• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Planning n00bie

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmoore81

Hello,
I am new to the forums, and have enjoyed the posts that are out and about. I'm off to UCLA for a masters in Urban Planning this fall. Anyone around that knows the planning scene both on campus and in the city/region?

Brian

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome and greetings from
East of Wabash and North of the Ohio Rivers.

junkoplenty said:
Anyone around that knows the planning scene both on campus and in the city/region?
Sorry can't help you. :-$

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from southern Indiana. Best of luck at UCLA.

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome. I can't cast any light on the UCLA planning program except I think it's somewhere in the US.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the bottom of Lake Michigan - Chicago!!!

Michele Zone

BANNED
Welcome from Northern California. All I know about UCLA is that the air is unbreathable. 8-! (I was in Riverside 2 years ago for my Certificate in GIS. The smog really disagreed with me. :-# )

Good luck.

bmoore81

Heh Michelle, I saw that other post where you "went off" on southern california air quality. Unfortunately you are right, our air quality is not good. However 2 years ago while you were here (i literally mean here cause I attended UCR as an undergrad at that time through last winter, and I currently live down the street from campus) our air had improved dramatically, in spite of increased population and more cars on the road since the 80s. Unfortunately now with SUVs and further increases in population our air quality is worsening, yet still people want to live here 8-! I guess air quality is not a top priority for people moving out here. BTW Los Angeles has much better air quality than Riverside because wind patterns blow most of LA's smog into Riverside, which causes a bit of political tension in terms of regional planning.

Michele Zone

BANNED
Uh, yeah. If I "went off", that was probably when I was still a Druggie. :-D I am clean and sober these days and, usually, considerably toned down. :) I do know that L.A. had better air quality than Riverside, even while I was there. I used to live in Southern California -- out in the Mojave Desert -- and I just so happen to know some folks there. About a week before the end of GIS school, my sons and I attended a birthday party in, um, The Palisades?? Someplace upscale on the coast. It was blessed relief to get away from Riverside, where the smog was just terrible. It wasn't really THAT bad when I showed up. It changed about 3 weeks after I arrived. I think the sulfur content went up and sulfur allergy runs in the family. I don't have an official diagnosis but it is highly likely that I am allergic to sulfur. I was threatening to go into anaphylactic shock every time I left the building. That is why I was put on so many drugs that I only completed drug withdrawal about a month ago.

However, I will say this: I really like the college system in California generally. I have lived all over and I have taken college classes from about 9 colleges. Most of those are California colleges. I looked into attending school in every duty station we ever lived at. In some places I didn't take a single class because the college system so pathetically could not meet my needs. I completed my associate's within a year of moving to Cali and I have been in college (on and off) pretty much "ever since". I am about 6 classes short of my bachelor's and GIS school was graduate level work. And I plan on getting my Master's through USC (their Sacramento Center -- where the air is more breathable and the commute is only about 45 minutes from where I live now :) ). I did have some stuff on UCLA's website bookmarked at one time. I think it was their double major in something like social work and planning or economic development (something like that) which was one factor that helped lead me to consider a planning degree. Years ago, my goal was to go into social work.

Anyway, no offense intended. :) Just making chit-chat and the air quality is, unfortunately, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the L.A. basin. I suppose I am psychologically "scarred for life" on that topic. :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.