Planning home office?

Is there anyone on here who runs a home-based, one-person planning consultant shop? I’ve been thinking for a while about starting something small on my own. I want to have more say in the type of projects I work on and the amount of time I devote to work as opposed to family and other pursuits. That said I feel like I have a few skills I need to develop before I could successfully win work (networking for sub-contracts is another thing), and so I wanted to ask some people about their experience. Can anyone lend a hand?

glutton

Cyburbian
Usually people do this after many years of either public or private sector planning, or as a temporary freelance gig until they find something permanent. How old are you/ what stage of career are you in? What kind of projects do you want to win?

Coragus

Cyburbian
I did this as a Realtor before my current gig. I loved it, but it does require a certain amount of self disciple or you'll find yourself down a social media hole until you realize it's lunchtime.

My biggest piece of advice is to enforce your personal life boundaries. If you can create a separate work area in your home, that would be ideal. Also, never meet a client at your home. Either visit their office or at a neutral site, like a coffee shop.