• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Population Policy: A billion here, a billion there...

I just sort of skimmed the article, but, yeah, the short answer is 'educate and empower women'. Women who have real say in their lives choose to have fewer children. Cultures where reproductive decisions lie in the hands of the husband -- or anyone other than the woman who will bear and raise the kids -- have higher birth rates. That is a statistical fact. I will, at least for now, spare you my endless personal observations and opinions concerning this matter.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
A childhood friend of mine who grew up to be an architect always suggested two ways to control over-population: regular release of predators in urban areas, and unannounced suspension of all traffic laws for a period of 24 hours. ;-)

Empowerment + Education + Economic Opportunity = population control.

Jeff

Cyburbian
World population always seems to keep itself in check, read: AIDS, Plague, Black Death, etc.

I wonder what new disease we'll face in the upcoming generations.

The Irish One said:
give women an education and the opportunity to use it

Worked for me.

Salliemae is definitely controlling the future population of little Downtowns - Our combined educational debt is prohibitive of affording to have more than two children in daycare at once. :)

Wulf9

Reproduction has fallen below replacement levels in many countries with high level of education and income (mainly western Europe & Japan). There aren't enough young people to support the retirement system, so people will have to work far beyond retirement age.

Pretty soon, shopping anywhere in Europe will be like shopping in Wal Mart.

The U.S. has avoided as severe a codgerization trend because of immigration and large families born to recent immigrants.