• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Plans for the Xmas break?

JNL

Cyburbian
Apart from eating too much, anyone got any exciting activities planned for the Christmas break?

I'm not going away unless I have some last minute change of plans, so I'm going to try out some outdoor activities around my city. I'm really keen to try sea-kayaking (have done river and lake before but not sea) and maybe some abseiling, also want to walk some bush tracks that I've heard are pretty good. There's a few beaches within an hour's drive I haven't checked out either (it's summer here). Hey I don't need to go away, there's lots to do here!

Habanero

Cyburbian
What's Christmas break? Since I'm a new employee I dont' get vacation yet, just Christmas day off. I think we're going to re-stain the kitchen cabinets or repaint the master bathroom.

JNL

Cyburbian
I get two weeks off - we close this Friday and reopen on Jan 6th. Public hols are 25th, 26th, Jan 1st and 2nd, and then we use 5 days' annual leave for the rest of the time. It seems such a luxury after working right through in my old job!

nerudite

Cyburbian
This Wednesday is my last day at work until January 6th. Even though I've only been here less than a year, I have a bunch of vacation to burn. We get three weeks a year, right off the bat... and since we have every other friday off mandatory, I have a bunch of free time.

My b.f.'s mum is coming out for two weeks... so I'll be playing tour guide. Since I don't know Edmonton that well, I'll get to learn it a little more in the process. I've never met his mum... so it ought to be an experience (hopefully a good one)!

JNL

Cyburbian
Yep that's another thing I'll be doing too - meeting the new b/f's family. His Mum keeps asking when she'll get to meet me. Might go there on Xmas day - eek!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
No big plans here we only get christmas day off and i dont have anything by the way of family to go see (that i can get to and back in one day) im gonna sit home with the bf and debate 1st amendment rights, war policy and maybe rent some DVD's

yes i know action packed eh?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I'm off 24-29. I'm doing the family thing with my mom and doing a Christmas Bird Count on the 27th. Not much else in the works.

JNL

Cyburbian
What's a Christmas Bird Count giff?

I'll be doing the Christmas lunch thing with my parents and sisters. Am looking forward to roast chicken and potatoes and assorted veges yummmmm! One of my sisters is leaving in January to work as a nanny in London so it might be the last time we have all the family together for Christmas for a while.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Friday nite, taking my mom and child to Disney World for "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party" (fake snow and all). My son has been bugging me to get a bike rack and take our bikes to one of our county's trails, so I guess we'll do that one day. My family's right here, so we don't have to travel, thank god.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nope ... nothing. Today was the first day at the new job, I have no vacation time, and most of the other planners are taking off.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
wow i had forgotten the bird count!

its by the Audobun (sp?) society where folks fan out and go count birds

great fun when i lived in the jungle

PG

donk

Cyburbian
I'll be taking the time between the 24th and New Years off, plus a few recoverey days. I'll return to work on the 6th of January.
Going to do some serious drinking with friends.
Maybe a little cross country skiing, if the tracks get set.
I still have a whack of vacation time and time owed to use up.

Glomer

I'm heading to Jamaica with my wifes side of the family!!!! It will be great to get away from this crappy weather.

jmf

Cyburbian
I am off from the 24th to the 2nd. Not bad, but a lot of offices here are closed between xmas and New Years, some staff have to use vacation others not.

I am sticking close to home, was hoping to go see some friends in NB but that looks unlikely now.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm taking the Monday and Tuesday off before Christmas and heading up with my wife to see her family. Those are my last two vacation days, so I'll be back in the office on the 27th (we get the 26th off - haven't you 'mericans heard of Boxing Day?).

It's good to know that there will be a few other cyburbanites around!

My brother flies in tomorrow morning from LA (he's in for a nasty shock - 12 degrees here) and then I'm taking Wed. - Friday. As the low planner on the totem pole, I'm here next week, except when the office is closed the afternoon of the 24th and then all day 25.

I'm actually really really excited for tomorrow - I'm one of those people that never grows out of the childish habit of waking up early and often when exciting events are drawing near. Its like "Is it time to get up yet? Is it time to get up yet?" He hasn't been home since last Christmas, so I think its been long enough that he's really homesick, and misses us all dreadfully and will be especially nice to us (some people never grow out of "Bratty Brother" syndrome).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
No real plans for the holiday itself, but it looks like New Years Eve is going to be spent in Chicago seeing the Goo Goo Dolls at the House of Blues.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Well I took off the Thurs and Friday after Christmas but have so much work to do over the holidays that I may come in anyway....sucks :(

Dec. 25th and 26th are office holidays. I'm taking the rest of the week all the way through Jan. 6th off. Since my boyfriend has the same days off, we might take a quick drive to the Gulf Shores in Alabama or the Gulf Coast in Mississippi.

JNL

Cyburbian
Very cool.

"From feeder-watchers and field observers to count compilers and regional editors, everyone who takes part in the Christmas Bird Count does it for love of birds and the excitement of friendly competition -- and with the knowledge that their efforts are making a difference for science and bird conservation. "

SGB

Cyburbian
Like TexasPlanner and Dan, I too have little time to take since I'm still the "new guy" here. I get all of two days in addition to Xmas (one of which is comp time).

Meanwhile, my wife & son will be enjoying a vacation with family while I work both Monday and Friday of the holiday week.

I'll basically be traveling back and forth between home, work & family all of that week.

If weather cooperates, I hope to at least get to drive east/west through the Adirondacks on one of the trips.

SGB said:

If weather cooperates, I hope to at least get to drive east/west through the Adirondacks on one of the trips.
Saranac Lake and Lake Placid are so beautiful this time of year.

prudence

Cyburbian
A little ankle surgery on the 23rd...then sitting on my arse until the 6th...

Can someone explain why I am still going to the gym though?? It really seems futile.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol wanna look good for the nurse in your backless gown?

hey i had some surgery a few years ago and i went nuts getting the flatest tummy around and the softest skin-dont ask me why but i did

SGB

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

Saranac Lake and Lake Placid are so beautiful this time of year.
They certainly are. I'll be driving across south of there - probably through Speculator and North Creek. More scenic, less populated, and much less traffic.

donk

Cyburbian
the reason you keep going to teh gym is to shorten the recovery time and strengthen teh area to be operated on.

I ended up having emergency surgery last february and am still working at getting fitness, strength and flexibility back. If I had known before hand I would have worked out a pre surgery work out plan and a post surgery work out plan to aid in healing and recovery.

prudence

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
lol wanna look good for the nurse in your backless gown?

hey i had some surgery a few years ago and i went nuts getting the flatest tummy around and the softest skin-dont ask me why but i did
This is surgery #5...it is a result of years of abuse from playing soccer.

Can anyone explain to me why you can't wear underwear into the operating room? I don't care if I have the cutest arse in the world (and I just might), I don't want it hanging out of a bedsheet in a 60-degree room full of people I don't know. It's not on display. It isn't art. Besides, I have no idea what's going on when I sleep...and we all know what happens when men wake up after sleeping.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
rules for surgery

1) dont do total-go for local or spinal much easier on your body and nerves (much easier recovery too)
2) be ready to freeze your nude body off
3) be ready to wake up with the little thing they have yuo wear-GONE never mind they did not slice anywhere near your body.

that got me into the whole im not being nocked out kick.

and yes soccer sucks-they wanna rebuild both my knees, im not going till i cant walk

good luck and wish you the best

anyone know WHY they say no undies?

prudence

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

Are we talking Diego Maradonna-type abuse here?
No...nothing illicit. Believe it or not, I have never tried "drugs." I will drink a'plenty, but never drugs.

I was not an intelligent athlete when I was younger...meaning through college. If I could walk I could play. I destroyed a lot of ligaments, tendons, and cartilege. I have pushed my body to the limits over the years, resulting in a knee reconstruction, a knee tune-up, and two ankle fixes (stitch the ligaments together so the joing is stable) to date. So, #5 next week.

And why can't I wear underwear in the operating room? The table is very cold...I am forever fearful of shrinkage in front of the nurses...

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
prudence said:

The table is very cold...I am forever fearful of shrinkage in front of the nurses...
Try getting a vasectomy some time.

PlannerGirl said:
ive always wanted to watch one of those
I saw one on that show the "Operation" that used to come on TLC. It was quite.......interesting (for lack of a better term).

prudence

Cyburbian
Planderella said:

I saw one on that show the "Operation" that used to come on TLC. It was quite.......interesting (for lack of a better term).
I missed that one on the board game. I always had trouble removing the funny bone.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
prudence said:
Can anyone explain to me why you can't wear underwear into the operating room?
Because nothing comes between you and your Calvins:

Dr. Calvin Metcalf and Dr. Calvin Schreiberhousen

el Guapo

Capitalist
Tranplanner said:
(we get the 26th off - haven't you 'mericans heard of Boxing Day?
Boxing Day - Is that named after what happens immediately after the Airing of Grievances? ;)

Happy Festivus All.

Prudence - Simple - it is a control thing. Dr's are sadistic.

donk

Cyburbian
The reason you probably don't wearunder wear is that when they put you full under you may not have emptied your bowels / bladder, even though you have not eaten for 24 hours. Just a theory.

Having had a surgery more invasive then a vasectomy, (kidney stone removal with a scope and basket) with a whole room of people looking and manipulating below the belt there is not much that would embarass me now.

A Dr. friend of mine, who is an anethesiologist, was telling me about his vasectomy and how he wanted to not have it done locally as he works with all of the nurses, but before he was to have it he had to do assist a hysterectomy on one nurse and a tubal ligation on another, he lost his shyness.

pandersen

Cyburbian
X-MAS PLANS

Me:
I'm heading back to the folks place outside of Guelph, Ontario. I will be gone from the office from the 21st of december to January 6.

I hope to fee all my old friends and family, and may even risk a trip across the border into Michigan to get together with my old workmates from my previous job. Not really looking forward to the drive or the Border crossing, though.

Oh yeah, did I mention that for the past few weeks dear old mum has been providing me updates on the status of our chainsaw (being tuned-up at a small engine repair shop). From her less than subtle hints, I take it that I'm expected to do a bit of logging when home. I guess we have a few tree in the lane of the family farm that are in danger of coming down and blocking the driveway (already been there, done that).

Oh well, at least I'll be heading east just in time to avoid the 30 cm of snow that is expected to be dumped out here in Manitoba over the next day or so.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'll be one of the few still working around Christmas time. I've always taken time off around Christmas in the past, but for once I don't have any real traveling to do this year, so I'll be here other than Christmas Day and New Year's Day. I think we might close early on the Eves...but I'm not sure.