• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Plans for the 4th

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Summerfest - On July 3rd

Brewer Game (even though they suck) on the 4th

Visiting an old college roomate I havent seen in 12 years on the 5th, and ho-ing around in Green Bay.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'll be drinking mass quantities of beer, eating ribs, and hanging out at my house with friends and animals. All in Arizona. I'm not sure if they'll have fireworks this year, they may cancel them since we're in a 5 year drought, one would think we'd always be in a drought considering we're in an arid climate.. but I digress. I'll be drinking beer.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'll be at work. My holiday was yesterday, eh?

MS - if you're in Philly and see a blinding flash of light, that's just Mike D's pasty-white legs. Try not to stare, you'll go blind ;)

carlomarx

Cyburbian
Moab or Telluride. Hot Hot Hot!

Beautiful, stark country. Makes me think of Jack Kerouac and Wile E. Coyote and Edward Abbey. No better way to spend the country's birthday.

tsc

Cyburbian
heading off on 2 week sailing voyage, Cayuga Lake to Erie Canal to Lake Ontarion and back again......poor me......

Repo Man

Cyburbian
3rd - Taking a 1/2 day, going to drink beer at the Milwaukee Ale House, then stumble over to Summerfest to drink more beer and watch the BoDeans and hopefully Wilco.

4th - Going to my girlfriends aunts house to drink beer and hang out on a lake

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
MS - if you're in Philly and see a blinding flash of light, that's just Mike D's pasty-white legs. Try not to stare, you'll go blind ;)

I was wondering what that pale glow from the city was... now I know. *and here I thought it was the vet.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Leaving work at lunch tomorrow so me and the fiance can catch a flight down to South Cacalackey. Plans are to spend the 4th hanging in the country with the folks and will then consume mass amounts of domestic beer (it is Independance Day after all) at a cook-out at my sisters house. I'll then spend all day Saturday on the lake eating burgers, sea-dooing, party barging and burning my pale white butt to a crisp...I can't wait.

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
For the 4th of July... nothing... :p
For the 18th of September...BBQ! :D Although the 18/9 isn't the independence day of Chile :p
The true day of independence is the 12th of Febuary of 1818, not the 18th of September of 1810. In 1810 we weren't even dreaming of being independant....:p

donk

Cyburbian
Like Tran i'll be working.

i spent Canada Day (July 1) recovering from teh drive home from Toronto.

Boy is Friday going to be a long day.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I'm going hiking and camping in NH's White Mountains later today and tomorrow. For the 4th, my college friends and I all get together at a friends place on the beach in Gloucester, Mass - then off to Cape Cod for the weekend.

Happy 4th everyone!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'll be out on Lake Pend Oreille on my new boat that I got only yesterday. I also have a tee time on Saturday. And of course, drink plenty of beer.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
A morning ride, and possibly an afternoon swim- although the pool will undoubtedly be packed.
Friday night I'll be at VP Fair on the Arch Grounds, watch some fireworks, staying at a hotel at Union Station for the night with friends. Should be a good time.

martini

Cyburbian
First and foremost: Drink Beer. Wife just back from Colorady and brought back a selection of New Belgium barley pops, plus I've got a 12er of New Glarus Spotted Cow Ale that we got from our trip to La Crosse a few weeks ago.

Secondly: a ride tomorrow with wife(got off work, yahoo!) 4th spending with my brothers family watching fireworks. 5th sitting on a Lake and drinking more beer. 6th probably just recovering from three days of revelry.

SGB

Cyburbian
ts corbitt said:
heading off on 2 week sailing voyage, Cayuga Lake to Erie Canal to Lake Ontarion and back again......poor me......

We will gladly welcome all of your downstate dollars in our neck of the proverbial woods.

Sounds like a fun trip!

BKM

Cyburbian
Sister's birthday tomorrow-so I'll probably take the day off :)

Not sure about the 4th itself. I really, really don't want to deal with the traffic, so I may stay home and walk four blocks to Vacaville's own hometown fireworks display.

I'll do a lot of bicycling and hiking, too, I hope.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
No plans for the Fourth, but on the 5th the Great Circus Train will be stopping in Whitewater on its annual trip around the state.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lets see

4th start out watching the dumb tourists on the mall roasting
sleeping in

party at friends high rise condo so we can see the fireworks better
fight traffic home

sat wash dogs and lay out
sunday outdoor concert at wolftrap to see the National Symphony Orch. with a cute date and a bottle of red (French of course)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
The way my life's been going lately, I don't know what I'm doing 2 minutes from now, let alone this weekend!

I hope to take Kylie to the fireworks on Friday, but I really have no clue what I'll be doing this weekend....

Mastiff

Gunfighter
They're having a festival at a county park.

Elvin Bishop and Average White Band are playing... I may go. Or I may sit in the hot tub, drink beer, and grill. (Not all at the same time)

The Irish One

Friday the 4th I wake up and ride or hike until 11:00 am when I go to work for a 12 hour shift. When I'm off I'll sleep.

Saturday the 5th I wake up extra early so I can get a ride in before I work @ 7:00 am. After 3:00pm I go for a hike and eat like the food whore I am.

Sunday The 6th I prepare for a mini Phish tour that begins on Monday in Phoenix, Arizona ends on Thursday in San Jose, Ca.

H

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
...domestic beer (it is Independance Day after all)...

And out of curiosity, what type of domestic beer does the South Carolina Kid (no disrespect) drink?

The wife and I keep our fridge stocked with High Life. It used to be PBR, but they don’t sell PBR around us here in Miami.

..but I also keep a few non-domestic Hoegardens in there as well. ;)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Thursday night we are going up to Battle Creek for their Field of Flight which is a week long hot air balloon festival and they also have an air show with the USAF Thunderbirds. Then watching the fireworks. I've never been there, so we'll see.

Friday Chad has to work (of course, it's a holiday), and I'm going to a party.

carlomarx

Cyburbian
"The Champagne of Beers"

Huston, I am in cahoots. My cerveza of choice is the High Life as well. Nothing like it. I like the taste, the label, and the motto: "The Champane of Beers".

As far as mainstream beer goes, High life takes the cake. But all in all, Fat Tire is unsurpassed. Anyone agree?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
Thursday night we are going up to Battle Creek for their Field of Flight which is a week long hot air balloon festival

If you see a balloon from Traverse City (big one that holds 12 people) my buddy from college is on the ground crew. His name is Matt. Tell him that I said his Jeep is Slow.

What kind of Beer is every one going to drink? I will be consuming more than a few Yuengling Lagers.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I like High Life, but if I had to pick a domestic beer to drink it would be Pabst Blue Ribbon.

donk

Cyburbian
Even though it is not a holiday here on thursday and Friday night I'll be drinking either Labatt 50 or Creemore Lager. Saturday night probably some of the garrison brews as I'll be in Halifax.

carlomarx

Cyburbian
New Belgium Brewing Company makes Fat Tire and Blue Paddle and a few others. Its new one, Windmill Wheat, celebrates the fact that they brew using all wind-generated energy. Get drunk on planet-healthy brew!

BTW, beer goes well with music. What's everyone listening to at the parties? Me, I've got a few hours of NOFX laid in, as well as some Willie Nelson and Weezer. What a great weekend.

Et tu, Brutes?

H

Cyburbian
Re: "The Champagne of Beers"

carlomarx said:
...Nothing like it. I like the taste, the label, and the motto: "The Champane of Beers"....

That would be pronounced “Chame-pag-neh” in redneckese, my brother;)

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Our neighborhood is throwing a big block party that I'm sure includes large amounts of beer. My buddy and I are in charge of the neighborhood fireworks show and get to shoot about $2,000 worth of explosives! Hmmmm... beer and fireworks... this could be a bad combo...

Happy 4th everybody!

And to all of you Canucks out there- Happy Canada Day!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Huston said:
And out of curiosity, what type of domestic beer does the South Carolina Kid (no disrespect) drink?

The wife and I keep our fridge stocked with High Life. It used to be PBR, but they don’t sell PBR around us here in Miami.

..but I also keep a few non-domestic Hoegardens in there as well. ;)

I've really taken a shine to Yuengling, my new favorite lager. The problem is that you can't find it south of Virginia so when I'm back down in the (864) I usually opt for Michelob Light. Truth is, I'll drink just about anything if I'm thirsty enough...except PBR, I've never developed a taste for it (no disrespect to your beverage of choice).

Oh, and no disrespect taken. SC Kid...Kinda catchy

H

Cyburbian
Yuengling story / rant

Okay quick Yuengling story / rant…

The other night I was at a bar and knocked back a few Hoegardens (@ an unknown 4.50 a pop) and at the end of the night when I was paying the ridiculous bill I say the sign that said “Yuengling special: $2”….man was I pissed.

Anyway, just to share. :(

kms

Cyburbian
I'm going to see a traveling Lewis and Clark exhibit at Friendship Hill, Albert Gallatin's home.