• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Planning: general Planners in movies

Cismontane

Cyburbian
"Hiroshima Mon Amour" is still a classic...

On the lighter side, the film short by GHG emissions campaign NGO 10:10, "No Pressure" is noteworthy. The film short depicated small children being blow up, among other bloody things. It was pulled from the air after the public complained.

stroskey

Cyburbian
Family Guy had an episode where they wanted to get a pool permit but found out they actually weren't part of the city so they became their own country. Another episode dealt with the struggle between Walmart and small businesses.

King of the Hill actually had many episodes that seriously mentioned planning and zoning concepts, such as setbacks, residential densities, being active in local planning efforts, Walmart vs small business (a good episode with realistic points, IMO), public participation in government, auto usage, suburban sprawl, neighborhood associations, and fighting chain stores. King of the Hill was a show that was a comedy, but also seriously dealt with some large issues in a mature way.

sequoianelf

Cyburbian
Parks and Rec. There is a pretty cool Planner. Maybe not the starring role but I like that there is a SNL character as lead.

Random Traffic Guy

Cyburbian
Anyone see the latest Walking Dead episode on AMC? They introduced Jackie, an official from the Atlanta Zoning Office:D I wish we had a zombie emoticon for this post. I give her one or two more episodes before she is consumed by a zombie:r:8-!
Yeah, I saw the Walking Dead episode and laughed out loud. Then I wondered how a zoning person would know about the sewage tunnel. It would've been more plausible if she was from DPW :)
Well, it was plausible that she was completely useless!

And from last night's season finale:
She essentially committed suicide by remaining behind when the CDC blew itself up.

The One

Cyburbian
Yup.....

Well, it was plausible that she was completely useless!

And from last night's season finale:
She essentially committed suicide by remaining behind when the CDC blew itself up.
Just another weak willed planner taking the easy way out:-{ Did you notice that no one tried that hard to talk her out of it:-o:not: They were all like.....you sure?....but....ah well ok then.....

Water Planner

Bullit with Steve McQueen

I'm not sure but I think that Steve McQueen's lady in Bullit (Jackie Bissett) was a landscape architect (she was designing a fountain at the office she worked in and the surroundings looked very design oriented) so that is close to the urban planner species.

lbjw

planning in film

As an architect, I can find lots of movies, some you have mentioned. As a planner, not so many. As a faculty member planning to teach a short course called Planning in Pop Culture, I am needing your collective wisdom. My co-instructor has found popular music using planning vocabulary but I have the film component and looking for popular movies with planning concepts, vocabulary, and/or characters. Thanks for the few leads. You all are terrific! I'll check them out but keep 'em coming. I've got to find 10 films...can be foreign, comic, short, or television. I'll be watching movies and reporting back. Bring 'em. lb

Jazlyn007

Pocahontas (1995 film)

I suggest movies like "Pocahontas (1995)", you get to see the amazing change and it's effects on people...

Jazlyn007

Here's a sample conversation I've had:

"What do you go to school for?"
"Urban planning"
long silence. "Like, putting in trees and bushes and stuff?"
"No, Planning, not PLANTING - planning and directing the growth of a city - zoning and stuff."
"Oh." long silence. "You mean, that's a job someone does?"
"Yeah, how do you think things get built and taken care of in a city?"
"I don't know, I guess I never thought about it. I thought it just...well...happened."

^^ Lolz similar situation .. when ever I tell people I do "Planning", they automatically think I do wedding planning or something, if I say "Urban Planning" .. they straight away assume I'm a hard core protect the planet green hippie or something lolz!

Kip

"Boys n the Hood" (1991) depicts life in poor south LA. It examines African American familial relationships in an inner city urban ghetto.

Vancity

Cyburbian
Lol well, its not a movie, but the show Parks and Recreation is planning related!? They have a city planner too, Mark Brandanowitz! :D

... and whenever I tell people I'm studying to be a city planner.. they ALWAYS think that means architect "oh cool, so you like, design buildings!?" ... "no.... It's where the buildings go not what they look like.." .... "I don't get it, why?"

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Not a movie, but in the first season of The Walking Dead one of the characters worked in the "zoning office" of the City of Atlanta before the zombie apocalypse. But I think they only mention it once, when she suggests going through a basement exit/storm drain tunnel of an old building to escape the zombies (the reason she knew that the exit existed was from working in the zoning office).

DVD

Cyburbian
Lol well, its not a movie, but the show Parks and Recreation is planning related!? They have a city planner too, Mark Brandanowitz! :D
I liked the early seasons, he was always hanging out in the courtyard drinking beer. The planner was the cool guy, not just some side reference.

I can't remember the show, but one of the many cop shows out there (I think it was Without A Trace) had an NYC planner as a suspect. She had plans for a building. I think they sometimes confuse planners with building officials, but it's still good to get a nod out there sometimes.

Moderator note:

Merged another thread about planners in movies into this thread.
This topic on Cyburbia is trending on Google, both on the first page and second page!

Link on first page::
Movies with or about urban planners/urban planning - Cyburbia

The same link, listed separately on the second page:
Movies with or about urban planners/urban planning - Cyburbia

Unfortunately, the link appears to be broken..You get:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested thread could not be found.
From an admin viewpoint, this might be easily fixable.

Last edited:
(Looks like 7½ years between the date of the last member post (by DVD)
and the July 2020 date that Dan merged the threads.)

From January 2013 to the present day:
  • Which planning-related movies particularly stand out?
  • Which planner movie roles particularly stand out?

By 'stand out', I mean:
  • for the planner environment, or
  • individual opinions of Cyburbia members, or
  • perceptions of the 'general public'.

Movie, "Motherless Brooklyn" (Nov 2019):
Produced, Directed, Written by, and Starring Actor Edward Norton.
In the real world, Norton's maternal grandfather was the famous master planner, James Rouse;
Indeed, Edward Norton really knew what he was doing when he set his movie to the planning world of late-1950s New York City. .

Co-starring a Robert Moses-like character, played by Alec Baldwin.
Also, some cameos from a Jane Jacobs-like character, done to perfection by Cherry Jones.
Willem DaFoe poses as a down-on-his-luck unnamed architect.

Then-NYC Mayor Robert F. Wagner Jr. is depicted as a weak-ish and mostly unsympathetic character.
(In the real world, Mayor Wagner did not show a whole lot of 'spine' until the early 1960s.)

Movie has an eerily realistic "planning meeting" held by the late-1950s "NYC Board of Commisionners",
complete with "big, angry audience" of "random low-level activists" and "public-housing tenants".
I put things in quotes because they are all played by actors and the movie is fictional.

Everything about the movie's plot you'll have to read somewhere else. (Below are a few links.)
The star-studded cast also includes Bruce Willis and Bobby Cannavale.
Edward Norton shines at casting and is amazing in the star role.

Norton was not so great at directing. The movie was very entertaining, but too long and wordy.
It was not a box office success and the Rotten Tomatometer gave it a 63% rating.

If you can stream "Motherless Brooklyn" for free, or very cheaply, then consider giving it a look.
BTW, it looks like HBO will have it on starting tomorrow, July 30th.

Links to movie: