• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Portland and the growth boundaries

wagner37

Hi I was wondering if anybody could give me some ideas where to look for info on urban growth boundaries and portland, also with a bit of a twist showing and identifying the chain/structure of the political power that is Oregon, from city to state levels. Ive already looked at the state website and gotten most everything I need from there, curious if anybody had any good reports books, websites, etc that I can look at. Im working on a project studying how UGB's work in Oregon, I had to put the govt. twist in there so I dont have to take a silly class, isnt this a better choice?

japrovo

Recommended reading list

Impact of UGBs/smart growth policy:

Nelson, Arthur and Rolf Pendall, Casey Dawkins and Gerritt Knapp (2002). The Link Between Growth Management and Affordability: The Academic Evidence. Washington: Brookings. (available on-line at www.brookings.edu)

Downs, Anthony (2002). Have Housing Prices Risen Faster in Portland than Elsewhere? Housing Policy Debate. 13:1,7(26).
Fischel, William (2002). Comment on Anthony Downs: “Have Housing Prices Risen Faster in Portland than Elsewhere?” Housing Policy Debate. 13:1,43(8).
(Both available on-line at www.knowledgeplex.org)

Defining/operationalizing density/sprawl
Lang, Robert (2002). Open Spaces Bounded Places: Does the American West's Arid Landscape Yield Dense Metropolitan Growth? Housing Policy Debate, 13:4, 755 (24).
Galester G., Hanson R., et al (2001). Wrestling sprawl to the ground: defining and measuring an elusive concept. Housing Policy Debate, 12:4,681(37).
(Both available on-line at www.knowledgeplex.org)

And three very different takes on the politics:

Fishman, Robert (2000) The Death and Life of American Regional Planning. In Reflections on Regionalism. p107-126. Bruce Katz (Ed.) Washington: Brookings.

Leo, Christopher (1998). Regional Growth Management Regime: The Case of Portland, Oregon. Journal of Urban Affairs. 20:4,363(32).

Lewis, Paul (1996). Shaping Suburbia: How Political Institutions Organize Urban Development. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press.