• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Fantasy football 🏈 Planners Fantasy Football League

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Re: For the winner...

NHPlanner said:
How 'bout the winner receives 1 small ( <$5) gift from each of the "losers."

I was thinking a bottle of NH Maple Syrup, an ear of Iowa Corn, a piece of WI cheese...etc.....

Know how hard ears of Iowa Corn are to come by in December? I would have to freeze one now. I like the idea though, probably could find some small Iowa token

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: For the winner...

jtfortin said:

That sounds excellent. I am looking forward to winning and recieving a bucket of crawfish etouffee' from Planderella

A six-pack of Dixie Beer for me! I'll cook up my own creole stuff...

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
OK....back to my role as the "commish."

We're at 8 teams. How'bout we set a deadline of Monday for new teams to join, and Wednesday to rank your players for the draft. That way we have a couple of weeks to peruse free agents and make trades before the season starts.

Comments from the league owners?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
NHPlanner said:
OK....back to my role as the "commish."

We're at 8 teams. How'bout we set a deadline of Monday for new teams to join, and Wednesday to rank your players for the draft. That way we have a couple of weeks to peruse free agents and make trades before the season starts.

Comments from the league owners?

Yeesh... mine are ranked and ready to go.

I don't see the GRITS in there, yet. Someone should give a gentle nudge... my tactic didn't work.

I think everyone in there posts here often, just a quick "I'm ready" from everyone, and we go!

NHPlanner

Staff member
I'm ready whenever everyone else is....

Final call for teams....we're especially desirous of a team based in the Big Easy coached by someone that doesn't mind sharing thoughts about VS thongs.....come on Planderella the boys want to play and we need some feminine influence on the league.

KMateja, please come and play too....your husband can make all the picks for you and we don't even need to know!

:D

Mastiff

Gunfighter
NHPlanner said:
I'm ready whenever everyone else is....

Final call for teams....we're especially desirous of a team based in the Big Easy coached by someone that doesn't mind sharing thoughts about VS thongs.....come on Planderella the boys want to play and we need some feminine influence on the league.

KMateja, please come and play too....your husband can make all the picks for you and we don't even need to know!

:D

I think they're ignoring us...

prudence

Cyburbian
FFL

I won't be able to rank players until end of the day monday...but I am in.

Maybe I'll offer up some of my Packer tickets at Lambeau to the winner...nothing like a january game at the Tundra.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
It's slow live draft... everyone picks in turn, and you have up to 24 hours. But don't actually TAKE 24 hours...

By the way, we still have 6 spots on Sandbox. If folks here aren't going to play, you might tell other people in your office or friends, so we have enough to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The Canadian contingent is pretty much ready - I just need to do my rankings...but I noticed a distinct lack of CFL players in the player rankings.

Glomer

Extreme Importance

we need one more person to sign up for fantasy football in yahoo before we can draft..........

Someone Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Someone please sign up
For the yahoo football league
or we will hurt you

Fourther encouragement for female participation in the fantasy leagues from fftoday.com

Letting The Chicks In
Women in FF
by Tanya Lea
7/29/02

I remember fondly the first time I'd ever heard of Fantasy Football. It was the summer of 1998; I was working as a bartender and a group of regulars had a FF mag sitting on the bar in front of them. I snatched it up and gave it a quick glance, noting out loud that I thought that Jacksonville was highly overrated. Silence followed. A girl who likes football?!? I was an instant hit. That is, of course, until I tried to join their league.
I was given the usual excuses about expansion franchises and how the league is only comprised of people that they know. Although disappointed, I dropped it. For the time being, at least.

To their credit, they allowed me to be the first girl ever invited to join them in the infamous 'garage' for the season opener. I had to make the chili and do beer runs, but I was allowed to be there.

The following spring, I asked again if I could join. After spending nearly every Sunday planted in the garage, I thought I had earned their trust and had proven that I knew a thing or two about the sport. Alas, I was denied for the second time.

Finally, at the end of the next season, someone dropped out of the league. Immediately, I requested entrance. The league commissioner, now one of my closest friends, posed the question to the other owners as such: "You guys don't want xpanda in the league, do you??" I was less than impressed when they unanimously agreed to keep me out. Instead, they let a guy join who thought Peerless Price was a rock band.

Not one to be held down, I said screw it and decided to start my own league. I gathered up nine other football fans and began the first annual Can O' Whoop-Ass Fantasy Football League. Now in its third year, the fact that it is run by a woman has completely failed to be an issue. The boys want to be beat me as badly as I want to beat them.

I often see posts on this and other message boards about keeping women out of fantasy football. Now, I can understand fully not wanting your wife or girlfriend playing (my ex-boyfriend played in my league last year … we were broken up by week three) but to state that women in general will bring down the integrity of the all-boys club is not only narrow-minded, it's a tad immature. Any woman who gets herself involved in this game should be a) knowledgeable, b) thick-skinned, and c) prepared for some sexist commentary; in fact, I would encourage her to dish it out herself (you should hear me rave about Terrell Davis every Sunday.)

(Those boys finally let me into their league two years ago. I took second place the first year, and first place last year. They don't mock me anymore.)

Nobody gets into my leagues (I now run three) without knowing their sport. The level of competition needs to be held to a high standard; know your stuff or don't play. Whether or not you stand up to pee is hardly a burning issue. So I am happy to announce that this year, for the first time, I will be welcoming another very knowledgeable woman into the world of Fantasy Football.

I look forward to kicking her ass.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
"And with the #1 overall pick of the 2002 draft... The N.O. Hot GRITS select.... Ricky Williams!"

Planderella

Cyburbian
I thought Mastiff was being funny when he said that. You guys can HAVE Ricky Williams with his psychotic self. :D

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I miss the old days when Ricky would keep his helmet on during interviews and on the sidelines.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Planderella said:
I thought Mastiff was being funny when he said that. You guys can HAVE Ricky Williams with his psychotic self. :D

Mastiff was trying to be funny...

I figure you'd draft him and then bench him for the season!

Don't we have ELEVEN now?

Perhaps we can find #12 out there somewhere? C'mon folks!

Planderella

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:

Mastiff was trying to be funny...

I figure you'd draft him and then bench him for the season!

I might just do that, right after I make him pose for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition in an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini. ;)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Planderella said:

I might just do that, right after I make him pose for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition in an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini. ;)

MY EYES! AUGGGGH!

Thank you for that mental image, Dawlin'. If anyone needs me, I'll be over in a corner clawing out my eyeballs so I never... ever... happen to see that for real.

Planderella

Cyburbian
**Evil Laugh** I rendered the Great Grim Reaper of Planning blind!!! I AM SUPREME!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Planderella said:
**Evil Laugh** I rendered the Great Grim Reaper of Planning blind!!! I AM SUPREME!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Now I'll have to find you by feel... MUHAHAHAHAHA!

NHPlanner

Staff member
We're on...

I switched the league to "ready to draft" mode.

The draft will "be completed sometime between now and Friday, August 9 at 11:59 pm PT."

More updates to come....sorry so quiet over the last day or so...I was home with a sick daughter. :(

Mastiff

Gunfighter
seannelson said:
Is the sandbox league finished before it begins?

Seems so. We needed six more people.

NHPlanner said:
I switched the league to "ready to draft" mode.

The draft will "be completed sometime between now and Friday, August 9 at 11:59 pm PT."

More updates to come....sorry so quiet over the last day or so...I was home with a sick daughter. :(

Did we end up with 12? or 11...

NHPlanner

Staff member
12. I added a team that will be coached by my wife. :)

NHPlanner

Staff member
Planderella said:

Cool, another chick to help me kick some boo-tay around here!! :D

She's kicked my ass is fantasy baseball in the past.... :)

seannelson

sandbox league

I have switched to another league called The Armchair QB's. It is a slow draft, set to begin on Aug 13, if any of you are interested. There are still some spots open.

Sorry Dan, that doesn't you aren't a planning god; I would interpret it as you're a better at planning than fantasy league promotions.

NHPlanner

Staff member
The Draft is complete

Let the trading and free agent signings begin!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
FF Team seeking:

Stud running back.

Will trade a bevy of fine wide-outs.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Sorry guys i dont keep up with foot ball anymore-got better things to do

good luck GRITS!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Yeah... I don't know football at all, but I'll root for the Grrrl team ;) Go GRITS go!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Planderella said:
Are you referring to those lemons you tried to trade off on me????

No...

Just probin'...

If you need some wideouts, propose one to me!

I figured someone out there had an extra top 10 RB and wanted a top 10 WR...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
What WRs are you offering?

It will take quite an offer for me to part with my killer RB tandem of Ricky Williams and Corey Dillion.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
jtfortin said:
What WRs are you offering?

It will take quite an offer for me to part with my killer RB tandem of Ricky Williams and Corey Dillion.

Well, Ricky is a headcase, but the move to Miami should help him quite a bit. I'm not real high on Dillon... He's an up and down back. He'll either give you huge points, or screw you.

My WR's are good.

Randy Moss
Rod Smith
Isaac Bruce
Jimmy Smith

And those are the top guys... Gardner with Spurriers offense could be the sleeper of the year:

Fantasy Spin: He is immensely talented and could flourish in Spurrier's offense if the team can find a quarterback to get him the ball. He's one of this year's top sleeper picks.

Koren Robinson and Darnay Scott aren't slouches, either...

If you wanted to upgrade at WR, I'd give up one of my backs and a top WR and a 2nd tier WR, plus Travis Henry...

Some package like:

Rod Smith or Isaac Bruce (I want to keep Moss)
Gardner, Scott, or Robinson
Travis Henry

For:

Ricky Williams

prudence

Cyburbian
QBs

Looking for a QB...somehow the warroom forgot about the position...

ALL reasonable offers will be entertained.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: QBs

prudence said:
Looking for a QB...somehow the warroom forgot about the position...

ALL reasonable offers will be entertained.

How's Jake Plummer for a bag of footballs sound?

They can even be practice balls...

prudence

Cyburbian
What are you looking for??

I like Jake, but remember he gets hurried a lot and throws INTs...

Mastiff

Gunfighter
But I have to have the back-up with that guy... If he goes down, which he's prone to do, you need him.

It's kind of a "throw in".

prudence said:
What are you looking for??

I like Jake, but remember he gets hurried a lot and throws INTs...

Hopefully... He has an impoved O-line now. Bit it's hard to tell about this stuff.

I tried to send you a message on Yahoo, Prudence.

Didn't get it? Or didn't want to reply...

prudence

Cyburbian
I just got you lastest proposal, and I am thinking about the trade right now. Sometimes I am slow.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
prudence said:
I just got you lastest proposal, and I am thinking about the trade right now. Sometimes I am slow.

Oh, slow is fine... If you wanted to discuss players, you can message me.