• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Pop vs. Soda

bubbles

well like most Canadians I call it pop.

although when ordering a pop of the cola variety I simply say cola because I really don't care if it is Coke of Pepsi but most places only sell one or the other.

wow for that non-witty nor entertaining post

H

Cyburbian
Rich Townsend said:
I thought in the deep south it was "RC"

Well since Coke, RC and Pepsi are all from the deep south it just all depends on your local. :-}

Rem

Cyburbian
Around here it is called 'soft drink'. I started life in a rural area where it was called cordial. Cordial is really the concentrate that you mix with water to make a sugary, flavoured uncoarbonated drink, also known as make-up. If you're pre-teen and move the the City, you learn the difference quickly.

Cola drinks often get called Coke regardless of their brand.

Pop is your grandfather.
Soda is soda water (unflavoured, carbonated water).

Hceux

Cyburbian
Pop versus Soda

I think I remember how there was a thread or two before about what noun do you Cyburbians use to describe beverages like Pepsi, Coca-Cola, and the like. Well, I came across this interesting website from a free newspaper that I occasionally pick up in Toronto, ON.

Here's the website: http://popvssoda.com/

There's a map that shows the origins of where people grew up and potentially got their English dialect in North America and what noun word did people use. So this study is using a geographical angle, which I thought may interest some of you Cyburbians.

By the way, there's an online survey for you to fill if you feel like contributing to the study.

dobopoq

Cyburbian
I don't like soda - yep, that's how they say it in BosWash.

Cool map features. The county map shows California, Vegas and Phoenix, the Northeast, Chicago and Milwaukee, and the St. Louis areas are clear soda country. Pop rolls from the Rustbelt/Upper Midwest States across the Plain States, the Rockies, over to the Pacific Northwest. Coke is clearly Dixie with some of Mex-America.

With this Soft-Drink thing finally figured out now, I think were ready to tackle the real tough issues like: Paper or Plastic? and On the side, or On top?

It would be neat to see the county map for Pro Choice or Pro Life on Abortion.

ICT/316

Cyburbian
Every one says “pop” around the area,( Wichita/ KS) but I say, “Soda” to get a reaction (F.ing rebel!!!)!:-D

Bill

“I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. You're just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of us. It's science.”

- Ron Burgundy

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Wait a minute...whoever said Chicago says "soda" better look again. When someone says soda around here, they will definitely get funny looks. And they deserve it!! ;)

But it is very strange that Milwuakee and St. Louis are so caught up with "soda" when almost all the rest of the Midwest says "pop"

ICT/316 said:
Every one says “pop” around the area,( Wichita/ KS) but I say, “Soda” to get a reaction (F.ing rebel!!!)!:-D

I'm the exact opposite here in Baltimore. I will continue to say pop. I think that if I keep saying it, I won't lose my Midwestern heritage.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
How it works in Texas:

Waiter: What would you like to drink?
Me, or any other Texan: coke.
Waiter: What kind?
Me, or any other Texan: Dr. Pepper, Sprite, etc.

jordanb

Cyburbian
illinoisplanner said:
Wait a minute...whoever said Chicago says "soda" better look again. When someone says soda around here, they will definitely get funny looks. And they deserve it!! ;)

Maybe in your suburb, but here in the city, "pop" plays a distant second fiddle to "soda." In Springfield (where I grew up), everyone says "soda" too. I've always seen "pop" as being a Michigan/Wisconsin thing.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
Maybe in your suburb, but here in the city, "pop" plays a distant second fiddle to "soda." In Springfield (where I grew up), everyone says "soda" too. I've always seen "pop" as being a Michigan/Wisconsin thing.

Look at the county map. I think it's right on target. Wisconsin people are famous for saying soda. It also shows a line from LaSalle-Peru down to St. Louis as being "soda" country. Cook and Lake are a lighter shade of blue (pop) and I don't know why, but they are still predominantly "pop". But as a whole, the Chicago metropolitan area is clearly the land of POP. Pop rules Chicago!

Last edited:

The One

Cyburbian
Ok.....

Its POP....NOT SODA.....

end of thread....mods, please close this thread now that this issue has been decided....;)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The One said:
Its POP....NOT SODA.....

end of thread....mods, please close this thread now that this issue has been decided....;)
Wrongo. I have the last word. It's called "soda." Do I have to come down there and beyotch slap you? ;) :-$ :a:

boiker

Cyburbian
Growing up in southern LaSalle County, Illinois... it was POP. Of course my Grandpa and Dad were born in South Dakota, where POP dominates.

In Peoria, it's plainly soda, except for my defiance.

transformer

Growing up iin upstate New York it was soda. On my first trip to Indiana I stopped at a Burger King and asked for a soda, and I do believe the person behind the counter thought I was from another planet. Here in Cincinnati it is definitely Pop. Soda is Pop with ice cream in it.

btrage

Cyburbian
Michigan

Michigan for the most part is a "pop" state. I find myself saying "soda" once in awhile. When you order a soda at a restaurant, you call it by its name.

The One

Cyburbian
Oh No.....

RichmondJake said:
Wrongo. I have the last word. It's called "soda." Do I have to come down there and beyotch slap you? ;) :-$ :a:

And thus, this is how the Pop vs. Soda war began.....a long dark time in the history of the United States, where random states and counties within states clashed in bloody battles over this "most" important of issues....:D :-c :r: The battle was everywhere, much worse than the civil war in scale:-( .......

Can you tell I'm gearing up to write my sci-fi novel?;)

Come on down and I'll buy you a :eek:| "SODA" :eek:|

;)

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
The One said:
And thus, this is how the Pop vs. Soda war began.....a long dark time in the history of the United States, where random states and counties within states clashed in bloody battles over this "most" important of issues....:D :-c :r: The battle was everywhere, much worse than the civil war in scale:-( .......

Can you tell I'm gearing up to write my sci-fi novel?;)

Come on down and I'll buy you a :eek:| "SODA" :eek:|

;)

Hahaha...that's so funny. And yet so true.

Chicago vs. St. Louis
Wisconsin vs. Michigan
Califronia vs. Pacific Northwest
Northeast vs. Midwest
The South (coke) vs. Everyone

what a bloody battle this could be...:-c

BeansandCod

Cyburbian
transformer said:
Soda is Pop with ice cream in it.[/QUOTE]

Um, that would be a float. BTW: in Boston we still call it tonic. I'm not that old and it still lives on. Also, Milk with flavoring is a milkshake; with ice cream it's a frappe.
Water comes from the 'bubbla', although now it's the 'coola' - bottled water that's delivered.

I recall a visit to cousins in Maumee, OH and being asked if I wanted a pop. I just stared at my relatives until someone could translate.... "A what?" and even then it was because they said 'paaaaaap'.

The One

Cyburbian
Bleechh!!

BeansandCod said:
transformer said:
Soda is Pop with ice cream in it.[/QUOTE]

Um, that would be a float. BTW: in Boston we still call it tonic. I'm not that old and it still lives on. Also, Milk with flavoring is a milkshake; with ice cream it's a frappe.
Water comes from the 'bubbla', although now it's the 'coola' - bottled water that's delivered.

I recall a visit to cousins in Maumee, OH and being asked if I wanted a pop. I just stared at my relatives until someone could translate.... "A what?" and even then it was because they said 'paaaaaap'.

You ever try to drink "TONIC" water....nasty....:victory: +o(

BeansandCod

Cyburbian
jmf said:
You obviously didn't add enough gin!

Actually, I love tonic water all by itself! It's just the sugar content that is up the wazzoo! The diet version is OK - as long as it's Schweppes!

Man With a Plan

Cyburbian
Tonic

is what we call it in the non-gentrified sections of Boston and its streetcar suburbs. Once outside of 128 it's a free for all.

jringel

Cyburbian
My wife to be is from Milwaukee and is always asking for a soda! I find pop a far more appropriate term. The can doesn't say soda when it opens it goes "POP". Everytime someone says soda I think of a soda shop from the 1950s or some sort of flavored mineral water.

When my mom went off to college in the 70s she asked her roommate she had just met if she wanted a pop. The roommate was from Boston and thought my mom asked if she wanted POT! She ran screaming out of the room and my mom couldn't figure out what she had said wrong.:D Needless to say, they had a good laugh about it later.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
transformer said:
Growing up iin upstate New York it was soda. On my first trip to Indiana I stopped at a Burger King and asked for a soda, and I do believe the person behind the counter thought I was from another planet. Here in Cincinnati it is definitely Pop. Soda is Pop with ice cream in it.

In Western NY its POP.

What's this upstate you speak of? Is it the milk brand?;)