• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Administration / review / process Planning board member pay

AG74683

Cyburbian
All,

What do you pay your planning board members per meeting? I'm losing most of my long term members this coming year and we feel we might find it difficult to pull in new volunteers with our current pay rate (35.00 per meeting).

Thanks

Hink

OH....IO
We don't pay anything..... we reimburse them for their time, gas, etc. *wink, wink*

They get $25. We have a very difficult time finding volunteers as well.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
We pay them something like $25-35 per meeting, but it's an administrative waste of time in my opinion to pay anything.

The time I was on a Plan Commission we got paid nothing. I was considered volunteering for the community. Actually, in this muni, no appointed boards or commissions were paid.

I actually don't have much trouble getting volunteers. I've been putting it out to the community (social media, non-profit community dev orgs, etc) and get alot of interest/resumes.

Gedunker

Moderating
Our planning members get $50 per meeting attended and our zoning members get $75 per meeting attended. I've been trying to double both for a while, but that's one of the first places they cut when the state mandates a slimmer, trimmer budget. Someday.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We pay $25 a meeting and they get checks twice a year. This is the first place I've ever worked where they were paid. I don't have a problem with that modest amount. Some of our meetings are incredibly long and a few extra bucks for the annoyance and to maybe grab a quick dinner seems reasonable to me.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
$0. My department budget has some $ for education/training that they can utilize, but all land use board members in NH are strictly volunteer and cannot be paid.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
$0. My department budget has some $ for education/training that they can utilize, but all land use board members in NH are strictly volunteer and cannot be paid.
Yes, this

I worked somewhere where I got the Board members pizza for dinner if it was a long agenda and you would think I pulled a Manafort!

I think it's a New England thing to not pay

Tide

Cyburbian
9 members, $75 per meeting and we have two meetings a month. 1 - informational / informal and 1 - regular session. We collect taxes and give them a W-2 at the end of the year also. If they are part of the state retirement system that also will be taken out.

At a former location we paid $0.50 a mile to members.

Planning Board members earn $1,000 per year (Chair $1,200) and Zoning Board members earn $800 per year (Chair earns $1,000). They are paid twice a year. Each year at budget time I suggest that members be paid per meeting, but the current Town Board doesn't like that idea.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Every city I've worked for, the Commission/Board members were not paid. If it was an evening meeting, we'd have snacks, coffee, etc but no pay. We'd pay for training. I fully believe that they are volunteers that make recommendations, and that they are not a decision making body, and therefore should not be paid.
Two cities paid Council members, but that was because they met during the day and therefore took away from time at work. But the pay was low, and not really intended to be a salary.