• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Post planning career

Rem

Cyburbian
tsc said:
.... then head to the Keys for mud season.....

tsc what is this mud season of which you speak?

Not like a scout jamboree is it?

treasure_comp0901.jpg

tsc

Cyburbian
mud season = march and april.... when all the snow melts and the land turns to mud

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I agree with EG - being door gunner on the enforcement chopper would be fun. I have also considered an enforcement bulldozer, but that doesn't make for a quick getaway.

Having no retirement plan except Social Security and the pitiable remains of a fund that was split in half just before the market collapsed (it might recover enough to buy some groceries when I'm 70), I should probably be figuring out several future careers. Park Ranger is my top choice right now, and I am trying to decide if I can survive the law enforcement training at my age. But I am definitely thinking about something that allows me to work in the wilderness.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Lee Nellis said:
Park Ranger is my top choice right now, and I am trying to decide if I can survive the law enforcement training at my age. But I am definitely thinking about something that allows me to work in the wilderness.

Sorry, but all of those jobs will be privatized soon. "Welcome to your national parks... sponsored by Weyerhauser."

Rem

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
Hey, that's me! ;-)
MP - don't shatter the illusion. In my mind's eye you are at least 10 years older and have .... wait. Must stay work safe, must stay work safe, must .....

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I want to open my own video store, or maybe use my right-brain a little more than I have previously. It would be cool to be a musician or artist. Travel will hopefully be included in whatever happens.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bump. This was/is a good thread and kind of topical given the state of the economy.

What alternate career would you envision for yourself if not working in the planning field?

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Unrealistic - Get a beach or a lake house spend summers there; the rest of the time I would travel the world. Maybe do some volunteer stints in diff. countries.

Slightly realistic - Open a chocolate shop/bakery. Dandy's Decadent Delights

Realistic - I'll be working until the grave. :-c

I need a sugar daddy. :f::sttm::f:

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
If I wasn't doing planning I would either be a journalist or a cook. I dabbled in some journalism when I was in school writing for my university papers. I enjoyed getting to interview the people I interviewed, including a senate candidate, who later won her seat.

As a hobby I love cooking and cooked while I was in college (granted it was Crapplebee's). I think it would be awesome to go to culinary school.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Unrealistic - Get a beach house spend summers there; Maybe do some volunteer stints
Slightly realistic - ]
Realistic - I'll be working until the grave. :-c

I need a sugar daddy. :f::sttm::f:

1. got that, would love to; doing some already, could do more.
2. not sure
3. agreed

4. not me. :lmao:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Unrealistic - Start a small winery and vineyard
Slightly Unrealistic - Start a small restaurant
Realistic - Building my dream house and work on the large amount of acreage that I bought.

I will retire at 53 with thirty years, so I will have a lot of time to have fun, assuming my retirement exists then....

Planit

Cyburbian
16 years to go until Wee P gets out of college (although I'll have 30 years in the system in 11 years).

So in the Year 2025 (almost sounds like a song doesn't it?):
Fantasy: traveling the world without a care
Sligthy realistic: working on the side on redevelopment projects, as a ranger at the golf course and knocking out a bucket list
Realistic: working on my house and Habitat houses

Rygor

Cyburbian
Hopefully I'll be living near a beach by the time I retire, preferably on the coast of Oregon. I'll own a local gym similar to "Average Joe's" but will mostly get by on my pension and the wife's pension (which should be good since she'll have been a university professor for a number of years by then!) and social security if there is any left. I might also own a few rental properties for extra income and will dabble around with various hobbies.

Tresmo

Cyburbian
I plan to sit around on my a$$ at home while my husband works and then open a shop that sells my homemade hair scrunchies in a lime green shop next to other women who do the same. :r: *At a financial loss. But I won't care because I love to fritter away my husband's money! Teehee.

Seriously, nursing school. Maybe wearing, if it were my color, lime green scrubs.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
A mysterious benefactor offers Dan funding for Cyburbia in perpetuity under the condition that ofos is given a generous annual stipend (6 figures with cost of living increases) for providing daily witticism, sarcasm, and topically unrelated commentaries in the Friday Afternoon Club forum. Dan wisely accepts and I'm set for life. That's my plan.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'd like to own/operate a little tavern or brewpub type of place.

I like the idea of running a bar, but even that sounds like too much work. I need a job where I can sit and do nothing. Maybe I'll write a book on how to sit and do nothing. Chapter 1 write a book on how to make money doing nothing. The End
Please buy my book.;)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I like the idea of running a bar, but even that sounds like too much work. I need a job where I can sit and do nothing. Maybe I'll write a book on how to sit and do nothing. Chapter 1 write a book on how to make money doing nothing. The End
Please buy my book.;)

Here's an idea on how to make thousands of dollars doing next to nothing:
Take out an ad in a bunch of newspapers saying "would you like to make thousands of dollars doing next to nothing? Just send $10 to XXXX to find out how!" Respond to everyone who sends you $10 with a note saying "Take out an ad in a bunch of newspapers saying 'would you like to make thousands of dollars doing next to nothing? Just send $10 to XXXX to find out how!"

DVD

Cyburbian
I like the way you think, although opening all those envelopes and responding to people sounds like work to me. If we're gonna be lazy, let's go all the way.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
What is this retirement, post planning career that you talk about? As others have mentioned, my post planning career will probably be worm collector in the graveyard.:not::-c

Jazzman

Cyburbian
Hmmm to tell you the truth I'm just happy about the prospect of being able to retire with 30 years of work experience at age 55 or so.......my dad's older than that, but he's still busting his butt every day in the steel mill, and will be for maybe another 8-10 years or so. :not:

One more reason to go into the field............

In any case, if I weren't a planner I think I'd like to be a college professor. Kind of weird for a 22 year old I guess, but I think it'd be a cool job. I'm a history/politics buff so it'd fit very naturally for me to teach history. I don't have an interest in teaching planning, which is why I don't ever plan on getting my ph.D in it. If I taught anything, it'd be at the college/university level, and it'd be history and/or politcal science.

Wildono

Cyburbian
Best post-planning job?

Psychic Land Use Decision Appeal Hotline! 1-800-STOP-GRO 8-!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Post-planning, as long as I don't actually need to earn any real money, I would go work at a record store or local music store. I'd actually probably be willing to volunteer my time there... as long as they don't call the police and have me dragged away for loitering.

southsideamy

Cyburbian
Geez...I don't even think I'll live long enough to have a post planning career. My husband is 16 year older than me and thinks that I'm his retirement fund. I didn't have kids until my mid-thirties (youngest is 2), so it's another 22-23 years until I'm through paying for college. That puts me at 60 (my husband will be 76!!).

One thing I won't do: become a red hat woman.

One thing I want to do: join the peace corps

One thing I'll probably do: become a full time grandma and garden until my knees wear out.

tsc

Cyburbian
I'd like to become a long-haul truck driver and see the country.

I have always wanted to do this...once. Odd fascination with wanting to see the view and it is kinda like a camper. I would need a really sweet rig though.

But really, I could see growing organic produce and selling it at a local farmer's market.