• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Planning on TV

jestes

Cyburbian
Last night I was watching a Seinfeld rerun called "The Van Buren Boys". There was a reference to George attempting to secure a scholarship for a guy looking to major in City Planning. I know that this has probably been covered here before but it was the first time that I saw it and thought it was pretty funny.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
jestes said:
Last night I was watching a Seinfeld rerun called "The Van Buren Boys". There was a reference to George attempting to secure a scholarship for a guy looking to major in City Planning. I know that this has probably been covered here before but it was the first time that I saw it and thought it was pretty funny.
It's a good thing Kramer 'knew' the secret signal for the Van Buren Boys.

The Irish One

His name was Steven Koren. Steven was George's choice because he wanted to be an Architect, then Steven saw the big picture and chose the superior profession, Urban Planner -which really ticked Georgee boy off -George got the scholarship taken away and it turns out that Steven is a Van B boy etc.....Great episode!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
If you want a printed copy of the episode script here it is:
http://www.stanthecaddy.com/the-van-buren-boys-script.html

GEORGE: Besides, Steven Koren has the highest of aspirations. He wants to be (pauses for effect) an architect.
WYCK: Is that right?
STEVEN: Actually, maybe I could set my sights a little bit higher.
GEORGE: (Laughs) Steven, nothing is higher than an architect.
STEVEN: I think I'd really like to be a city planner. (Sits down, addressing the entire foundation board) Why limit myself to just one building, when I can design a whole city?
WYCK: Well, that's a good point.
GEORGE: (Mutters) No, it's not.
STEVEN: Well, isn't an architect just an art school drop-out with a tilty desk, and a big ruler? (Laughs - so do the board members)
GEORGE: (Irritated) It's called a T-square.
WYCK: You know, the stupidest guy in my fraternity became an architect - after he flunked out of dental school! (Everyone but George laughs) Contratulations,
young man. (Shakes Steven's hand)
STEVEN: Thank you.

Doitnow

Cyburbian