• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Poor Richard's for Planners

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I am thinking about putting together a planner's equivalent of Ben Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanac, with all its pithy sayings. A stitch in time saves nine. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Etc, etc.

Do any cyburbanites have a favorite saying or aphorism that they apply in planning practice?

donk

Cyburbian
My least favourite is

"It's my land I'll do what I want on it."

Hear it at least once a day.

Here are a few I like

"Sh*t flows downhill" the only civil engineering I know.

From Deuteronomy 19:14 "You must not move your neighbor's boundary marker, set up by former generations, on the property that will be allotted to you in the land that the Lord your G-d is giving you to possess."

"I was in the war and killed better men than you." Used on one of our inspectors.

SGB

Cyburbian
Will a portion of any proceeds be generously donated to the Cyburbia.org Bandwidth Preservation Fund?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Not exactly Poor Richard's level, but yesterday at a Planning Commission meeting this old guy called me a "necktie wearing c**ksucker!" All these people gasped when he said it and I just cracked up. We're still laughing about it this morning.

donk

Cyburbian
MD Planner said:
Not exactly Poor Richard's level, but yesterday at a Planning Commission meeting this old guy called me a "necktie wearing c**ksucker!" All these people gasped when he said it and I just cracked up. We're still laughing about it this morning.
I was at a public hearing, in a very rural part of the province, when a guy got up and said, "You know the problem here tonight? There are too many people wearing ties".

Except for going to court, I've never worn a tie to work since then.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Revising the billboard section of our code, the room was filled with no fewer than 30 suits. The chairman announced that all the suits in favor of the amendment should move to the left side of the room, all opposed to the right. Dutifully, suits stand and move to their assigned places. The chairman then quietly stated "any suit who can think for himself should come forward". The room was immediately still and silent. Until I started cracking up :-D

SGB

Cyburbian
On writing and interpreting local laws:
The Devil is in the definitions.