• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Planning Director candidate lies about his education

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
New Planner withdraws his application

What's with this guy? His whining about vindictiveness after being caught in a bald-faced lie is, to say the least, annoying. I hope his "other option" is smart enough to deep-six his application.
Calaveras County is too vicious and vindictive for Eric Jay Toll, so he withdrew his name for consideration as its planning director.

"That wasn't the Calaveras County that I knew," Toll said Thursday.

Toll was hired two weeks ago under a cloud of controversy surrounding his education.

Toll resigned from a job in Los Alamos County, N.M., last month after only a month when it was discovered he doesn't have an urban planning degree he claimed from Sonoma State University.

The Los Alamos Human Resources director then checked into Toll's other degree on his résumé, from Southern Illinois University. She was told he didn't have one, Toll said.

Toll said not following up with his Sonoma State degree was "pure irresponsibility" on his part. He contends he does have a degree from Southern Illinois but no longer claims it on his résumé.

The Enterprise called Illinois twice and each time was told Toll did not have a degree.

Before taking the job in Los Alamos, Toll applied with Calaveras and listed both degrees on his résumé.

SGB

Cyburbian
I like the fact that the county did a thorough background check after they hired him.

Give those HR people a good hefty raise for job performance. :-c

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
"..he doesn't have an urban planning degree he claimed from Sonoma State University."

That's because the degree from SSU is in Environmental Studies and Planning...being a grad from there, I should know.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
SGB said:
Give those HR people a good hefty raise for job performance.
I applied for a senior planner position in Los Alamos County about eight months ago. I was more than qualified for the position, not to mention my familiarity with New Mexico planning laws and culture. Didn't even get the time of day from them. Guess I wasn't incompetent enough.

Is Eric Toll AICP?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Is Eric Toll AICP?
Interesting question. We have a local instance where somebody is claiming to have a certification (listed it in a bio). Four years ago, there were only three of us in the state with this certification. There are now fifteen, and the original three have been involved in the certification process of all of the new ones. This person is not one of them. Now we have to figure out how to deal with it.

Wulf9

At the director level, one would hope that a record of accomplishment is the factor in getting the job, and that the resume need not be padded.

parr11

Unfortunately, We in Mariposa County, California had Eric as our planning director for several years before we found out about his past. He then went on to Los Alamos then Calaveras County, all since the last six months. According the newspapers in the areas, questions on his education keep occurring. The Union Democrat -- a Calaveras County newspaper quoted this

" Yesterday, Toll said he was upset that his past had followed him to Calaveras County, where he began his career as a planner in 1980.

He's even received several "unpleasant" phone calls at home, he said.

"The level of controversy, the types of calls, supervisors constantly having to defend the choice they made, me having to constantly defend myself, it's just not fair to the board and it's not fair to me," Toll said. "

FYI