• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Please allow me to introduce myself...

PommiePaul

Hi
I work at Griffith University in Queensland, Australia and am currently working from my shed on Tamborine Mountain, where I live. I have the privilege of serving as the Director of the Cities Research Institute:

www.griffith.edu.au/cities-research-institute

and we cover everything from new building materials, travel behaviour change, social housing and green infrastructure through to metropolitan governance, modelling land-use changes and the emergence of SeaCities.
Of course, at the moment we're moving virtually everything online, from teaching and learning to all meetings.
It's interesting to see that our State government, responsible for planning legislation and policy framework, has introduced emergency measures to extend timeframes for development assessment, remove conditions that stop supermarkets stocking around the clock and granting temporary-use licences to allow business innovation in the face of COVD threats. Commendable, but it will be interesting to see the discussions about returning to 'normal' at some point in the future or learning to live with and even love the 'new normal'.
Cheers
Paul Burton
@PommiePaulyB

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from the North shore of the Ohio in the Central Time Zone.