• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Planning + Trump = ?

Okay guys, for better or worse we've got Trump. So now what does that mean for the planning profession? I sorta think of it like this: reduction in public sector planning, increase in private sector development jobs. But maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Means nothing to me as a rural NC planner. Most planning legislation comes from the states anyways, and Trump seems to want to start moving some federal government oversight out back to the states (education, environmental protection, etc.).

Raf

As Featured in "High Times"
Okay guys, for better or worse we've got Trump. So now what does that mean for the planning profession? I sorta think of it like this: reduction in public sector planning, increase in private sector development jobs. But maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?
This also means nothing in California. AB 32/SB 375 will continue to mandate GHG/VMT reduction. The State will continue pursuit of affordable housing. Likelihood federal transportation funds will be reduced, but this is made up by many "self-help" counties via transportation sales tax that pretty much funded roads, transit, etc. anyways and the high speed rail will be killed federal funding wise, but as long as the economy continues to grow (although tepidly) planning in this State will not be effected at all.

He wants to freeze federal hiring (except for safety/security personnel of course) so maybe don't plan on going after a planning job with a federal agency... unless you want to do NEPA work, since he's planning on increasing spending for the military and "rebuilding" military bases.

Every state goes its own way. CDBG/HOME either continues to stagnate as it has for 10+ years or is eliminated. TIGER grants are threatened.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
I expect to see much more money pumped into the highway trust fund (although it's anyone's guess where it will come from) with a different set of priorities for projects. I would not be surprised if this is coupled with a desire to reduce the overall funding that goes into transit projects in order to free up more money for highway building.

I think that some infrastructure programs will get funded however some other programs (like CDBG) might take a hit.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
If he was smart, he'd pump money into EDA, Rural Development, and SBA - as well as massive infrastructure projects -

He will likely ditch HUD as cities didn't vote for him and he's all about payback, so technically he should fund rural development since they voted for him

I'm thinking CDBG for infrastructure will still be funded but HOME will take a hit. I don't see this administration helping a few homeowners but infrastructure needs are probably safe. Maybe more private partnerships to find the roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk