• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Planners Fantasy Football League

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Ok, so I'll admit it, I am a fantasy football junkie. I can't get enough of it. Football season is my favorite time of year, and fantasy football makes it better. That being said, I thought it would be a cool idea to have a cyburbia leage. I could set up a free league on yahoo.com or sandbox.com and we could do an auto-draft, where you set up a ranked list and the website drafts for you.

I don't know how many football fans are on here, so this may be a bad idea. I guess I will wait and see what the response is.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I'm in.

I'll call McNabb as my QB and I want the bIrds defense too :)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I'm in...

I'll set one up on sandbox if we can get ten folks to play...

But the live drafts are MUCH more fun!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I'm in. Set up it up on Yahoo. I usually have several teams going in several places.

Hope I get Warner.......

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'll play on yahoo...I usually play in 2 leagues...why not a third!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Yahoo v. Sandbox

Can we get this going? Why Yahoo?

I've always loved Sandbox, and I have a Yahoo and a CNN/SI already going...

And, live or not? Thoughts?

Glomer

I'm in....

Yahoo or Sandbox, it doens't matter to me. It will be fun to read the trash talk.......it will be similar to the normal cyburbia forums, but with football played inbetween.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Hey, I would love to do a live online draft, if we can find a good time to do it.

Yahoo or Sandbox works for me. I did a yahoo league last year and I found the site more enjoyable than sandbox. Sandbox loves to fill your mailbox with spam. They also try and sell you a subscription to Playboy ever other time you log in.

If you already have a league going in yahoo or sandbox, you can always use a different e-mail to set up a new team.

Commissioner.com rules, but this year they are charging $120 per league.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I always liked Yahoo, and let's be real here we might as well go for the auto draft because we are never going to be able to do a live draft, they take forever over the net and I honestly can't have that up on my computer all day at work.

We gotta bring some of the women in too so we can beat up on them and steal all their good players from them. HEHE

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike DeVuono said:
We gotta bring some of the women in too so we can beat up on them and steal all their good players from them. HEHE

:)
You have GOT to be kidding, right???????????? If you want it like that, then BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!! :D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'm sitting out my regular FFL league this year due to time constraints. Even with cbssportsline's web service, I was never around at the right time to get my roster set for the week. Ugg. As a result I placed 10th out of 12 teams. Maybe next year I'll be sitting around tapping pencils looking to keep busy...

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Compromise?

Yahoo live, or Sandbox autopick?

Of course, one fine option for us would be the Sandbox "slow live draft", in which you have up to 24 hours to make a pick.

More thoughts? (And Planderella will pick Ricky Williams in the first round... and bench him for the season.)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Getting everyone together at once for a live draft would be problematic, but either of the other two options would work for me. I've never used sandbox, but I'd try it.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I know squat about football... but come hockey season I'd love to do fantasy hockey. Of course, it may just be Tranplanner and I... and even then we are both Leafs fans, so it may not be a diverse pool...

jtfortin said:
What about Planderella? Seems like she was a big Saints fan.
I still am a big Saints fan, despite the changes in management and the constant soap opera-worthy personal dramas of the players. :)

NHPlanner

Staff member
Why not both yahoo and sandbox?

I'm more comfortable on yahoo, and would gladly set it up (today if you want). Perhaps we have 2 leagues, I could set up yahoo (and post the necessary information to join the league)and jfortin could set one up on sandbox?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I think Nerudite got it right, but I'm not sure how many Leafs I'd be picking for this coming season :(

However, I'm up for joining the football pool. Just don't laugh at my stupid picks.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
The sandbox slow live draft is a pretty cool feature. You can que up players and set it to auto draft if you won't be around to make your picks. This feature also works well when you get into round 10 or 11 and the only players left on the board are kickers and tight ends.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Yahoo Cyburbia Football League

Allright...I got motivated enough to start a yahoo league. It's limited to the first 20 teams (19 slots are left). I chose Autodraft for simplicity, and head to head format for scoring. I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from starting up any companion leagues on other sites!

In order to join, just go to http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1, click the Sign Up Now! button and choose to Join a Private League. Then, when prompted, enter the following information...

League ID#: 136493
Password: sprawlstinks

NHPlanner

Staff member
Tranplanner said:
Okay - I'm in. What do I do now?
Pre-rank the players you'd like to draft.

Once we have a full league and everyone has ranked their players I'll let yahoo do the draft.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Here's what Yahoo just e-mailed me:

Welcome to Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football.

This is to confirm that you've created the Private League named Cyburbia Football League and the team called Concord Kodiaks in that league.

To allow other coaches to join your league, send them the League ID# and Password. In your case, the ID# is 136493 and the Password is sprawlstinks.

You have chosen for your league to take part in an Autopick draft. Until the draft takes place, you (and only you) can change the type of draft by using the Change Draft Type option found among your Commissioner Tools, which can be reached from your League Overview page.

Your league's draft can begin as soon as everyone is ready, but must be conducted by Thursday, October 3. Simply use the Change Draft Status option found among your Commissioner Tools to tell us that you are ready, and we'll notify you by email as soon as the draft is complete.

We have set default player rankings for you, but suggest you personalize them to your liking. All league members can begin pre-ranking players as soon as they want by simply going to the Fantasy Football home page and clicking on their team name.

Thanks for joining. Good luck.

--Fantasy Football Commissioner
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1

el Guapo

Capitalist
What is a FFL?

Really - Someone please explain this Fantasy Football thing to me.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
El Guapo said:
Really - Someone please explain this Fantasy Football thing to me.
Pretty simple, really.

1) You pick the best players you can from ANY NFL team. (Now, the best players aren't always the best FANTASY players) That's the draft. Other teams pick as well, so you can't have them all.

2) When the NFL games are played, the players on your team get points based on their personal performance. (i.e. 6 points for a touchdown, a kicker gets 3 points for a FG) You can only play a certain number of players at a position.

3) You add up your score, and the team you played that week, and the one with the most... wins.

I've been doing this on paper long before the computer versions came along...

They don't have a spot for how many players you want at which position... That makes ranking them a bit tougher.

Last edited by a moderator:

el Guapo

Capitalist
Thanks.

That implies that to win you would have to be familiar with the skills of the current roster of NFL players. I'm a Chiefs fan so I gave up hope long ago. I wish you guys and ladies luck because my picks would be based upon the sing-song nature of their names. Or perhaps I could try to amass an all president's, irish or all german team based upon last names. My guess is I would loose. Let us know how it turns out.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: Darn Yahoo...

Mastiff said:
They don't have a spot for how many players you want at which position... That makes ranking them a bit tougher.
A starting roster in the Cyburbia Football League is:

1 Qb
3 WR
2 RB
1 TE
1 WR/TE
1 WR/RB

1 K

2 DEF

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: Darn Yahoo...

NHPlanner said:

A starting roster in the Cyburbia Football League is:

1 Qb
3 WR
2 RB
1 TE
1 WR/TE
1 WR/RB

1 K

2 DEF
But if you edit your list and have 10 QB's in a row... you might get two of them. One for the bench...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I signed up for both. If we need to clear a space for someone, I can drop out of one of the leagues.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'll do commentary with Jack Summerall

His favorite line of mine was during a Tampa Bay home game, after a TD and the pitate ship fired its cannons.

He muttered something like, "I always wanted to be a pirate."

...then added:

"...sailing on the open seas".

Mastiff

Gunfighter
jtfortin said:
I signed up for both. If we need to clear a space for someone, I can drop out of one of the leagues.
I think we're going to need all we can get...

NHPlanner

Staff member
6 in the Yahoo league thus far...

Glomer

I'm in the Yahoo.......

Only six though.....we need at least 10 to make things interesting.

NHPlanner

Staff member
We're now at 7 in the Yahoo league.

A note: I will randomize the draft order (unless we can come up with a better idea for coming up with a draft order) before letting yahoo do the autodraft....as it sits right now it's listing the draft order in the order people join the league....and it wouldn't be fair for me to have the first pick just because I created the league.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Two more players!

C'mon... Join the Yahoo league at least!

With 10 we can draft!

NHPlanner

Staff member
We're at 8....which could work....but it would be great to have 10...at least that way everyone won't make the playoffs. :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Maybe we could sweeten the pot...the winner gets...um...a huge stack of unread "Planning" magazines!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Maybe a date with PlannerGirl would entice Dan to join.

We could offer a $20 gift certificate to Taco Bell for El Guapo.

A free match.com listing could get PlannerGirl involved.

Oh, and Planderella? Us guys will be WHOOPIN' up on you and taking your good players!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Hey! Stop picking on PlannerGirl! Besides, you have the wrong approach. How about a subscription to the VS catalog for everyone who joins?

Poof! Poof!

Meow.

Poof!

NHPlanner

Staff member
For the winner...

How 'bout the winner receives 1 small ( <$5) gift from each of the "losers."

I was thinking a bottle of NH Maple Syrup, an ear of Iowa Corn, a piece of WI cheese...etc.....

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: For the winner...

NHPlanner said:

I was thinking a bottle of NH Maple Syrup, an ear of Iowa Corn, a piece of WI cheese...etc.....
Oooo... I LIKE, I LIKE!

Jeff

Cyburbian
A Philly Cheese Steak w/ cheese whiz :)

They're even better in the mail.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Re: For the winner...

NHPlanner said:

That sounds excellent. I am looking forward to winning and recieving a bucket of crawfish etouffee' from Planderella