• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Post a map of the places you've visited

dobopoq

Cyburbian
circusoflife said:
you must feel incomplete Dobopoq - for according to your map - you have not been to Las Vegas!!! :)
I gambled once on horses at a racetrack in Laurel Maryland. I came out $30 richer. I quit while I was ahead. That was enough for me.

How about you, circusoflife - would you show us your maps? With you I take it, the question isn't "where have you been?" but rather, "where haven't you been?"

circusoflife

Cyburbian
dobopoq said:
How about you, circusoflife - would you show us your maps? With you I take it, the question isn't "where have you been?" but rather, "where haven't you been?"
My friend, the world is a HUGE place. The list of countries (Let alone places) far exceeds where I have been. Besides that - one could go to 100+ countries (191 recognized by the UN) and still have seen very little. I live by the philosophy -

The real voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes

In other words - you could "check off" less countries but learn more - if you know what to look for. There is a minimum geographical range though I would say in terms of getting a more complete view.

Most all of my travel has come recently. Prior to 24yo - I had only been to Taiwan a few times, Tijuana,Mexico and Canada - which doesn't count for much when you live in Michigan and Washington.

But here it is:

passdoubt

Cyburbian
This is not including places I've only driven through/changed planes in/etc

+ Canada (Ontario and Quebec) and Mexico (Baja and Sonora)

circusoflife said:
It is okay to "leech" the image. Just generate the map on the website, then right click on it and select the properties. Copy the URL info into the box when you select the INSERT IMAGE icon on the toolbar above (Next to the globe)
Oh, um, yeah -- Duh -- I read the original announcement and didn't read the update. :-$

Sorry.

Boru

Cyburbian

6%. Only 6%. Oh well, the banana republics dont interest me quite so much. I would like to see more of the middle east and arabia though. I hope this map works :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Montrealer

The more countries and places you see, the more you feel like there's much more to see out there...

Last edited:

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
map of states you've visited

So, we know SAC has been to all of the lower 48. I have also plus Hawaii.
Anyone else? Just more curious than anything.

I think grading all the states would be very difficult and certainly applaud the effort.
Still need to find time to read more of the reasoning though.

And in regards to the two pieces of Colorado that you have seen, while I love the 4 Corners area and despise most of the Colorado/Wyoming border, you have definitely not seen even 1% of what Colorado offers.

:b: Cheers
i thought that prana's post on the other thread would be an interesting topic. plus, i found this cool site (that some of you probably know about already) that illustrates the states which you've visited. found at: world66.com. you can also do maps of countries etc.

Last edited:

martini

Cyburbian
Hey, this is kinda neat. Been a few places myself, but not nearly enough of them. Besides the US, I've made the swing from Niagra to Michigan on the Canada side, plus a visit to Germany, East Germany(way back when!) and Austria.

There you have it. And there's more to see. I'd love to get down to Chili and Argentina, over to India and see Australia and New Zealand. Oh! and Iceland too!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
2 years and pretty much nothing has changed... No new visited countries, since all my vacations have been in the national scale.

Planit

Cyburbian

My luggage went to Israel by mistake one time (but I didn't count that)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's mine....obviously I need to get busy on visiting the Midwest and the Northeast.

My international map is pretty pitiful, hopefully that will change in the next few years.

mgk920

Cyburbian
OK, here's mine

;-)

Not that much of a World traveler :p

As for states in the USA:

And for the Canuckis in the crowd, I've been to:

Time to go roadtripping again, I'd say!

:)

Mike

rosierivets

Cyburbian
I can't get this to work either, i've copied all the code. Let's just say that I desperately need to travel internationally.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Updating an old thread.

I was cleaning out some of my old attachments when i came across these beauties and saw they were out of date.
My updated maps of the world and the US.

Attachments

Last edited:

jsk1983

Cyburbian
24 states but looks like only a quarter of the country. Somehow I've avoided WV, been within a few miles but never in it as far as I know.

CJC

Cyburbian
Fun site!

Russia to be checked off next year with a three week trip :)

Luca

Cyburbian
Ok here we go (the US map only includes sttees I've actually spent time in (as oppsoed to drive thru / fly into)

statemap.jpg

worldmap.jpg

countrymap.jpg

b3nr

Cyburbian
Given I only visited these states, you can see why my view of American planning is less than positive...

I also been to Morrocco. And yes, im not lying! I went to Lichenstien, Monocco and Andorra!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Updated U.S. Map thanks to a grand tour of the NE in September.

Updated World Map reflecting CapAsia trip Jan-April '08

Tide

Cyburbian

It would be more if I counted lay over flights in TX, UT, KY, and MI

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
If could figure out how to do this, I'd post my states. I am so not a geek. :r:

Awww, screw it.

Good thing there is no shortage of geeks around here :)

Last edited:

zman

Cyburbian
Since mine got ousted from before... a Friday update:

USA

Canuckistan

The World (Not very "travelled" Continentally)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Here's mine.
Dood, you need to update your map. I got a picture of you spooning a Tuna in Florida and sticking your tongue in my ear in Texas. Oh, and that nose picker in Colorado. :p :-c +o( :s:

SuperPenguin

Cyburbian

The non-contiguous Florida is due to a plane trip. I refuse to count a state as "visited" if all I did was connect through the airport. If I counted airports, I'd add Georgia (Atlanta) and Illinois (Chicago).

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Here is mine. I'm still young though...this map will fill in. Also, I get strange looks from people all the time when I say I've never been to Indiana or Michigan, since I live in Chicagoland.

Attachments

donk

Cyburbian

and

finally

I am cheating a bit with alaska, I went to the pass and crossed over into what is "offiically" alaska, but we did not have proper ID to clear customs, so we turned around and went back to the yukon.

Monamogolo

Cyburbian
Deleted...I obviously don't know how to make the hotlink work.
whatever, the result according to the world66 page was that I have visited 26% of the world's countries. Could have fooled me!

Last edited:

Masswich

Cyburbian
OK here goes... skipping the "drive through" or "changed planes" or "train whistled through in the middle of the night" places...

Masswich

Cyburbian
Oops. I forgot British Columbia on my map, and it doesn't seem to be editable. But it was only in Vancouver for an afternoon.

zman

Cyburbian
Alright, I was keeping this to my self, but you Holier than Thou people who "Don't count airport stops" need to blow your toffeenose and come back to reality.

Airport stops count. That's how I got Texas and the only way I will count my visiting Texas. (Sorry, Brother Burb Fixer)

I never understood not counting airport stops, but those who don't count them seem to exuding this this aura of arrogance and frankly I'm sick of it.

Airport stops count for DOUBLE points if'n you have a bowel movement while on the layover.

THERE... I said it. :-|

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Uh, zmanPLAN? That was way more than we needed to know. :-c :-x

This looks pathetic. Evidently I am not very well-traveled. Maybe I should have counted those airports where I changed planes; that would have given me at least three other states.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This coming Sunday, my map will look like this. The unvisiteds are Connecticut, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota, Montana, and Idaho. Connecticut won't be that hard to get in the future -- just a long Sunday drive. The Upper Midwest is going to be more of a challenge.

44 states.png