unexpected success (1984 and 89). Suddenly Cub fans were everywhere. But planners generally should be with the Cubs, in feast and famine.
The Cubs are all we planners dream of in terms of roots and historic preservation. I.E., it is almost 100 years since they won a World Series.
Hey Hey
Earl

Mabe

As a life long Yankee fan and Bronx native I have to argue against you. But I dont know how the slums around Yankee stadium fit into this.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Now I know why I like the Leafs!

As I was reading Earl's start to the thread regarding as a planner why he loves the Cubs, I began to think about why I love my only truly adored sports team... my beloved Maple Leafs! You may think that it's because I live in Canada... but that's just a coinky dinky... because I'm really from Los Angeles...

But back to my point at hand... Why I love the Leafs... To use Earl's example.

---The Leafs are an urban team (and in Toronto's mind, the only urban team).
---Maple Leaf Gardens is a historic resource (but not so beloved that they abandoned it for a bigger arena).
---The Leafs interact with the country (often to the consternation of everyplace outside of Ontario).
---The Leafs lose and come back for more (may be my favorite reason).

Thanks Earl for letting my steal your thread... I just wanted to translated it for those north of the border :)

nerudite has inspired me to list the reasons why I love the Saints....

---The Saints are an urban team

---The Superdome is an historic structure (often imitated but never duplicated)

---They got rid of one of the team's worst coaches and kicked ass the next season (sorry Ditka fans but it's true)

---They haven't abandoned the city (at least not yet) like the wretched Jazz did back in the late 70's (Even though I was a small child when this happened, yet I still suffer from trauma)

---No matter how inconsistent they are during the season, we still love them and come back for more

---They have the coolest colors and logo - black and gold with a fleur-de-lis

Geaux Saints Geaux!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

I know it's a baseball thread, but I despise that sport ;)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am a Planner and I hate the Cubs. I do love Wrigley Field though. That being said, the NFL is king and Planderella inspired me with her Saints message..

Reasons why the Green Bay Packers rule:

1. They are owned by the people of Green Bay (and anyone else who has ever purchased stock. No other team in the NFL can boast that. In fact, the NFL prohibits such ownership schemes. The Pack is grandfathered. This means that some greedy owner won't move the team to LA.

2. What other City with a bit over 100,000 people can support an NFL franchise? (or any other professional team for that matter)

3. They have sold out every game since the 60s, even in the 70s and 80s when they stunk.

4. The waiting list for season tickets is larger than the Lambeau Field capacity. Most people on the list will be long dead before their name comes up.

5. No matter what City you are in, you can find a Packer-friendly bar.

6. Brett Favre

7. They are good

8. People begin tailgating at 6 am

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin - I'll agree with everything but #7. LOL

I get to 1 or 2 games a year when tickets are thrown my way. Sat in the club level last year and hated it. No crowd noise, no hub bub (but on some level you gotta love sporting events with wait staff)

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Yes indeed---the Packers do rule. One additional reason is the super, super bakeries in Green Bay -----Cinnamon Rolls bigger than a football, but very potent. Other assorted "Shnecks" or sweet rolls,and breads and rolls like you wouldn't believe.
And of course, Vince Lombardi lives in Green Bay--he will never die.
But the Packers did win a Super Bowl---actually more than one, in the last 90 years.
Now the Cubs, they haven't won a World Series since 1908, and there is no relief in sight.
So one has to be a really long, long-range planner to see when the Cubbies will taste success.
Hey hey!!!
Earl

boiker

Cyburbian
Earl Finkler said:
I have this theory----that Planners are naturally attracted to the Chicago Cubs. Possible reasons:
---The Cubs are an urban team
---Wrigley Field is a historic resource
---The Cubs interact with the neighborhood
---The Cubs lose and come back for more (may be my favorite reason)
What do you think?
Could there be another baseball team that is a planner's delight?
I'll stick with the Cubs.
Hey Hey
Earl
[/QUOTE

have we payed attention this year?

Wrigley field may soon be modified with cantalevered outfield bleachers over the adjacent sidewalks and streets...

Tribune company erected giant blue tarp 'windscreens' to keep the rooftop owners and the neighborhood from seeing a free baseball game.

The cubs don't like coming back to loose all the time. The fans are too drunk to care. Tribune is making boat loads of money and they don't need to invest into a quality team with the income flowing in.

I'm a sox fan, i don't have much going for me.

Sox, urban team.
Comisky, poor excuse for a ballpark that is supposed to look like the old one.

The nieghborhood is starting to gentrify. The housing projects are starting to be demo'd.

The sox loose, then they win, then they loose, and break your heart years after year. At least with the cubs you know they're going to stink!

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Some good concerns about the Cubs and their future.
But I think it goes deeper. True Cub fans do not really care if the team keeps losing. Although a World Series win every century would be nice. The Cubs have not made major changes yet to Wrigley, except for the lights. So we live in hope for the future.

And the neighborhood around Wrigley seems vibrant.
I know even in Arizona, there is an extra zap in Mesa with the Cubs there.

We do miss Harry Caray though. He left some very big shoes which have not begun to be filled.
Hey hey
Earl