• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Planners do it all: variety vs. quantity

F

Frustrated

"Planners do it all!" I've heard more than one planner, exasperated at the challenge of describing planning to a layman, use this phrase. I've even used it myself. But to me, it's always referred to the variety of work planners do and issues they deal with. I'm never taken it to mean that planners actually do all the work going on.

Why don't other people understand that? On one hand they complain that planning gives a few people, including the planners, too much power to do stuff. On the other, they expect the planners to do everything.

Does anyone else feel trapped between others wanting both to do everything themselves and you to do everything for them? How do you cope?

Thanks.

Laugh

You don't have any young children do you? If you did you wouldn't think being in that position the least bit unusual.