• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Please Take A Moment To Reflect

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Today is the 25th anniversary of the death of "The King"

Please put down your scales and your Zoning Codes for a minute and pause to remember the man that gave us many good songs, some horrible movies, and a bunch of lousy impersonators.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Attachments

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I was ten years olf when Elvis died in 1977

I was in the front seat of my Dad's 1976 Plymouth Fury, on the way back to Buffalo from a weekend getaway in Toronto with my parents. You know ... Science Center, Ontario Place, the then-new Eaton Centre. We were on the QEW, probably halfway between Toronto and Hamilton -- Oakville, probably -- when the news broke on WGR.

The Fury had an AM-only radio. At the time, rock was still common on AM radio; WGR and WKBW played a mix of oldies and what would now be considered "classic rock." The rest of the day, the two stations played nothing but Elvis. My parents, whose musical tastes matured just a few years before Elvis hit the scene, didn't quite get it.