• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Planning Avatar

jmf

Cyburbian
After suggestions elsewhere, here is my planning avatar.

Meet Thomas Adams.

On December 6, 1917, a French munitions ship collided with a Belgian relief ship at the Narrows in Halifax Harbour resulting in the largest manmade explosion before Hiroshima.

About 2,000 people were killed and most of North End Halifax was destroyed by the explosion. A relief Commission was set up immediately to help the homeless and eventually to rebuild the devastated area.

Thomas Adams drew a new master plan for this area of the city and from that the hydrostone district was built by 1921.

There is a really interesting photo collection of the reconstruction at http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/explosion/

Some pictures of the district:

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I remember reading some of this at one of the museums I visited while in Halifax last June on my honeymoon. Would have liked to have read more about it at the time....but honeymoon activities took priority. Thanks for the link j!

prudence

Cyburbian
The account of the explosion was in Maxim a few months ago...complete with pictures. Apparently the beached ship became an attraction to the locals (moths to a flame??)...as they were admiring the event, the explosion occurred.

donk

Cyburbian
You stole my avatar. I have been looking al morning for a thomas adams picture.

Someone else already has jane jacobs, I'll have to try and find a picture of john sewell.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
This is my planning-related avatar. I don't have a planning hero, but I sure have dealt with enough trailer parks!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
What do you think of the avatar? Guess my distaste for "fake" traditional neighborhoods

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Wow, thanks NH, you are quite a dude.

Now let me try it out: "We are all spiralling into the clusterf*&^ of an oil-crazed economy based on over-extended credit and cartoon architecture." Nice.

prudence

Cyburbian
A true pioneer

To learn all about the development pioneer William Levitt...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Presenting Mr. E. P. Taylor - developer of Canada's first post-war auto-oriented suburb, Don Mills. Also horse breeder, racetrack owner, and brewery magnate...

nerudite

Cyburbian
I want my planning avatar to be this... one of the underground/turf roof houses of Village Homes in Davis, CA. This is my favorite subdivision in the US. If someone can get this down below 3k, I'd appreciate it... because I can't seem to do it. :(

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ohh got a link to those, maybe with some floor layouts etc? looks much like a house i designed back in highschool/college and everyone thought i was crazy!

nerudite

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
See if this works

Hmmm maybe that is a bit too small to see.
I'll use this for now and see if I can find close-ups of the house and/or another photo of the subdivision. Thanks jt! :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
It says the file is still too big... bummer. I'll try to find another photo...

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I know a couple of people that will figure out the identity of my new avatar...

Seabishop

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
I know a couple of people that will figure out the identity of my new avatar...
Is that your Ball State professor? Maybe years from now we'll be the avatars of young impressionable planners.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Michael Stumpf said:
I got mine.
What ... Rasputin?

I dare anyone here to use this avatar. C'mon ...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Not to post pad, but here's the missus. C'mon, PG ...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Dan said:

What ... Rasputin?

I dare anyone here to use this avatar. C'mon ...
Rasputin! Nyet!

This is none other than Louis Sullivan, father of the Prairie Style, mentor to Frank Lloyd Wright, and one of the most influential designers of early skyscrapers.