• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Post pics of your kids, yourself, and your pets - Part II

Otis

Cyburbian
We picked up a new dog for a test run last night. :w: It is a 7-year-old collie we got through Collie Rescue (Mrs. Otis really, really wanted a collie). He has been a farm dog almost all his life, so we're trying him out to see how he adjusts to life in town. We don't want him to be miserable. The farm he came from had horses, goats, two absolutely huge (150 lb) anatolian shepards, chickens, and cats. We have one cat. Solomon (the collie) went right up to the cat to make friends when we got him home.

He seems really sweet. I took him for a walk last night and another this morning before work, and he's just so well behaved. And he loves the walks, just prancing along and sniffing and marking. I suspect Mrs. Otis has taken him for a long walk in the woods or on the beach today. I wonder how he reacts to the beach, as I suspect he never has been near crashing waves.

Something else he never has encountered is a flight of stairs. The three stairs up to the deck are fine with him as he had a similar set-up on the farm. But the whole flight of stairs has him scared. Since we live mostly on the second story of our house (garage, weird room, laundry room, and train room below) he is going to have to figure them out. I have no doubt that he will, but right now he is having a hard time figuring out what to do with his hind legs on them. He are not pushing him but letting him decide how to handle them. I'm sure he will get it figured out quickly as he seems really smart, and has already learned what to do in response to the command "Kitchen!" which means "get out of the." And which right now also means "there is a treat in the living room."

Pictures when the camera is working.

natski

Cyburbian
Congrats Otis! Your post reminded me of a picture i took of my beautiful sister before her formal (prom) last month, with mum and dads Collies Abbie and Indie. They are such sweet puppies!

6561338383_12b2c30e49.jpg

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We have a half-collie (other half husky) and she is the sweetest girl I have ever known. Collies will attach themselves and give unconditional love and devotion to their family, but they may be protective when it comes to outsiders. They may also try to herd the other members of the family, including the cat.

Ours will be 13 on New Years Day. She is really starting to struggle and sometimes even needs help getting to her feet. Stairs are out of the question and I have to carry her up and down since we all sleep on the second floor. At 65 pounds, this can be a little difficult for some. On the other hand, she is soft, silky, snuggly, and warm to sleep against.

I hope you colloe gives you as much happiness as ours has given us. Congratulations!

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Congratulations on the new family member Otis! I hope he settles right in. It is so nice adopting an older dog that has lost his home. The rescue pups are always the most appreciative of affection.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Even in winter, ZG's cat likes drinking from the hose when we refill the pool...just not as often.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Even in winter, ZG's cat likes drinking from the hose when we refill the pool...just not as often.

I love that little seven pound cat. She is such an optimist. I had a horrible dream last night where she was killed by a nest of water moccasins. I hate my dreams.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Cats have such diverse personalities. I love the photo of your cat, ZG. :)
Thanks. She's the queen and she knows it. We had an 18 y.o cat who died 6 years ago; she was the first one to learn to tap me with her paw to get my attention. Our boy cat learned from watching her. Our young girl cat learned from watching him. But the little girl in the photo? Nope, she would never deign to tap for attention; it is her due. Oddly, she is the only one who actively seeks RJ's attention; sometimes he gives in.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
So RJ can be a big softy. ;)
Sure. He turns on the hose for her, even if he doesn't have to put water in the pool. He fills her water bowl on the patio. He plays doorman, letting her in and out (screened pool patio, not running loose, I have all indoor cats). And sometimes he actually pets her. On the other hand, he has no sympathy for the boy cat, who is so intensely jealous of RJ.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our new baby girl is a week old today :)

Otis

Cyburbian
We were down in Eugene last night for a dance performance, and I took Solomon (the new collie) out for walks around downtown near the hotel. He is a serious chick magnet! Everybody wants to stop and pet him. Wish I had known this earlier.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We were down in Eugene last night for a dance performance, and I took Solomon (the new collie) out for walks around downtown near the hotel. He is a serious chick magnet! Everybody wants to stop and pet him. Wish I had known this earlier.
Seeing as this is a picture posting thread, I demand photographic evidence! :D

wahday

Cyburbian
Congrats kjel! That is one tremendously content looking baby. Hope she brings you endless joy!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
An updated photo of Little Miss at 3.5 weeks old. She's starting to get the chubby baby look :)

Jen

Cyburbian
Indeed, what a cutie she is!

has she found any fuzzy caterpillars yet? (nursery rhyme..little arabella miller found a fuzzy caterpillar..)

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife took advantage of the good weather and took our daughter to the zoo today. I guess she wasn't nearly as interested in the animals as she was in the playground.

zoo2small.jpg

zoo3small.jpg

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
So many cute kids our little community has.
Maybe there is still hope for humanity
*Cancels reservation at the Planet Adamas Zombie Apocalypse Compound*

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
My wife took advantage of the good weather and took our daughter to the zoo today. I guess she wasn't nearly as interested in the animals as she was in the playground.
Not even the polar bears or the stinky pengiun house?

I used to think that our penguin house had poor housekeeping, then I realized after visiting a few other zoos that they all smell that way! :-o

Mendelman when I was your kids age my parents had us at one of the local Public Houses for St Patrick's day learning lewd songs and jokes so the next day the nun's would take us out of class and wash our mouths with soap! I miss those days. I remember one night I was about 14 and had to go up to the Tipperary Pub and drive home about my parents and about 8 highly inebrieated neighbors as by then it was unsafe to walk at night! It was okay because half of the people I had to drive home were Detroit Police Officers!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Dominican side of the family before the presentation of the baby at the church....Grandpa, Godmother Ramona, Proud Papa, me, and of course Baby Arabella.

kms

Cyburbian
kjel, this is a nice picture. Congratulations on Arabella's presentation.

Planit

Cyburbian
A man, a good beer, and his dog on the deck. Yes it was a beautifull Sunday afternoon.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because she's so darn cute! Arabella at 4 months old...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Arabella 9 Months

Taken this past week in the Dominican Republic at Boca Chica.

Tide

Cyburbian
My wife and me at a farm yesterday for our Harvest and Christmas pictures. The one of the kids is great, and I'll post that when it's ready. The family picture is the best one yet, but it's our Christmas Card picture so I'll post that one closer to Christmas.

xm6L3vh.jpg

Moderator note:

(Dan) uploaded the image to imgur due to malware warnings.

beach_bum

Cyburbian
My wife and me at a farm yesterday for our Harvest and Christmas pictures. The one of the kids is great, and I'll post that when it's ready. The family picture is the best one yet, but it's our Christmas Card picture so I'll post that one closer to Christmas.

xm6L3vh.jpg
saw this on fb! Great photo!

Tide

Cyburbian
And the boys.... Jackson 3.5/yrs and Lucas 21/mo

PfHCcfC.jpg

Moderator note:

(Dan) Uploaded image to imgur.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Screecher at 4 weeks old.

all_my_hats_small.jpg

The hats behind him are all handmade by his Situ. We have a monkey, lion, tiger, koala, giraffe (my favorite), panda, zebra, frog, and an elephant (which has a matching pea coat).

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
Screecher at 4 weeks old.

all_my_hats_small.jpg

The hats behind him are all handmade by his Situ. We have a monkey, lion, tiger, koala, giraffe (my favorite), panda, zebra, frog, and an elephant (which has a matching pea coat).
Being from frogtown, won't that hat give him a complex growing up!?! Cute pic. Spoiled boy. ;) At least he looks like he is sleepin'!

wahday

Cyburbian
My 12 year old and I getting ready for the Day of the Tread ride last weekend. We did the 26 mile segment. It was a blast, but a little chilly until things warmed up!

TS, this is the one that was so fussy as a baby. See? They really do grow up and stop crying!
8138877368_67a7bf5879_c.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
They are all witches sometime

Here's the girl and her best friend before heading out to beg for candy.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
wahday Looks like you two are having fun! And yes, no tears in sight!

Planit What cuties!

And Sea Monkey's first Halloween...

first_halloween_costume.jpg

He didn't last very long. The excitement of getting dressed + a full belly = sleeping sock monkey.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We were looking for a trike for our daughter and I wanted a metal one with rubber tires but my wife didn't want to spend more than $30... Enter Craigslist.

The girl couldn't have been happier when we opened the door to the front porch and she saw it yesterday.