• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Planning home office?

munsonmunson

Is there anyone on here who runs a home-based, one-person planning consultant shop? I’ve been thinking for a while about starting something small on my own. I want to have more say in the type of projects I work on and the amount of time I devote to work as opposed to family and other pursuits. That said I feel like I have a few skills I need to develop before I could successfully win work (networking for sub-contracts is another thing), and so I wanted to ask some people about their experience. Can anyone lend a hand?

glutton

Cyburbian
Usually people do this after many years of either public or private sector planning, or as a temporary freelance gig until they find something permanent. How old are you/ what stage of career are you in? What kind of projects do you want to win?

Coragus

Cyburbian
I did this as a Realtor before my current gig. I loved it, but it does require a certain amount of self disciple or you'll find yourself down a social media hole until you realize it's lunchtime.

My biggest piece of advice is to enforce your personal life boundaries. If you can create a separate work area in your home, that would be ideal. Also, never meet a client at your home. Either visit their office or at a neutral site, like a coffee shop.