• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

People Planning commissioner's retirement

bureaucrat#3

Not quite sure which board to put this on. We have a few Commissioners that are rolling off or stepping down from the Planning Commission. I haven't had any leave since Ive been here (4 years), but in the past the city had a plaque made.

Does your community do this? Any thoughts on a better memento or award?

Veloise

Cyburbian
My BZA term ended and they gave me a framed certificate. With a misspelled word.
They fixed it.

bureaucrat#3

My BZA term ended and they gave me a framed certificate. With a misspelled word.
They fixed it.
I once saw a mayor pause slightly when reading a declaration. He took a photo with the honoree, but wouldn't give them the framed copy at the meeting. "Public service" was misspelled in the worst possible way.

Tide

Cyburbian
We get a nice signed resolution on good paper and frame it. For long serving members (most of ours serve 8-12 years) a clock or similar type of engraved memento. They are mostly men on our board so the clock that is like a compass really is well received.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Ours get nothing. As the liaison to four boards, one could argue I should be the one to provide the mementos but shouldn't that be the job of the Mayor who appoints them?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We typically only recognize long serving members (think decades). But if any member should pass away, then we send a card and flowers to the spouse/family, regardless of length of service.

TOFB

Cyburbian
We typically only recognize long serving members (think decades). But if any member should pass away, then we send a card and flowers to the spouse/family, regardless of length of service.
We (I) dedicated our Comp Plan Update to a long term Commissioner who died.