• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Portland Images (Pt. 2: The second time around)

Agcrisco

Cyburbian

Last edited:

Rem

Cyburbian
Persevere and conquer eh Agcrisco? (My old School motto BTW). Thanks for the pics - these virtual tours are one of the best things about Cyburbia.

Agcrisco

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Persevere and conquer eh Agcrisco? (My old School motto BTW). Thanks for the pics - these virtual tours are one of the best things about Cyburbia.

My college try. I dont go to Portland too much, but when I do, ill take more pics. I live 45 mins away. I havent been there too much during the day, but the one building that shocked me was "the outdoor store". The outside of it was coverd with ads from the 50s-60s. That block is preserved in the same way. You can not tell from the ify quality, but the store ranks up there if not better than Columbia's flagship store in terms of quality merchandice and atmosphere (better).

Rem

Cyburbian
I did notice the Outdoor Store - indeed I made a mental note that next time I was looking for English Riding Apparel, I would call in. ;-)

Sadly we have very little independant, unique retailing left in Australia - anything as big as the Outdoor Store would almost certainly be part of a national or multi-national chain. There is one significant exception in Sydney, a company called Gowings, but the idiosyncracies of stores in different towns and cities have largely been replaced by the blandness and sameness of the chain store. :-\

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
yeah, that's what I like the most about Portland..it's independent retaling shops. there was an article in yesterdays paper about how small independent retailers are falling by the wayside when newer larger and incorporated establishments come to town. it's sad to see the fixtures of the community go under.