• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Planning Grad school and book recomm.

Thom

Hey, I recently decided to apply to several graduate planning programs and I just wanted to get some opinions on the following schools: Univ. of Colorado at Denver, Virginia Tech, University of Maryland, Univ. or Rhode Island, and Tufts.

Also, can someone recommend some books/authors dealing with the more theoretical aspects of urban planning, preferably concentrating on environmental issues?

One last question. Can someone give me an idea as to the different concentrations and schools that are currently operating in the planning world?

Thanks,
Thom

green22

Cyburbian
I'm sure you've heard of J Jacobs, "Life & Death of us cities" the classic urban planning book. It was written a long time ago, but if you haven't read it, it will give you many ideas of how to, and how not to alter a city, which are still useful today.

Thom

Thanks everyone! All of this has been very helpful. I'm glad I found this site.