• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Plans for the Long Weekend?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Well this weekend is Victoria Day weekend and next weekend in Memorial Day in the States... anyone have any fun plans to share?

I just made reservations at Patricia Lake, in Jasper National Park. The weather will be mild but beautiful... I can't wait to get out of the flatlands! Whee!

donk

Cyburbian
My plans, if the weather cooperates

Saturday morning - hike and trail flagging for future construction
Saturday afternoon - 80 km road bike ride
Sunday Afternoon - mountain bike group ride -I'm the leader of the beginner -intermediate group of our club.
Monday - 80 km road ride

If the weather does not cooperate, I'll work on putting the trim around my windows.

And since this is may 2-4 weekend, I'll probably drink some beer.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm driving from Wisconsin to Utah tomorrow, for my annual dose of canyon hiking, then driving back home on Memorial Weekend. Two days later I leave for Oregon.

Yay! My first weekend trip since getting knocked up three months ago. We're going home to see my parents in Oswego. I haven't been on a car trip in ages. Looking very forward to it.

Tom R

Cyburbian
weekend

I was asked to donate blood platelets on Monday. I guess the red cross really runs low on holidays. As I didn't have anything special planned, I'm going to spend a couple of hours Monday morning with needles stuck in my arms. fun fun fun

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I wont be crossing paths with Stumphie...

I'm going the opposite direction - leaving Thursday morning on a Ft Lauderdale road trip with 2 friends, visiting a thrid that just bought a beachfront condo. I'll be back the following Tuesday.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Ice down a couple of 12-packs of Bud and heading for the lake. Fishing should be terrific.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
My birthday is on the holiday weekend-the big 30 so im sure i will find a fun way to enjoy

;-)

nerudite

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
My birthday is on the holiday weekend-the big 30 so im sure i will find a fun way to enjoy

;-)
Sweet! Now we have a whole week to prepare for the big 3-0! Mwahahaha.

el Guapo

Capitalist
EG cares

Saturday, I am going to breast feed Pediatric Aids Foundation and Make-a-Wish Foundation orphans, while I prepare vegan meals for the homeless on my solar stove. After that I'll go over and get type matched on my bone marrow for the children of environmental racisim. In the afternoon I'm going to read to blind hippies wounded in America's ongoing war against peace. Sunday, I'm going to help Martin Sheen clear landmine from Watts. Monday I think I'll vol some time down at the Green Party HQ. We are trying to save the rainforest if we can ever get the American voter to wake up! :)

In reality I plan to cook meat over fire, drink my own brew and shoot things.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We are going up north to Naubinway in the UP. Did plan on going drinking, canoeing, drinking some more, cooking out, drinking some more.

After my appt yesterday, I found out that I *won't* be drinking, but entirely ok with that :) but we'll need a new Name Game post.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SW MI Planner said:
After my appt yesterday, I found out that I *won't* be drinking, but entirely ok with that :) but we'll need a new Name Game post.
Are you saying.... that you're..... in the same "family way" as Downtown is?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
el Guapo said:
Congrats - BTurk aint the Daddy right? ;)
...I heard through the grape vine that SW was hangin' out with him in Denver after her S.O. left the bar.....

SW MI Planner said:
We are going up north to Naubinway in the UP. Did plan on going drinking, canoeing, drinking some more, cooking out, drinking some more.

YAY!!!! Pregos unite!!! Congrats, girl. When are you due? How are you feeling? Ok, I'll just PM you later.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Congratulations. Lots of baby makin' 'round these parts, eh?

As for weekend plans I will be biking in Southwestern Wisconsin (New Glarus) this weekend. Next weekend I will be in Madison, WI then back to Milwaukee for a Baseball game.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I'm hiking up in Maine this weekend to explore some icy caves. Then next weekend I have yet another wedding of college friends. Good part is that they become fun little reunions.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Seems to me a new clube is developing around here.
Yah, I can't get to the 1000 clube, so I went with this one :)

Thanks everyone! We've been trying, but it was completely unexpected!!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Chet said:
...I heard through the grape vine that SW was hangin' out with him in Denver after her S.O. left the bar.....
OMG... I hung out with SW in Denver after everyone left... you don't think it's mine do you? ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Congratulations, SW! As long as you won't be drinking it, can I have your beer?

jmf

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I'm voting for Tex or G.R.I.T.S. Should we start a pool?
As long as its not me! If anyone else announces they are preggers I am going to have to blame Cyburbia and I won't come back! Don't get me worng I like kids - just other peoples - I can give them back!

Jeff

Cyburbian
....just sitting around waiting for the baby to come out and play. Can't really make any plans until then.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I'm dog-sitting over the weekend.

I'm also doing Habitat for Humanity all day tomorrow! :)

I'll also be seeing if I can get some.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
jmf said:
As long as its not me! If anyone else announces they are preggers I am going to have to blame Cyburbia and I won't come back! Don't get me worng I like kids - just other peoples - I can give them back!
Here, here. Of course, hubby cut the pipes, so to speak, so I don't have to worry about getting prego anymore.

I'll be in Nova Scotia for the long weekend (and then some). I can't wait. I need a vacation so badly!!!!!

jmf

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
I'll be in Nova Scotia for the long weekend (and then some). I can't wait. I need a vacation so badly!!!!!
Hope you have a great weekend. the weather here has been very cold but it is supposed to be very nice this weekend and hopefully will continue for the next few weeks!

I can't think of any really neat things on in NS right now, things really get going after July 1 but it defeinitely won't be crowded here!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hey jmf... isn't the Annapolis Valley apple blossom festival on soon? I think it's at the end of May, but I don't know which weekend. Are the trees in bloom yet there? Maybe even a trip to see all the orchards in bloom would be a nice day trip from Halifax for Mud Princess.

jmf

Cyburbian
Aple Blossom is the weekend of May 30th. The trees aren't in bloom yet but a day trip to Windsor, Wolfville, Kentville is always nice and only about 1 hour on the highway from Halifax.

nerudite

Cyburbian
jmf said:
The trees aren't in bloom yet
Well, maybe that will bode well for me... I'm coming into town on June 25 and it would be sweet if the orchards are still all bloomy. I love the smell and look of orchards during the spring.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
jmf said:
Aple Blossom is the weekend of May 30th. The trees aren't in bloom yet but a day trip to Windsor, Wolfville, Kentville is always nice and only about 1 hour on the highway from Halifax.
I'll be in Wolfville for a few days towards the end of our trip, but will be gone before the Apple Blossom Festival. I guess we'll miss the crowds, though.

Any other recommendations? Things to do outdoors and good restaurants and pubs especially.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Yay! for the other preggos who are going on a long weekend with their spouses. Unfortunately, my husband will be out of town for work and this will be our last long weekend without any wee ones around. I am just going to hang out in the NoVa/DC area with the dog. This is will be the perfect time to read as much as I can without any interruptions.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi, welcome back.

You must meet some Cyburbanites in the DC area. Unfortunately, I don't know any....

You're about to explode, huh???

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Zoning Goddess said:
You're about to explode, huh???
There! Didn't I say these things happen in threes?! Congrats Trail Nazi.

BTW NHPlanner - I'll do my best to impregnate 2 other cyburbanites for you...

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Chet said:
BTW NHPlanner - I'll do my best to impregnate 2 other cyburbanites for you...
Huh??

I'm lost....did I miss something while I was gone at the charrette the last 3 days? (besides SW's pregnancy, which I am aware of....)

donk

Cyburbian
I had to come into the ofice today, I had a nagging feeling that something I needed to have done for tomorrow was not complete, and I was right..

I will be heading out for my 4th big ride in 4 days(should be at 250 miles for the weekend after today) though at 1:00, when my riding group gets out of surgery ( I ride with 2 doctors who got called in)

Trail Nazi said:
Yay! for the other preggos who are going on a long weekend with their spouses. Unfortunately, my husband will be out of town for work and this will be our last long weekend without any wee ones around. I am just going to hang out in the NoVa/DC area with the dog. This is will be the perfect time to read as much as I can without any interruptions.
Yay! Welcome to the clube. When are you due?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
NHPlanner said:
Huh??

I'm lost....did I miss something while I was gone at the charrette the last 3 days? (besides SW's pregnancy, which I am aware of....)
I said before these things come in threes. Right now its SW, Downtown, and Trail Nazi.

Here's to Mary Poppins making the next round!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Yay! Welcome to the clube. When are you due?
Thanks Chet and Downtown. As the Zoning Goddess mentioned, I am due pretty soon, July 20th. Maybe I will turn my long weekend into decorating the baby's room with a transportation theme - a baby transportation planner, You can never start the training too soon.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This was my first 4 hours in Ft Lauderdale this weekend...

All I could do is laugh. And take another sip of my cocktail, of course. And another, sip, and another sip, well you get the picture....