• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

Planners specializing in environmental studies in demand?

I have an undergraduate degree in urban economic geography and environmental resource management. I was thinking of doing a masters in planning specializing in "environmental planning", is this in demand right now? In US and in Canada.

THanks

In Canada, no particular kind of planner is in high demand. However, in this ever changing world, a person who is flexible, adaptable, and capable of "just-in-time learning" will be in high demand. A good planning education should give you that. Do not consider yourself as a planner who specializes in environmental planning, but as a person who specilizies in being a generalist who happens to work as an environmental planner.

Twenty years ago, I was hired as a Resource Planner. Over those years, I spent probably no more than 10% of my time on environmental and resource planning. But I am happy to have the opportunities to learn and work in many other sub-fields of planning.

Good Luck!