• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Post a map of the places you've visited

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
http://www.world66.com/myworld66 - click on a list of states, provinces and countries you've visited, and make a map!

I need to get out more.

Moderator note:

(It's okay to hotlink from the site, given the copy-and-paste image code you're given.)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Interesting website to graphically illustrate a previous thread.

JNL

Cyburbian
15 countries, or 6% for me :)

I've only actually been to a couple of places in the US and Canada...

Next trip I think will be Fiji, then South East Asia.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I've really got to get back to traveling. New England and the rest of Canuckistan needs me. :D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
OMG! So many red states. Can't I make them blue?

Jordanb, just hop in the car and start driving... oh, wait... ;)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian

Specifically:
US:

Canada:

And Argentina.... well only patagonic cities near Chile and Valdivia.... :p

I still have a lot of time to travel, and I probably beat a lot of my geography classmates, some barely know Chile.. :-c :cool:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member

East Coast primarily for me.....with a few midwest states mixed in during the college years....

As for Canada....

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian

Outside the US, I've only been to Ontario so I won't bother with the other maps. For someone with dual citizenship, I certainly am not very international in my travels.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Pasted code and did not get the map, am I missing / not understanding something ?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
AubieTurtle said:
For someone with dual citizenship, I certainly am not very international in my travels.
How do you manage to get dual citizenship? My grandfather had it until he turned 18 in 1927, and had to decide on the US or Germany. I thought as an adult you did not have the ability to be a citizen of both the US and another country. Has that changed?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My map doesn't post right (leaves off half the states I selected). But it would look sad - and that generously includes some states I just drove through as a kid. Oregon is the only state west of the Appalachians.

spokanite

Cyburbian
I used to travel a lot...Lots of places i still need to visit though. Haven't been out of the country since '98....ugh.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member

Most of the eastern U.S. & Canuckistan was one giant road trip. Considering that I now work and have other obligations, the chances of doing a massive road trip west is pretty remote.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Seabishop said:
My map doesn't post right (leaves off half the states I selected). But it would look sad - and that generously includes some states I just drove through as a kid. Oregon is the only state west of the Appalachians.
When you get the photo properties from the World66 site you have to make sure to get the entire link. I screwed up the first time a posted my map by missing the last part that scrolls down below and ended up only visiting Mass, Rhode Island and Vermont.

teshadoh

Cyburbian
Also been to Tijuana, Mexico & Montreal & Vancouver Canada:

Now as a true mark of my geekiness, I also have a GIS project that I have coded all counties & cities by a rate of how much I've visited. Often it only shows a long jerrymandered looking polygon selection based on interstate highway travels. But in areas such as Georgia & South Carolina, it's down to only a handful of counties I've yet to visit.

Last edited:

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
How do you manage to get dual citizenship? My grandfather had it until he turned 18 in 1927, and had to decide on the US or Germany. I thought as an adult you did not have the ability to be a citizen of both the US and another country. Has that changed?
I was born in the US to Canadian parents. So I'm a US citizen by virtue of being born here and a Canadian citizen by virtue of having Canadian parents. That doesn't mean that the US recognizes my Canadian citizenship. If I travel abroad with a Canadian passport instead of the US, I am breaking US law. Being a dual citizen means being subject to more laws.

As far as I know Canada recognizes both citizenships but if I got arrested in Canada, I wouldn't be able to call the US Embassy to help me out.

boiker

Cyburbian
....I am the least traveled.

My visit into Tijuana, Mexico was to obtain cheap knock-off t-shirts and the like. I was in Mexico for only an hour. :(

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
boiker,
What about Neveda? Las Vegas is still looking for a competent planner, eh? ;-)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
*shrug* This doesnt get down to the dark crack alley level. No fun...

noj

Cyburbian
Visited Countries

I'm sure theres been a thread somewhere or other on here about countries where we've been to, but this site allows you to do quite a good map type thing of where you've been to. This appeals to me as I am a little bit of a map geek.

Anyway, to start the ball rolling, heres mine:

A bit rubbish really, if the truth were known. I've not been to Asia at all (aside from a small bit of Turkey and some of the Middle East), nor Australasia or barely any of Africa. Also not been to any of South America. All these places I'd like to go to. One day.....

Also, for those interested there's a similar one for the US States. I've not filled that one in myself as it would look particularly crap for me.

Edit: Apologies for making a new thread - this one was started before I was around. Thanks for merging them.

Last edited:

Budgie

Cyburbian
U.S., Great Britain, France, Netherlands, Germany, Spain and Mexico.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
U.S., Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, England, Germany, France, Italy, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, the Vatican, the Netherlands, Bahamas

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Lame: Mexico, Iceland, England, Belgium, Germany and Danmark.

Not so Lame: All states except Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Moderator note:

Threads merged. Please note: this is an old thread with a bunch of pre-rule leeched images. If you're going to post a reply and attach a map, please do not leech it. Thanks

Edit: The website Dan liks to allows leeching of the images. Apologies.

Last edited:

jmello

Cyburbian

Moderator note:

Images restored after confirmation of world66.com allowing leeching of the maps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trinity Moses

A lenghty layover at Shannon airports duty free shop does not count as a visit to Ireland, so just one country beyond Norte Americano...but to be honest, for Canada its just been Ontario, and for Mexico its just been Juarez.

Do buisness trips * "just passing throuhg" count? That explains alot of this map, including that outlier of Massachussets (sp!)

Ass. Planner

Cyburbian
I only did the States map since the only countries other than the US I have been to are Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Ireland.

Two edits later and I still can't figure out how to post this picture! :-@

Trinity Moses

...and Ontario.

...to be a bit more honest these are states I actually visited in on vacation, visiting relatives, and lived in, so .....less well travelled

zman

Cyburbian

Here are my states. NOt all of 'em, and I am pretty close to Nebraska but still haven't bagged that one yet.

Canadian provinces include Quebec (visiting family), Ontario (an illegal camping night in Quetico Provincial Park :-$), and British Columbia (Vancouver and Kootenay Lake)

I have also been to Mexico and Belize. THAT is the extent of this planner's travels.

The One

Cyburbian
Hey

zmanPLAN said:

Here are my states. NOt all of 'em, and I am pretty close to Nebraska but still haven't bagged that one yet.

Canadian provinces include Quebec (visiting family), Ontario (an illegal camping night in Quetico Provincial Park :-$), and British Columbia (Vancouver and Kootenay Lake)

I have also been to Mexico and Belize. THAT is the extent of this planner's travels.
Zman, you know who to call when you get to Miami....PARTY!!!! :b: :b: :b: :b: :8: :8: :b: :victory: :victory: :-b :-b +o(
Nebraska.......take your time.... :cool: ;-)

zman

Cyburbian
The One said:
Zman, you know who to call when you get to Miami....PARTY!!!! :b: :b: :b: :b: :8: :8: :b: :victory: :victory: :-b :-b +o(
Nebraska.......take your time.... :cool: ;-)
For Nebraska, I'm just going over the border to say I been there. Nothing else there for me. (Sorry Mileage, unless you wanna let me in on some of your secret fly fishing spots ;-) )

Miami, I am there. Party time, we'll show 'em the UNC boys can put it away!

I am not sure this is perfectly accurate -- I don't remember all the details of the trek diagonally across the country from Washington State to Georgia, through two blizzards :-| -- but I think it is fairly close:

I have also lived in Germany twice -- once as a tot (which I don't remember) and once as an adult for almost 4 years -- and my plane refueled on the ground in Canada on my way to Deutschland. :-D

circusoflife

Cyburbian
I have also lived in Germany twice -- once as a tot (which I don't remember) and once as an adult for almost 4 years -- and my plane refueled on the ground in Canada on my way to Deutschland. :-D
Did you not visit any of the surrounding countries?

dobopoq

Cyburbian
Quote:
"Two edits later and I still can't figure out how to post this picture!" Me too Ass. Planner. I can't figure out how to make the images post for my travels either. What's the 411?

This is a cool site. Thanks Dan. I need to travel more too. I really feel sorry for middle aged people who have never gone outside their country let alone their own state. Travel is a priviledge, made much easier by fossil fuels but also aided by lengthier vacations. Most Americans could travel more than they do, if they were willing to be less materialistic.

"Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way"

- Pink Floyd - "Time"

dobopoq said:
I can't figure out how to make the images post for my travels. What's the 411?
A) You have to use VB, not HTML
B) Be GLAD they didn't post -- posting them that way is called 'image leaching' and can get you suspended from Cyburbia for a while.

NEVERMIND -- this site does allow image leeching. :-$

dobopoq

Cyburbian
A) You have to use VB, not HTML
How do you designate something as VB versus HTML? Is it in how you save it to your hard drive? I don't have a website of my own, so I can't host from my own bandwidth. In my Netscape browser I have options to save the map image to my hard drive as either a GIF or ALL FILES. Does all files include VB? I'm sure it can't be that hard. Thanks for your help.

circusoflife

Cyburbian
dobopoq said:
Quote:

is a priviledge, made much easier by fossil fuels but also aided by lengthier vacations. Most Americans could travel more than they do, if they were willing to be less materialistic.

- Pink Floyd - "Time"
And suburbia and/or large homes is related to materialism -- which is one reason why I think we should find a wealthy benefactor to sponsor all city planners, architects, developers, and some govt officials, and heck in some cases - citizens (USA to start - find one benefactor/country) who haven't been out of the US to see how other places are planned / arranged. Seeing is believing. Experiencing is believing. And for whether or not one has been outside their home country -- the trick is to go to specific places....and see with the right set of eyes.

I've said it before...it is one thing to KNOW, another thing to BELIEVE. This is off-thread topic somewhat - but related. I'll start a thread on this someday. Must finish identifying the cities of note though. Getting close...

dobopoq said:
How do you designate something as VB versus HTML? Is it in how you save it to your hard drive? I don't have a website of my own, so I can't host from my own bandwidth. In my Netscape browser I have options to save the map image to my hard drive as either a GIF or ALL FILES. Does all files include VB? I'm sure it can't be that hard. Thanks for your help.
It is okay to "leech" the image. Just generate the map on the website, then right click on it and select the properties. Copy the URL info into the box when you select the INSERT IMAGE icon on the toolbar above (Next to the globe)

Last edited by a moderator:

dobopoq

Cyburbian
circusoflife said:
It is okay to "leech" the image. Just generate the map on the website, then right click on it and select the properties. Copy the URL info into the box when you select the INSERT IMAGE icon on the toolbar above (Next to the globe)
okay, on your advice, here goes nothing:

Yeah! Alright circusoflife, thanks! Third times a charm!