• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Planning Issues in Your Neck of the Woods

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
As a Project Planner in "The Big Easy" (N.O.), I am confronted with local planning issues and/or constraints (hot planning topics) which pose challenges when assessing land use and infrastructure developments and/or improvements. Even with numerous and often difficult challenges, I truly enjoy assisting with effective development and growth in New Orleans.

I'm sure that you are confronted with planning challenges in your community. Please indicate where you're located and please share the hot planning topics in your neck of the woods. What's up?

Thanks,
Big Easy King

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm in Central Florida, north of Orlando:

Development and/or an expressway in the Wekiva River Protection Area (in parts of 3 counties).

Development pressure in rural areas (yes, we still have some left!)

Development of student apartment complexes near the University of Central Florida

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Southeastern Wisconsin.

1) Light Rail for Milwaukee has been a hot topic for years, going on decades.

2) Locally, a 'downtown' brownfield redevelopment that hasnt got off the ground in over 5 years.

3) Coal fired Power plant construction in the community I live in. It's a necessary evil in my opinion.

4) Tax levy freezes.

SGB

Cyburbian
Southern Tier East of New York State:

1) Retention, expansion and recruitment of agriculture and agri-businesses

2) Infrastructure development (water, sewer, roads, natural gas, telecomm) to support business retention, expansion and recruitment efforts.

3) Training of local planning boards. (Procedural due process is a very weak point right now with many of our communities.)

4) Growing interest in non-motorized recreation trail development on public and private lands.

5) Revision of the county comprehensive plan.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Super Wal-Mart has been on the minds of a couple neighboring communities. One kept it out for good. The other has a moratorium in place, but may fail to follow through. Downtowns are getting a bit more attention.

donk

Cyburbian
Atlantic Canada

Coastal Issues
Water - quality and quantity
Infrastructure refurbishing and financing (roads, water lines, sewers)
Aggregate Extraction (pits and quarries near houses)
Forestry management
Factory farming
Aquaculture
Retail deveoplment - big boxes and dowtowns
Helping people realize it is 2003 not 1903 and that you can't subdivide any way you want anymore.

H

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I'm in Central Florida, north of Orlando:

Development of student apartment complexes near the University of Central Florida
My brother is in one there :)

jordanb

Cyburbian
Do you mean which projects the planners are focusing on because they have political backing, which projects should be built, or which projects will get built? ;)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
Do you mean which projects the planners are focusing on because they have political backing, which projects should be built, or which projects will get built? ;)
You can share any hot planning topic that's affecting your area and/or specifically affecting any development project(s) in your area.

H

Cyburbian
I want to share some projects so bad, but since I am with a consultant I don’t feel it appropriate to the client relationship. But I will say that they all pretty much deal with South Florida’s out of control population growth.

Example: housing, traffic, quality of life issues (parks), schools, econ development are big topics of concern I deal with; and in that order.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Huston said:
My brother is in one there :)
He needs to look out for the whacko who obsessively shows up at all the public hearings with stacks of print-outs from the Seminole and Orange County Sheriff's Offices re crime in student complexes. I won't be surprised if she goes postal or torches one of those places.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Let's see... where to start?

1) Controlling development adjacent to Big Lake and the Sturgeon River. I am currently reviewing a few area structure plans that would cover about 400 or so acres of uplands to one of the most significant migratory bird breeding gounds in Alberta. The number one issue right now though, is the City's recent approval of a highway bypass through wetlands adjacent to the lake (and, for the record, I had nothing to do with this).

2) Affordable housing is a huge concern here. St. Albert is an upper middle class community with a Council split on affordable housing. Right now the ruling majority are in favor of a 'pay for what you use' mentality, meaning no subsidization for anyone. As Alberta's enabling legislation does not permit such tools such as inclusionary zoning (unlike Ontario and BC), it looks like this City will not be providing any new affordable housing in the next several years (whenever a change of political climate on Council occurs).

3) Sprawl. Edmonton and "country residential" in Sturgeon County are closing in on St. Albert from two sides (which I might add is the densest city in Alberta... and I'm not talking about the IQ of the citizens ;) ).

4) Rapid growth. Over the past five years, the growth rate has been hovering around 2.5% per annum. With only three planners in a town of nearly 60,000, we are busy all the time, and we have not been able to dedicate as much time as we would like to many of the bigger issues (environmental quality, affordable housing, etc.).

5) Residential/Commercial balance. As a bedroom community we have 90% of our land dedicated to residential uses. We just can't attract the businesses, when Edmonton has so much money and incentives to throw their way. It makes for high residential taxes with not much other tax support. The City is now aiming to 'balance' the land uses to a 80/20 split.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Here in Columbus, Ohio

A proposed light rail system

A proposed cross-town road connection

Genera sprawl/downtown redevelopment kinds of issues