• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Portland, Oregon - Tri-Met/MAX highlights (with photos!)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Portland, Oregon - MAX highlights

From 24 September to 27 September, I was taking in the sights in Portland, Oregon. On the morning of the 25th, I parked the rental car at the Milliken Way park and ride lot in Beaverton, bought an all day transit pass for US$4.00 from one of the ticket vending machines, and spent the day hopping on and off the train.

The following are some highlights of the MAX system. Larger images can be seen in the Cyburbia Gallery at http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery . I'll be posting more images of Portland through the day.

The light rail trains and streetcars are very quiet, and they accelerate quickly. Station and general information announcements are clear, and presented automatically with a female voice in English, and the standard "muy macho" Univision-style male voice in Spanish. There are no door chimes.

Interior of MAX low level boarding light rail car.
1portland_max_016-med.jpg

Bicycle in MAX light rail car.
1portland_max_021-med.jpg

Next station name display on MAX train.
1portland_max_005-med.jpg

Red (Airport) line MAX train, as seen from Blue Line train.
1portland_max_014-med.jpg

Gesham City Hall MAX station, with urban village style Gresham Square shopping center in background.
1portland_max_013-med.jpg

Gesham City Hall MAX station signage and park and ride lot.
1portland_max_012-med.jpg

Portland Streetcar stop in the Rose District.
1portland_max_011-med.jpg

Portland Streetcar stop in the Rose District.
1portland_max_010-med.jpg

Portland Streetcar.
1portland_max_009-med.jpg

MAX ticket vending machine in downtown Portland.
1portland_max_008-med.jpg

A woman eats lunch on a semicolon at the PGE Park MAX station.
1portland_max_007-med.jpg

Exclamation point seating at PGE Park MAX station.
1portland_max_006-med.jpg

Waiting train at the Washington Park MAX station. This is the only subway station on MAX.
1portland_max_001-med.jpg

Entrance to Washington Park MAX station, accessible only by elevator. The park and ride lot can be seen in the distance.
1portland_max_000-med.jpg

Goose Hollow MAX station.
1portland_max_019-med.jpg

Goose Hollow MAX station, with transit oriented development in background.
1portland_max_020-med.jpg

Hehehehehehe ...
1portland_max_022-med.jpg

Orenco Station in Hillsboro.
1portland_max_023-med.jpg

Waiting for a night train at Orenco Station.
1portland_max_026-med.jpg

Sunset view of cantenary and power wires at Orenco Station.
1portland_max_025-med.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A few images I forgot.

MAX train arrives at Pioneer Square in downtown Portland.
1portland_max_034-med.jpg

Folks waiting for a train downtown.
1portland_max_029-med.jpg

MAX train departing from Yamhill District station.
1portland_max_028-med.jpg

Trains arriving and departing from Orenco Station.
1portland_max_027-med.jpg

Tri-Met bus in downtown Portland.
1portland_max_033-med.jpg

PGE Park MAX station.
1portland_max_032-med.jpg

Bicycle lids at the PGE Park MAX station.
1portland_max_031-med.jpg

Timeline with accompanying core sample, on the wall of the Washington Park MAX station.
1portland_max_030-med.jpg

Pi.
1portland_max_003-med.jpg

bocian

Cyburbian
Maaan, this is a U.S. city? If it was not for the fact that I was told it was Portland, I'd very much assume it was somehere in Germany or France!
Awesome pictures - I'm joining the (must be huge by now) line of those moving to Portland..
Ps. The bike standing up-right on the train - that's the first time I've seen it - it seems to work well + takes up little space. I remember trying to put my bike on the subway in Chicago - aside from passengers being unhappy about it, conductor telling me I was 5 minutes late to be able to place my bike on the train, I felt very uneasy taking up so much space - oh, well..
ps 2: pictures also depicit the fact that Portland is also very white, but young at the same time - would you call it an "outdoorsy" kind of city?...

moose

bocian said:

ps 2: pictures also depicit the fact that Portland is also very white, but young at the same time - would you call it an "outdoorsy" kind of city?...
Yeah, Portland IS very white. It happens. So is very northern CA and the rest of OR. I haven't spent enough time in WA to say for sure, but I would bet that the case is similar there, too.

But at the same time, what ethnic diversity I do see here in Portland is well-integrated, in an almost cheesy, PC kind of way. this is not a bad thing, mind you, just different for me, coming from CA, where there's a rainbow of colors, but each color tends to associate with others of that color. Here, all the colors mix and mingle.

I would definately say that Portland is an "outdoorsy" city. Columbia brand clothing and outdoor gear is headquartered here, and seems to be a point of pride for the city. Outdoor recreation is very popular -- a given, really, with all the fantastic recreational opportunities here.

It's a great place. I love it.

moose

Now Dan, are you planning on coming back and take some more photos of Portland when it's raining? Because it's been known to do that from time to time....

nerudite

Cyburbian
Great photos Dan! I still can't believe Vancouver (WA that is) voted down the proposition to extend MAX up to its downtown. It would have changed Clark County for the better. It's such a great system, I only wish it had light rail to PDX when I lived there!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
moose said:
Now Dan, are you planning on coming back and take some more photos of Portland when it's raining? /B]

About a month after I get a phone call from the planning department where I interviewed saying "yeah, we'll hire you." (Clue ... they should "just do it." :D )

moose

Dan said:
About a month after I get a phone call from the planning department where I interviewed saying "yeah, we'll hire you." (Clue ... they should "just do it." :D )
Hey, me first. I already live here.

jzt83

Cyburbian
I live in Portland for 6.5 months and it was aestetically pleasing, but just boring. Perhaps I didn't give the place much of a chance. I'll visit again in the future though. BTW. It's the Paerl District, not the Rose District. Did you visited the world's largest independent book store? Also did you konw Matt Groening is from Portland? He named many of the characters after names of the streets. Mayor Quimby, Herb Powell, Flanders, etc.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Once again Dan, great pics.
Sounds like you might be getting a lot of company if you get that job in Beaverton. Good luck!